• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Chili and Cornbread Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423326745.304916.jpg

I could go for some of that right now!

Mmmmm. Still thinking. Mostly about the cornbread. Saw a decent looking Portugese cornbread recipe. I may try that. Definitely have to make my own chili powder.

grantmichaels said:
Last night I saw a person run a couple of pieces of bread behind the meat to pre-clean it before the sink, and it looked effective enough to make me consider using one much more often ...

Anyone else do this?
I put the end piece in my grinder after grinding all the time. Does a pretty good job of it.

Amatriciana chili ciambella

For cornbread
I took the idea to use whole flour instead of oil... I've tried this on pizza and it works, and really well. Basically this is a modified pizza dough recipe (and a really good one):
  • 300g cold water
  • 250g manitoba flour
  • 150g corn flour
  • 50g whole wheat flour
  • 8g salt (maybe too much, i'd retry with 5)
  • 1g sugar
  • 3g fresh beer yeast
  1. In a bowl put 200g of water and the corn flour, mix with a fork or a spoon a bit then leave it for 5 minutes
  2. In another bowl add 100g of water whole wheat, sugar and yeast. Use a minipimer to mix til bubbles are shown. Add this to the bowl with corn flour, minipime again, leave it rest for 5 minutes
  3. Then add manitoba flour mixing with a fork or spoon. Near the end add salt. No need to knead or mix too much
  4. Wait 1 hour
  5. Fold it 4 times each 15 mins.
  6. Let it rise 20 hours at slightly below house temp, sealed (yeast, temperature and time are depending each other. I could probably lower temp)
  7. Shape in the correct way, put on the plate and wait 2 hours (maybe more if ripen on cold)
  8. Preheat oven at 200°C with a pan of water. I think that it's a good idea to avoid to put that pan under the bread. Of course i did that and i noticed after half of an hour
  9. Cook for 50 mins at 200°C
Since i used aluminuim bottom was a bit soft so i cooked a bit more reversed (that should not be necessary with iron).

iGZdmGiRnxdzu.jpg

Can't say that this is perfect, but it's a start...

For chili
As title, amatriciana based. Not much spices, the idea is to taste guanciale. I consider even onion to be hazardous here but they're good (also if taste changer). Beans just because... I like chili with beans.
  • 400g guanciale
  • 300g pezzettoni diced tomatoes
  • 250g beans (400 with water)
  • evo
  • 1 big fresh annum
  • dried piri piri to taste
  • white wine (high degree Sauvigon here)
  • Cheddar cheese as topping
  • guanciale has a strong black pepper aroma so no need to use more

1. Pan fry guanciale slowly with a bit of evo till starts to be golden.
  2. Add finely cut onion and fresh pepper, after a while add dried piri piri.
  3. After some minutes add half glass of white wine and cook fast till wine evaporates.
  4. Add pezzettoni tomato and cook for 10 minutes.
  5. Add beans.
  6. Cook till right consistency
I didn't need to add any salt and it was better to use just 300g or even 200 of guanciale instead 400, that stuff is extremely strong in taste.

Assemble with bread:
igEa9SlMbDBDw.jpg

Garnish with cheddar cheese:
imh1kMJnk9CAs.jpg

Cook a bit again in oven to melt:
iblldCM0KxxB5q.jpg

irlVZ5keKkJtS.jpg

Southwestern-Style Chile and Corn Bread

[SIZE=medium]I glanced at some of the pre-TD dialogue, and eventually found my way to the ICS website. I noticed some common themes between years in winners, so I decided to use that as a starting point. I did a little combining and improvising with a Southwestern style chili dish. The corn bread was also along these lines. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Ingredient List[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]pepper steak[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]chili powder[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Badia Sazon Tropical[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]San Marzano tomatoes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]tomato sauce[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Chicken Broth[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Medium salsa[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]garlic powder[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]jalapeno pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]cumin [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]onion[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]fresh cooked corn[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Chipotle chili [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]garlic cloves[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]cilantro [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Red bell pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Manzano pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Fresno pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Cherry pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Habanero pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Butter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Heavy cream[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Cream of tarter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]egg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]milk[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]flour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]corn meal[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]cheddar cheese[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make corn bread filling:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]0.           Boils some corn, and tear up some cilantro. Set aside.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1.           Prepare some fresh ingredients. In this case, I used some each of Manzano pepper, Habanero pepper, Jalapeno pepper, Fresno pepper, cherry pepper, red bell pepper, garlic, and onion. Make the pieces as small as you can. Toss them all in the blender and make them smaller. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           Add one chipotle chili to the blender, and blend again.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.           Heat four tablespoons butter in a skillet. Add mixture from blender and cook for ten minutes, stirring as needed. Remove from heat.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.           Add about half a cob's or so worth of cooked corn kernels to the pan with the pepper mix. Add a few pinches of fresh cilantro. Mix well and set aside. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make corn bread batter:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]0.           Grate about a cups worth of cheddar cheese. Save what is left over for the chili. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1.           In a bowl combine 1/2 cup AP flour, 1/2 cup corn meal, 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, and 7/8 teaspoon salt. Mix well.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           In a small bowl, separate an egg white from its yolk and set both aside in different bowls. To the bowl with the egg yolk add 1/3 milk and 1/3 cup heavy cream and whisk together. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.           To the bowl with the egg white, add 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar and whisk until foam appears and mixture appears to thicken as much as you can manage. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.           Stir the egg/milk mixture into the bowl with corn meal/flour. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5.           Add a tablespoon or so (depending on your judgment) of the Corn/pepper/veggie mixture from earlier to the bowl with the corn meal/flour.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]6.           Add about 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese to the corn meal/flour bowl. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]7.           Mix in the egg white/cream of tartar into the corn meal/flour bowl. At this point, you should have a slightly thick lumpy batter.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]8.           Grease a cooking dish of appropriate size, and pour batter in. Spread it around a bit, and then top with some of the leftover cheddar cheese.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]9.           Bake for 35 minutes, and set aside to cool. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make chili:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.           Cube up some steak and add to a skillet.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           Chop up one medium onion and one jalapeno and add to skillet.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.           Cook on medium heat until meat is browned.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.           Transfer the contents of the skillet to a large saucepan.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5.           To this saucepan add: 1 box of tomato sauce, 1 can San Marzano Tomatoes (chopped up,) 1 can chicken broth, 1 teaspoon or so chili powder, and 1 teaspoon or so onion powder.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]6.           Add also to this saucepan: 1/2 cup medium salsa and 2 half ears of cooked corn kernels. Mix well.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]7.           Bring this mixture to a boil on medium, and then reduce heat to medium low. Let cook for one hour from start of simmering. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]8.           Add to saucepan:  1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon Badia Sazon Tropical.  Add also 3/4 cup water to replenish liquid lost during previous hour of cooking.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]9.           Let mixture cook for an addition 20-30 minutes on low, and then remove from heat.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]10.         Mix in about a tablespoon of Agar Agar.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]11.         Top with grated cheese and serve.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt][/SIZE]

Since there are two elements it only makes sense to allow 6 pics.
BONUS PIC!
If you see this post you can add one extra pic, pick a winner and write BONUS PIC above it.
So much greatness going on I thought I needed to do that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back