• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Any lawn and yard fanatics out there? Let me see...

I used to landscape in my younger days and Im still anal about appearances and what I like - My yard is far from big but I bought  a '64 Lock to rebuild and use. I love the cut and striping. I would post pictures but yard is beat after my two dogs use it as a raceway. I think it takes me longer to weed wack and blow everything off than it does to cut it. :cheers:

How do you control weeds being organic and all?

In the garden I just pull em' couldn't possibly do that to my entire yard....

sp33d said:
Awesome man!!!!

Do a monthly feeding of milogranite (I do it every 2 weeks, but I'm crazy like that), also mix in some azomite with the milo twice a year...make sure to put a pre/post emergent down and your KBG will look amazing ...

Also since your sod is fresh or recently done..throw down some vermipods, your soil will love it trust me...I put vermipods down atleast once a year on lawn and garden..
http://unclejimswormfarm.com/index.php/Vermipods/Vermipods-Free-Shipping/flypage.tpl.html
Thanks for the tips!! Will definatly look into these products. In the past we have just used the scotts weed and feed and the winterizer.  Do you think over time the worms (over a couple years) will help amend the soil. I didnt really trust myself enough so we hired out the ground prep to make sure it was done correctly. I still have my doubts on whether it was or not...They brought in some compost to work into the soil but i dont think it was enough, whenever our grass is wet you cannot get on it because our soil has so much clay you just "sink". I think it would have taken ALOT of compost and $$ to make it sturdy when wet. The contactor couldnt even use a tiller to break up the soil, it was so tough they had to go get a claw attachment for thier bobcat. Lots of dirt clumps when we laid the soil. All seems healthy though so thats only complaint :D

sp33d said:
I would have a f@#-!?n Anuyersm if that was my lawn lmao

Hmm I wonder what the original post was hehehe.

I can respect a well-manicured/maintained lawn, clean lines and such. Makes the OCD personality smile.

Just can't quell the desire to flip it all over and start lasanga-ing it into a garden :P

zdecker said:
I'm not super OCD about my yard but I do like to keep it nice. My neighbors, not so much.

Yeah you can tell you aren't OCD, in your second picture your lines don't match up after the bed and that one line is crooked as hell.  :)  It looks great anyway!

Looks good zdecker...looks like you have a fescue mix....dose of ironite would help green that up even more...

Joe fish. I use avenger organic as weed killer and good ol hard work by getting out there and hand pulling ...I am one one with my lawn, as I am with my gardens...

sp33d said:
Looks good zdecker...looks like you have a fescue mix....dose of ironists would help green that up even more...

Joe fish. I use avenger organic as weed killer and good ol hard work by getting out there and hand pulling ...I am one one with my lawn, as I am with my gardens...

Ironists?  Is that like the Ironite that you can buy at Home Depot/Lowes?

I use to love the smell of napalm in the morning when I was in the Corp, now it's the smell of fresh cut grass.. Damn I wish I was able to bottle it...

Semper Fidelis!!!

IMAG1453.jpg

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but do any of you lawn heroes have advice for rampant dandelions, crabgrass and other broadleaf weeds? The former residents of my house seriously neglected the lawn. I applied several rounds of 2,4-D products (spray and granules) to little affect. I've also manually weeded like crazy but am losing the battle. Since my peppers share the backyard, I don't want to apply more selective herbicide until at least late fall. Then, I'll heavily reseed. If money and time were no object, I'd probably nuke it and start over.

Yeah no problem...google "the triangle approach" or go to this link http://aroundtheyard.com/the-news/161-weed-control-the-qtriangle-approachq.html

And good luck...the key is to stay persistent...
hottoddy said:
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but do any of you lawn heroes have advice for rampant dandelions, crabgrass and other broadleaf weeds? The former residents of my house seriously neglected the lawn. I applied several rounds of 2,4-D products (spray and granules) to little affect. I've also manually weeded like crazy but am losing the battle. Since my peppers share the backyard, I don't want to apply more selective herbicide until at least late fall. Then, I'll heavily reseed. If money and time were no object, I'd probably nuke it and start over.

spicy_echo said:
Tifway 420 last october at my house

photo.jpg
Beautiful man...that was my second choice of turf for my lawn renovation ...you keep it really short? I was gonna buy a bad ass mower as well if I went with that turf type...

Sp33d....what did you use for your homemade striper? Piece of metal tubing filled with sand? I found one they sell for my Toro mower but for the price I'm thinking homemade could be better/cheaper.

zdecker said:
Sp33d....what did you use for your homemade striper? Piece of metal tubing filled with sand? I found one they sell for my Toro mower but for the price I'm thinking homemade could be better/cheaper.
Yeah got the metal tubing from Ace hardware and modified it to fit my needs and got the hardware from Lowes ...also got the 6" PVC tube from Lowes and filled it with a mixture of pebble rock and sand...total cost was around $27...

Back