• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Anyone Else Like Fresh Boiled Crawfish?

I am off to eat some crawfish for lunch today CH...I will take my camera and take some pics and show you how I eat them...people in the restaurant will think I'm nuts....

and yeah, the stuff in the head taste like cajun spice and even tho it looks nasty, the texture is pretty nice and tastes delicious...

frozen crawfish aren't good for boiling because they get mushy...you need fresh...frozen is cool to cook with...make an etoufee...that is delicious...

later...

the crawfish I had for lunch yesterday sucked big time...they were very mushy...only saving grace was the spice and taste...I only ate 2 pounds and took no pictures...but....about 4 PM, I headed to another place I know and they had just got crawfish in and they were firm and delicious....ate 6 pounds for supper....

I was stuffed....

AlabamaJack said:
Well, the day I have been waiting for here in north Texas has arrived. I had my first boiled crawfish last night at a local cajun place...

They were absolutely excellent.

The cayenne burn was fantastic...after my first 2 pounds, the corners of my mouth were stinging...mouth was hot, nose was running, sweat pouring...then I had to eat another 2 pounds...then another 2 pounds...

Gotta admit, I love fresh boiled crawfish and they were decent size for first of the season...

I've had crawfish before, but never prepared this way. I've heard about it before though and honestly sounds really good. I've also been interested in making a crayfish trap and catching some around here in the summer. I have a friend that does it every year. It's not common for people to usually trap and eat them here, but she does and I think she cooks them the same way as you were describing. I'll have to try it sometime. Sounds really good AJ!

AlabamaJack said:
the crawfish I had for lunch yesterday sucked big time...they were very mushy...only saving grace was the spice and taste...I only ate 2 pounds and took no pictures...but....about 4 PM, I headed to another place I know and they had just got crawfish in and they were firm and delicious....ate 6 pounds for supper....

I was stuffed....

Alright AJ, I'm getting jealous now. I have to stick to my once a year order unless I'm in New Orleans visiting my folks. 200lbs once a year just does not cut it!

AlabamaJack said:
When are you coming to Houston lost?....

Houston is only about 100 miles from where the best crawfish are grown in southern Louisiana...

where in LA... i use to live in Slidell,LA...ate lots of mudbugs and lots of shrimps... my favorite place to eat bugs and shrimps was in Livingston,LA

chilehunter said:
AJ - all this talk about crawfish, makes me want to give them another shot & try them again. the last time I had them I lost interest in them cuz of the work involved to eat them & then the slime from the head.
do you eat that slime ? what does that taste like ?

head is not "slimey", its full of the juice inside of the pot..lots of hot yummy goodness..lol

You also gotta make sure that the mudbug you are eating was not previously dead before it was boiled... the way to tell it is same as a shrimp, if its curled its good... if its straight after cooking...its was dead..put it back on the tray and grab another..lol

are crawfish the same as crayfish? if so the creeks are lousy with 'em here, but i've never heard of anyone here eating them before. we use them for bait when we go fishing. maybe this summer i'll catch a few extra and try them out...

I love them mudbugs, you betcha. The last good ones I had were in Baton Rouge and they were as big as small lobsters.

AlabamaJack said:
I use Tony Chachere's More Spice blend seasoning and add a little extra cayenne powder to it...

Ya, Tony's is the shiznit of Cajun seasoning. I use it all the time on everything.

GrumpyBear said:
are crawfish the same as crayfish? if so the creeks are lousy with 'em here, but i've never heard of anyone here eating them before. we use them for bait when we go fishing. maybe this summer i'll catch a few extra and try them out...

crawfish and crayfish are one in the same. You'll need at least 10lbs for a halfway decent boil, a full sack (40lbs) for a really good boil.

cajunheat said:
crawfish and crayfish are one in the same. You'll need at least 10lbs for a halfway decent boil, a full sack (40lbs) for a really good boil.

they are the same but they dont taste the same... not unless you are close to the bayou...there is something about the water there...

I looooove crawfish!! I used to live in Lafayette, LA. We used to eat crawfish all a restaurant called Crawfish Town USA and in the Gator Cove. Best crawfish ever! In Abbeyville I believe this was...

