• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Ballzworth 2010 Grow Log

Things are off to an early start.

Here's the grow list:

Bhut Jolokia
Chocolate Bhut
7 Pot
Trinidad Scorpion
Naga Morich
Red Savina
Yellow Devil's Tongue
Fatalli
Orange Habanero
Paper Lanter Habanero
White Habanero
Caribbean Red
Jamaican Hot
Scotch Bonnet (2 varieties)
Tasmanian Habanero
Pumpkin Habanero
Aji Limon
Mustard Habanero
Bishops Crown
Ancho Poblano
Tabasco
Bonda Ma Jacques
Cili Goronong

Here's what I got growing on so far, primarily the super hots...excellent germination rate, all of them between 6 and 9 days.

DSCF2493.jpg

DSCF2485.jpg

I have a bunch of 42 watt CFL's as well once they get a bit bigger.

Should be a good year.

Best of luck to everyone else! ;)

Looking good Ballz. How much light are you giving them? I cut back to about 14 hrs a day and I think growth is starting to slow down a bit. I'm beginning to have room issues too and with a mid May plant out that isn't a good thing. Need to head on down to Home Depot and pick up some more pvc pipe.

i've got them on a 12 hour system now (sunlight when possible then flourescents for the evenings). I definitely got ahead of myself, not thinking about root bound issues, but I was hoping that it wouldn't matter too much. guess I better get creative and start making space.

Patrick what size will you be potting up to before they get outside in mid-may?

:pray:looking good Ballzy.
They will need to be potted up in a month and then your will have to strech it until hopefully the middle of may for their final resting place. let us pray:pray:

You know I was hoping to let them stay in the plastic cups until I pot them up but I don't think they're going to make it. I've got a couple with roots already hanging out of drainage holes. I guess I'll look around and see if I can find some one gallon containers to use. I've got a bunch of three gallon containers that I might try using.

patrick said:
You know I was hoping to let them stay in the plastic cups until I pot them up but I don't think they're going to make it. I've got a couple with roots already hanging out of drainage holes. I guess I'll look around and see if I can find some one gallon containers to use. I've got a bunch of three gallon containers that I might try using.

The GH Megastore has the gallon trade pots cheap. 60 for $14

Progress update:

I've been potting up quite a bit to 2 gallon containers. Since I have about 2 months to go I think plants will be loving the extra space instead of the 1 gallon pots I originally planned on. I've already cut odd dozens of buds, so these will be massive come plant out.

10 2 gallon containers potted up so far....many more to come. The red cups in this picture are my "keepers". 2 of each variety (25 varieties)
DSCF2610.jpg

This is my "extras" set up. Not sure what I'm doing with all of these Unfortunately I think a lot of them will be laid to rest.
DSCF2612.jpg

This is a chocolate bhut that I got off of Madhatter when it was about 7 inches tall. I think he started it in November. Massive bud action happening.
DSCF2613.jpg

Everything is coming along perfectly. Window space will be my only obstacle.

-Jim

Ballz. it be a shame to get rid of all those plants man. I may be able to move some for you.
By the way the choco bhut is looking good. It will soon have disgutingly hot chocolate beauties on it. Get you brush ready!!!

I can't believe you went with the two gallon pots Ballz! I just went with the lousy one gallon ones. Now I'm depressed and jealous. I thought we were going to be like twins? :P

They are looking real good. I'm about where you're at too, about a dozen of them potted up. Six weeks to outside.

lol. so we're even for me being jealous of the lighting rack you built!! I'm making something like that a priority for next year.

My plan was to go with 1 gallon pots....in fact I already bought 25 of them and was looking for more when Madhatter tracked down the 2 gallon pots for cheaper than the 1s, so I had to just go for it. I'll probably do half in the 2 gallons (the ones that will be in there for 6-8 weeks) and half if 1 gallons (for the last month). The suckers are growing so fast now I think I'll be thankful for the larger pots. But still, the 1 gallons will do you just fine so nothing to worry about.

I think we're going to be pretty busy over the next little while with all this potting up business. We're way ahead of the season which will feel pretty good come plant out time.

If I had known I would have built one for you too!

I have to agree with you, I think we're headed for a banner year. Do you plan on keeping track of what went in a two versus one gallon pot? See if it makes any difference in the long run. I do have some three gallon pots...........:P

yeah I have a spreadsheet set up that I've been recording in detail all the progress (seed planting date, germination date, all pot up dates and to what size etc). I'm also going to grow a few kinds all season in 1 gallon, 2 gallon, 3 gallon and 5 gallon containers (Bhut and Scorpion probably) to compare the plant sizes, and pod amounts/sizes. It's my scientific experiment for the year to understand how each plant works with different circumstances so next year I'll know exactly what to expect. Some of them I'm cutting off the buds early on and some I'm leaving on as well to see how that affects plant size and overall pod production. Should be interesting.

Your 3 gallon pots should come in handy. Do you have a lot of buds forming already? Are you letting them grow or cutting them off?

Ballzworth said:
yeah I have a spreadsheet set up that I've been recording in detail all the progress (seed planting date, germination date, all pot up dates and to what size etc). I'm also going to grow a few kinds all season in 1 gallon, 2 gallon, 3 gallon and 5 gallon containers (Bhut and Scorpion probably) to compare the plant sizes, and pod amounts/sizes. It's my scientific experiment for the year to understand how each plant works with different circumstances so next year I'll know exactly what to expect. Some of them I'm cutting off the buds early on and some I'm leaving on as well to see how that affects plant size and overall pod production. Should be interesting.

Your 3 gallon pots should come in handy. Do you have a lot of buds forming already? Are you letting them grow or cutting them off?

That's a terrific experiment you have planned. I'll be eagerly awaiting the results.

Update, now that it's outdoors season.

One of the two future homes of the peppers
DSCF2674.jpg

Hardening off holding place for a few. In front...Savina, and Morich.
DSCF2667.jpg

Scotch Bonnet Pod with a gazillion flowers (this one was started end of Jan)
DSCF2670.jpg

Choco Bhut...or possibly 7Pot courtesy of Madhatter. This plant is huge in a 9 gallon! Always nice to have full size pods before official plant out time!
DSCF2672.jpg

About freaking time you checked in with an update and photos Ballz! Pods already? Dude! I'm thinking it's going to be a monster year for ya bro, MONSTER!

Man I hate to say this but the lonely pod on your Scotch Bonnet plant doesn't really look like a Scotch Bonnet.

patrick said:
About freaking time you checked in with an update and photos Ballz! Pods already? Dude! I'm thinking it's going to be a monster year for ya bro, MONSTER!

Man I hate to say this but the lonely pod on your Scotch Bonnet plant doesn't really look like a Scotch Bonnet.

Hey Patrick. Yeah long time away but now that interesting part of the season is kicking off and pods galore are already appearing I thought I'd catch up. I think we'll both be having monster years. We're pretty far ahead of the game which is paying off!

So you don't think it's a scotch bonnet? I bought it from Pepper Joe's. I've been in for a few surprises this season already.

Since Bonnets grow in all sorts of shapes I was thinking it would might resemble a more basic longish hab shaped bonnet. I'll start to know more once a few more pods show their true shapes.

If not scotch bonnet, any ideas what it could be?

Got my fingers and toes crossed for all of us bro. Mine went without a lot of light for a couple of days and did a bit of yellowing on the top, hopefully the plants are going to get through it with a bit of sun.

That pepper may be a Scotch Bonnet it's just that it appears to be longer than any others I've seen. Looks kind of like a fat Naga Morich. Your Chocolate B.J.'s look fantastic by the way.

Back