• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Ballzworth 2010 Grow Log

Things are off to an early start.

Here's the grow list:

Bhut Jolokia
Chocolate Bhut
7 Pot
Trinidad Scorpion
Naga Morich
Red Savina
Yellow Devil's Tongue
Fatalli
Orange Habanero
Paper Lanter Habanero
White Habanero
Caribbean Red
Jamaican Hot
Scotch Bonnet (2 varieties)
Tasmanian Habanero
Pumpkin Habanero
Aji Limon
Mustard Habanero
Bishops Crown
Ancho Poblano
Tabasco
Bonda Ma Jacques
Cili Goronong

Here's what I got growing on so far, primarily the super hots...excellent germination rate, all of them between 6 and 9 days.

DSCF2493.jpg

DSCF2485.jpg

I have a bunch of 42 watt CFL's as well once they get a bit bigger.

Should be a good year.

Best of luck to everyone else! ;)

Thanks Patrick. The Bonnet does seem a bit long and pointy for the usual ones I see as well. Time will tell!

A few others:

'Pumpkin Hab'
DSCF2679.jpg

Savina
DSCF2677.jpg

And finally, what happens to a plant when you don't harden off. I've got about 4 plants like this. Fortunately I only put 2 in the ground as a test.
DSCF2675.jpg

millworkman said:
They will bounce back no problem though.

yeah the plant itself is pretty strong and the new growth looks okay. It just wasn't quite ready to handle what I put it through. The season is young, I have time. Thanks.

POTAWIE said:
Wow, the ground here is still quite cold. Personally I won't be planting any peppers for about another month:(

I wanted to get a few test plants in the ground to start things off and see what happens. since we had such an early start to spring and no snow on the ground for far longer than usual, it seems that spring and ground temps got a kick start this season. That's not saying we won't possibly be in for a nasty surprise, but things are looking a lot more promising than usual. For now my main focus is container pot-ups and hardening off. Plus space is kind of an issue for me as well....will start later next year.

Ballz, The plants look great bro but you allready know that cause i see them all the time. I agree with millworkman your plants will recover from the sunscorch

Potowie. Where abouts are you near ottawa? Are you north? How cold are your ground temperatures? I hear ya on not to plant if the ground is too cold but having the luxury of a greenhouse your able to wait longer. Here in our house to house sub-division its not possible to wait and probably a bit warmer here. Last year was our coldest summer on record and our yeilds were very late. I just hope we dont have the same thing happen this year.

I've got a bit of the sunburn on a few plants myself Ballz. Had some last year and every plant recovered nicely so no need to worry about it.

I am jealous of all of your pods dude. Keep up the great grow!

madhatter said:
Ballz, The plants look great bro but you allready know that cause i see them all the time. I agree with millworkman your plants will recover from the sunscorch

Potowie. Where abouts are you near ottawa? Are you north? How cold are your ground temperatures? I hear ya on not to plant if the ground is too cold but having the luxury of a greenhouse your able to wait longer. Here in our house to house sub-division its not possible to wait and probably a bit warmer here. Last year was our coldest summer on record and our yeilds were very late. I just hope we dont have the same thing happen this year.

I'm southwest of Ottawa and I always wait until at least the middle of june to plant peppers although I have already planted out some early tomatoes in raised beds which warm up much quicker than the ground. As for the greenhouse, for the most part I'm done using it for peppers until fall (just too hot) unless we get a frost warning or other severe weather

Potawie are the pepperplants in pots waiting to get into the ground till mid june? I have some plants in the ground but they are against the house facing south so its stays warmer with the bricks. The others are in pots. One thing for sure is this year is much warmer than last year at this time. el nino vs la nina i guess
Are you a senators fan being neer ottawa?

I guess gambling and planting early would have paid off this year in Ontario, but not in Alberta:( I know my tomatoes are doing great. Most of my peppers are staying in containers this year since my tomatoes are majorly taking over the gardens.
Yes I'm a sens fan but a long time Chicago fan too

a few pod pic updates:

Mustard hab - love the pods on this one.
mustardhabjune62010.jpg

tasmanian hab
tasmanianhabjune62010.jpg

what was supposed to be a red bhut. not sure what it is but might end up being a cool bhut cross. tonnes and tonnes of pods.
nebraskansurprisejune62010.jpg

Poblano
poblanojune62010.jpg

a pepper joes scotch bonnet. not sure about this one. every pod looks different. cool looking pods though.
scotchbonnetPJsJune62010.jpg

scorpion pods. lots of pods forming like this. looks like some stingers on the way!
scorpionjune62010.jpg

Caribbean Red. ripening any day now.
caribbeanredjune62010.jpg

choco bhut. first ripening pods of the season!
chocobhutjune62010.jpg

Bishops Crown. love these pods.
bishopscrownjune62010.jpg

Pumpkin Hab. was expecting it to be just an orange hab but they're growing much rounder.
pumpkinhabjune62010.jpg

Aji Limon. Pods grow super fast on this one.
ajilimonjune62010.jpg

June 6th and massive amounts of pods! That's what I like to see. It's gong to be great season!

POTAWIE said:
Yes I'm a sens fan but a long time Chicago fan too

awesome! I've been a Hawks fan since I was 10 and after the years of them being at the bottom of the barrel it's nice to see them on top finally. Big game tonight!

POTAWIE said:
Wow! those are some nice looking, early pods. Summer weather in spring sure is nice for a change eh?

Thanks my friend. it's definitely turning out to be an awesome spring and is certainly making up for last year. Lots of great stuff ahead!

Dang Ballz I'm so freaking jealous of you it hurts! Way to grow man, way to grow. I did see my first flowers yesterday so things are progressing. You are kicking some serious butt though man. I couldn't be happier for you.:)

thanks guys. I put a lot of your experience and advice to work for me this year and with some help from the weather things are really taking off.

Silver_Surfer said:
Damn, such early pods so far north is really impressive. Great pics and fantastic grow. :)

up here you have to get an early start. perhaps I started a bit too early considering I had 2 gallon pots getting rootbound by May. But nice to see those pods already.

Skydiver said:
Unreal.
Ripening pods already?!?
I bow to your awesome skills.

ahh gosh. you're too kind. the yellow devils tongue you sent me is probably my favorite plant. It's a bit later than the others so no flowers quite yet but it is one perfect looking plant. can't wait to see it's progress.

patrick said:
Dang Ballz I'm so freaking jealous of you it hurts! Way to grow man, way to grow. I did see my first flowers yesterday so things are progressing. You are kicking some serious butt though man. I couldn't be happier for you.:)

thanks patrick. my start to the season all began with your seeds which made me anxious to get things going. i owe you one buddy. great to hear you got flowers. with all that stem growth you got going on t's officially on!

Back