AJ is right... the best part is the head. How I wish I had some 20 pounds right now! I can get frozen chinese crawfish over here but it's just not the same...

well by the sounds of it you can count me out for trying crawfish anymore in my area. they dont sell them live, its either dead fresh/frozen on ice or tail meat frozen in packages.

andres said:
I looooove crawfish!! I used to live in Lafayette, LA. We used to eat crawfish all a restaurant called Crawfish Town USA and in the Gator Cove. Best crawfish ever! In Abbeyville I believe this was...

AJ is right... the best part is the head. How I wish I had some 20 pounds right now! I can get frozen chinese crawfish over here but it's just not the same...

Andres...Crawfish Town is one of my favorites...I assume you are talking about the place next to the Atchafalaya basin..just off I-10

BamsBBQ said:
they are the same but they dont taste the same... not unless you are close to the bayou...there is something about the water there...

do you mean all those toxins ? :lol::P
since the mississippi river starts in this state (MN) & flows through every other state & collects pollution on its way through every state & big city & down to louisiana/gulf of mexico.

theres a saying around here, its not worth eating fish out of the mississippi river past the coon rapids dam. beyond that theres so much crap that gets dumped into the river.
FYI coon rapids damn is before the river even hits the twin cities. though it has ran through st.cloud (another big city but nothing like the twin cities)

toxic or not, I'm still eating them... :lol:

a lot of the crawfish come from farm ponds now...there is still a good market for wild but the farm raised are delicious....

:went googlin:

check this "copy and paste" out...I just googled Louisiana Crawfish Industry and this was the first hit...

"In the 1960's, crawfish farming made its debut with the cultivation of crawfish in man-made ponds, using controlled water levels, forage management and water recalculation techniques to produce a highly marketable product.

During the next 35 years, crawfish farming developed into the largest freshwater crustacean aquacultutre industry in the United States. Louisiana leads the nation, producing more than 90% of the domestic crop. More than 1,600 farmers produce crawfish in some 111,000 acres of ponds. More than 800 commercial fisherman harvest crawfish from natural wetlands, primarily the Atchafalaya Basin. The combined annual yield ranges from 75 million to 105 million pounds. The total economic impact on the Louisiana economy exceeds $120 million annually, and more than 7,000 people depend directly or indirectly on the crawfish industry."

link to site...

http://www.crawfish.org/pages/history.html

heck...I didn't realize they produced so many crawfish...

GrumpyBear said:

I'm from the north country too. My friend that eats them also catches them in traps up here and they aren't the EXACT same species, but crayfish, are crawfish:lol:.(Hers are fresh too...I hear liver in a trap works great.) I'm thinking about catching some and trying it someday myself. She does a big boil once a year (She's also oddly on here, but only posted maybe twice...she's a friend, but a chilihead too...BIGTIME!) Anywho, I've yet to catch and eat them up here, but I'm looking forward to it. I've had crayfish, but not boiled. Can't wait!.................I have an itch for snapping turtle too..:lol:

AlabamaJack said:
toxic or not, I'm still eating them... :lol:

a lot of the crawfish come from farm ponds now...there is still a good market for wild but the farm raised are delicious....

:went googlin:

check this "copy and paste" out...I just googled Louisiana Crawfish Industry and this was the first hit...

"In the 1960's, crawfish farming made its debut with the cultivation of crawfish in man-made ponds, using controlled water levels, forage management and water recalculation techniques to produce a highly marketable product.

During the next 35 years, crawfish farming developed into the largest freshwater crustacean aquacultutre industry in the United States. Louisiana leads the nation, producing more than 90% of the domestic crop. More than 1,600 farmers produce crawfish in some 111,000 acres of ponds. More than 800 commercial fisherman harvest crawfish from natural wetlands, primarily the Atchafalaya Basin. The combined annual yield ranges from 75 million to 105 million pounds. The total economic impact on the Louisiana economy exceeds $120 million annually, and more than 7,000 people depend directly or indirectly on the crawfish industry."

link to site...

http://www.crawfish.org/pages/history.html

heck...I didn't realize they produced so many crawfish...

I didnt know where they got the crawfish from, I now see its farm raised.

nonetheless, I wouldnt eat any fish from the mississippi river beyond the coon rapids dam.
but I guess when you come to think of it thats still questionable cuz of the monticello nuclear plant is up river from the coon rapids dam, I guess its better to say I wouldnt eat any fish south of monticello.
before it ever leaves MN 2 nuclear power plants have already used the water plus the toxins from other sources. (a 3rd was shutdown years ago.)

Back