• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Beehunters Grow log - Now with Awkward video update.

Hey all. As you can see im new here and new to gardening in general. Ive been lurking around the site for a while now preparing for this grow. Ive got some African birds eye that just sprouted and soaking some other seeds now to go in the incubator tonight. Ill post pics of the sprouts later. Figured this is a good way to get to know people and great place to get advice.
Happy growing!

The Beehunter

P1100199-1.jpg

Hey thanks Paul. Yea that Hab is a funny one! Yesterday i actually lowered the average temp in the grow area a bit to hopefully slow them down some for the next few weeks. From what ive read that is hopefully a healthy way of doing it. We will see.

My "work with whatcha got" grow area.-LOL my theme entirely!-Though I would change it to ....with ALL I got!
Roger the hobby comment too, my mtn bike stuff (that is one hobby I can't give up) had to go in the house after I knocked over all my baby Brain Strains, not once ,but twice.Good luck -with your grow, AND all the next ones that WILL follow!LOL

Ok time for the weekly update. A Few changes this week. Potted up a few different plants this week and added one more CFL to the mix. I am only potting up as it is necessary because i am running out of room and dont want to do any major expanding of my lighting when im hoping to have the plants spending there days on the balcony in the next 30 days or so. One Bhut that was potted up has spent 100% of its time in a window for the past five days. I want to see what the difference is right now between them living in all natural light and being under the lights. All the other plants have started to spend 3 hours a day in natural sunlight to start harding them off. And for me i can tell a huge difference with them in direct sunlight! They are not prepared for it! They start to wilt in about 40 mins! Other than that things seem to be coming along very well. A few of the party cups that dont drain as well as the others have plants with a bit of yellowing. So i need to take care of that soon. OK on to the pics.
First up the none Chinense. They are all sporting buds and the birds eye is sporting about 50 of them. That this is exploding.
P3140374.jpg

Next is the orange hab. This thing is getting big and strong. But it still gets wilted by the sun as you can see. Its putting out quit a few buds as well!
P3140373.jpg

Next is the Bhuts. The one in the larger pot is the one that has been in the window full time. I havent quit figured out its watering schedule yet so its top leaves have turned a bit yellow. I will back off its watering a bit since its window only gets about 6 hours of direct light a day.
P3140370.jpg

Last are the trinidads. The Plant that has been potted up in a yellow 7pot. It was first to have its roots growing circles inside its cup so it got to step up. it has been in that pot since friday.
P3140368.jpg

And just cause here is one of the birds eye in its window. with its pods and buds.
P3130365.jpg

I concur, 'hunter - your plants look great, and that bird's eye
is just outrageous; amazing what you grow in front of windows!
That orange hab looks really robust!

Hey thanks guys! Yea these guys are really responding well to the afternoon sunshine! They are under the lights for about 8 hours before they get moved to the window for the sunlight time. Under the lights they look great and relaxed then after about 40 mins in the sunshine they look worn out! Like they just cant wait for a nap. LOL. I found a mini hot house style greenhouse that will fit on my balcony so hopefully they can start spending there full days outside starting in about three weeks.

Ok a few days late with the weekly update. We have had some amazing weather the second half of this week so that has keep me busy. But after a nice trip into the mountains and some good climbing im back at it! Ok so the news for the week. Plants are looking pretty good! All the plants have started a rotation onto the balcony for a few hours a day of natural sunlight. Temps are still not too warm but its in the 60's in the afternoon when the plants are out. Because of this i decided it was time for everyone to leave there plastic cups and get into some real pots! The sun is doing the plants great! They are looking really green these days! But directly after there sun tanning they look like they just got there asses kicked in a desert marathon or something! Other news, My hungarian hot wax has its first pod on it! so cool to see that! Got my first flowers on my hab plant. We will see if they take or not. The ancho looks like its got some flowers that will open soon. The birdseye has probably 15 new pods starting to form on it. So im hoping in the next 4 weeks or so to start seeing the starts of alot of pods on my plants! Bring on the Spring! As expected the super hots are not flowering yet but are putting on new growth and taking there time. But they are actually very pretty plants right now and im really enjoying watching them grow! Ok on to the pics!

Ah first i dont know if i mentions but Bootsieb sent me some Sri Lanken Bhut seeds and i started them a few weeks ago. Big thanks to Bootsieb! They are starting to put on some true leaves. Ive got three plants going so here is one of the new guys.
108_0486.jpg

Here are a few of the Superhots after a few hours of rest after there Sun baths.
TS Red, TS Butch T, Bhut, and 7Pot Yellow
108_0484.jpg

First HHW Pod just starting to form
108_0412.jpg

Here is one of the flowers on my hab plant :)
108_0410.jpg

A couple of the birdseye pods
108_0409.jpg

Butch T after having its ass kicked by the sun for a few hours
108_0406.jpg

Sun bathers
108_0404.jpg

And this is how most of the plants roots looked during transplant. Not bad! I was worried i had left them in there little cups for too long but the roots still look good and not too twisted
108_0403.jpg

Ok guys thanks for stopping buy. And as always is you have any helpful hints or see anything in the pics that i am doing wrong or whatever let me know!

The Beehunter

Hey, Britt, your plants are coming right along; flowers and pods - sounds like real peppers!
Those root balls look great - the transplants should really go for you! Have a great weekend!

I"m digging the size of the leaves your getting.

Mine are not quite that big I don't think. Do you do anything special to force them large? Could it be that cooler climates require larger leaves for the same amount of energy collection? Living in florida, mine are noticeably smaller, though not tiny. Perhaps the converse is true, perhaps living so close to the equator (more direct sun) the leaves are somewhat smaller because they are only growing to the size necessary... I'll have to think about, and google search this later :)

Jsschrrcks-Nail on the head- heat /direct sun smaller leaves.At least that is true of mine-the sunnier the location the smaller the leaves, and the higher their numbers...lots of resons why, and nature nails em all-ain't it cool.

Haha-Your culls huh?They look pretty happy man-I always say culls, but I can't ever kill'em....I just find a spot, and say sink or swim...natural selection time.The other plants look great-funny how they are so sun sensitve when they first go out, I found some old discarded window screen panels, and sandwiched them together and cover the plants for the first week out in the sun, so they don't get nailed so hard, cuz they do like sun when when they can take it exposure wise.Nice pic of the Mulato Isleno flower-gonna be watchin this one, as its totally new to me.
Have a good one-
Dave

Yes, nice flower pic, for sure! I'm sure your plants are all healthy and growin'!
Get up to the mountains this weekend? Have a good week, Britt!

Back