• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Chili and Cornbread Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh it is smelling good in here! Going to be a long 36 hours of heaven....

10983434_947767988590261_168483582809068997_n.jpg

Dude broke out the wok?

Need more info. Confusicated!

I like all this action on Day 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man I wish we had some grocery money. I so would of made some cornbread stuffed with bacon, peppers n cheese wrapped in corn husk with some beanless chili. Wish I had some PJs venison. Or maybe cornbread bowls wrapped in bacon filled with chili. Ugh. making me hungry. 

D3monic said:
Man I wish we had some grocery money. I so would of made some cornbread stuffed with bacon, peppers n cheese wrapped in corn husk with some beanless chili. Wish I had some PJs venison. Or maybe cornbread bowls wrapped in bacon filled with chili. Ugh. making me hungry. 

jajajaja...

They wish for ice cream in hell too!

SmokenFire's Northwoods Bison Chili & Cheddar Chipotle Cornbread

The Players:

n5lz45.jpg

Prep and PoL:

2en6q6s.jpg

[SIZE=12.8000001907349px]Chili Ingredients:[/SIZE]

2 stalks celery, diced
1 large white onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled and diced
3 lbs chili meat: using ground bison today
1 jar canned roma tomatoes - from our garden 
1 quart or so homemade beef stock
2- 3 oz home made tomato paste
1 cup dry black beans
1 tbsp olive oil

and:  

[SIZE=12.8000001907349px]chili powder 1 -  2 tbsp chili powder, 1 tbsp ground cumin, 2 tsp jalapeno powder, 2 tsp ground cayenne, 2 tsp chipotle powder, 1/2 tsp all spice[/SIZE]

chili powder 2 - 2 tbsp chili powder, 2 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp white pepper

Directions:

1 . Get your black beans into a quick soak; to a medium pot add:  1 qt water, 1 cup black beans, 1 tbsp salt.  Bring to a nice rolling boil.  Cover, turn the heat off and let rest for one hour.

2. Dice your celery and onion and get them started in the olive oil in a large pot set over medium high heat.  Cook for about 8-10 minutes until the onions start to go translucent.

3. Add the minced garlic and half of the chili powder 'one', cook for two minutes while stirring constantly. 

4. Add the meat and the rest of chili powder 'one' to the pot.  Stir well and break up any large chunks.  Continue cooking until meat is browned - about 10 more minutes.  Note:  We're using very lean bison here so there's no need to drain the fat.  If you're using ground beef you might want to brown the beef first, drain the fat and THEN proceed with step one.

5. When the meat is done add the canned tomatoes, the beef stock and the tomato paste.  Use your judgment on stock/paste amounts.  Stir well to combine.  Bring the chili up to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-medium low and put the lid on it.

6. Drain and rinse the black beans and add them to the pot.  Add half the chili powder two, stir well to combine.  Keep the heat the same and simmer until the beans are tender - about 60 - 90 minutes.  Get a beer (or go make the corn bread). 

7. About 20-30 minutes before serving taste the chili to make sure the beans are done.  Add the other half of chili powder two at this time.  It makes the flavors pop :)

Serve this chili with whatever garnishes you like.  I like it with a bit of grated sharp cheddar, chopped green onion and a dollop of sour cream.  

6ifec7.jpg

[SIZE=12.8000001907349px]Chipotle Cheddar Cornbread:[/SIZE]

Ingredients:

2 cups cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1 can chipotle chiles in adobo
4 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
6 tbsp butter, melted - plus 1 tbsp to grease the pan

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a cast iron skillet or other pan.  In a large bowl mix the corn meal, sugar and baking powder.  Set aside.

2. In another bowl whisk the buttermilk with the egg until well incorporated.

3. Spoon the chipotles and all the adobo you can get out of the can into a small bowl and chop em up fine (I use scissors!).

4. Stir the buttermilk and egg mixture into the cornmeal mixture.  Then add the melted butter and shredded cheese and stir well.

5. Pour mixture into the pan.  Add the chipotles and adobo at this point, then drag a spoon through the batter and make super cool swirly visuals.  Friends think that shit is gourmet.

6. Bake for ~ 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool for about a half hour, then cut into wedges.  Serve with honey or butter as requested, or crumble into chili and maow.

15e92j4.jpg

Combo 'see the stuff' pic 

30206kj.jpg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Wow that was quick! Nice work I might add

lol I had my stuff ready this morning around 10am!  Have to work the next two days JHP, but I'd much rather chill w you at your place and drink beer whilst we cook chili for the next 36 hours...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back