• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Chili and Cornbread Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chili Primitivo (aka Flaming Reaper)

Start with some hot peppers......

2 - dried Reapers splashed with some 151 Bacardi catching some flames before being sacrificed to the chili gods.  (Bonus Pic)

Then dump them in a sauce pan with a short cup of black raspberry meade, a tablespoon of honey, set to simmer without boiling and  reduce to about half.

Chili Ingredients:
3/4 cup dried Red Kidney Beans
8oz chopped sirloin
Anchos chillis
Fire-roasted and dried Heritage 6-4 chilis
Carolina Reapers
Honey
Red Marconi and Jimmy Nardello peppers smoked 
Smoked dried tomatoes
Black Raspberry Meade vinegar
Shallots
Sprouted Oats
Garlic
Tomato sauce 
Butter
151 rum

Spices:
2 t oregano
1 t thyme
1 t whole cumin
1 t whole black cumin
1/2 t whole black pepper
1/4 t ground allspice
a thumb of ginger for beans
3/4 t salt
1 T powdered eggplant skins

3/4 -1 cup of dried beans were soaked overnight and are now boiling on med-high. for a total of 1 1/2 hours  until almost tender

Remove and render fat( add it to beans) from 8-12oz sirloin steak,. Chop steak into small bite-size pieces. Marinate in about a cup BR meade, a tablespon of oil, and a big pinch of allspice at least an hour. 

Chop 2-3 med shallots (at least 4 oz total) into 1/8" rings. Saute in 3 tablespoons of butter on low heat. Butter barely sizzles into almost totally soft. Set aside  in small dish.

Course chop 6-7 large cloves of garlic.

Drain marinade and sear sirloin on med high briefly  in the butter drained from the onions. Set aside. 

Cool skillet to a low heat and saute garlic in a little oil or butter until just a few pieces start to brown.

Into a warmed, deep cast iron skillet, add the garilc and drain the butter from the shallots, and add about 2 quarts of tomato sauce. (mine was made from non-sauce tomatoes so it was slightly on the juicy side),  a nice handful( at least a cup) of dried tomatoes ( mine had been smoked before drying).
 Add about 4-5 small Anchos, 5-6 dried Hatch chilis (mine were Heritage 6-4 that I had fire roasted and de-hydrated whole).
Be gentle with the whole peppers, after about 20-40 minutes, when the sauce has loosened the skins remove the peppers, skin, de-seed, chop, and return to the sauce.(This could better have been done in boiling water earlier and  added the water to the sauce to retain pigments and flavor.
Add sweet peppers. I used a pound of smoked sweet peppers I had thawed overnight, skinned, de-seeded and chopped.
Add the meat. and half the shallots and the beans. Course grind 1 teaspoon each of cumin and black cumin and 1/2  of peppercorns, , and stir in with 1/2-1 t of salt, plus the reduced reaper sauce. Simmer very slowly for another  hour, at least. It didn't seem hot enough so I chopped up the 2 reapers and added them along the way.  I powdered some dried eggplant skins to and a little flavor and thicken as desired. I used a tablespoon. I also used a cup of sprouted oats had lying about with most of the green clipped off. They are very sweet and a little chewy.
Just before it was done, I put in 2 teaspoon of oregano, 1 of thyme, and 1/2 of allspice. and the rest of the shallots.

Pull out the ginger, turn it off, but leave it on the stove covered.

Make the cornbread.

Cornbread ingredients:
1 C soft white whole wheat  
1 C corn meal
2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 eggs
5 T butter
3/4 C yogurt sour cream
1/4 C up whole milk
2 oz extra sharp cheddar
1 large pickled Jalapeno
yogurt whey or milk to adjust viscosity
Smoked pork lard
grapeseed oil

Set oven to 400°F

Put a cast iron skillet in the oven with 2 tablespoon of shortening. I used a tablespoon of smoked hog lard I made last year and the same of grapeseed oil.

Whisk the dry ingredients in a big bowl. Melt the butter,
In a smaller bowl mix the yogurt, and milk, beat in the eggs, and the course grated cheese, and the pickled (or fresh) jalepeno chopped fine. Stir in the melted butter.

Pour wet ingredients into the dry. 
Mix until just barely combined adding a little whey(or milk) at a time just until you have a mixture that will pour smoothly, but with some  reluctance.

Take the very hot skillet from the oven and pour the batter into the center. It should push sizzling oil to the edge and a little more.
Don't try to smooth the top. A little shake is OK.

Bake uncovered 30 -35 min and.......

let rest 10-15 more before slicing. I should  come out of the pan whole easily if desired.

AND.....

Ta-DAHH!

(Edited to replace original shot without money.)
(Edited to replace replacement to show correct PoL value, proper plating configuration, crumb of cornbread, and enlarged to reveal texture)

Plate with some shaved cheddar and cilantro.

The heat level was more than enough for most people, long in developing and lingering. Each bit seemed to express a slightly different set of flavors and also varied in heat to a degree.

I thought it paired nicely with a citrus-y IPA, but a good dry cider would also work. Maybe better.

Thanks for reading
JJJ

Bunni-Chili

:D

JJJessee... WOW!

Your bonus pic FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wheres the money shot?

Jesse's is nice but...

Plating:
  • Chili must be presented in a cup or bowl preferably placed on a plate.
  • Cornbread element must be on the same plate or a separate plate.
  • Some of the chili must be spooned out in a thin layer on the cornbread side (or plate). This is to show all the bits and goodness in the chili, so it can be on the cornbread, under it, over it, or next to it. If chili is "in" the cornbread, we still need to see a thin layer.
He should fix that?

Husker21 said:
Holy mole!

Tequila! 3 kinds!
 I meant the bottle lol it looks like painted mexican ceramic, like a few coffee cups i have. are those bottles ceramic, plastic, glass? they're neat

able eye said:
Wheres the money shot?

Jesse's is nice but...

Plating:
  • Chili must be presented in a cup or bowl preferably placed on a plate.
  • Cornbread element must be on the same plate or a separate plate.
  • Some of the chili must be spooned out in a thin layer on the cornbread side (or plate). This is to show all the bits and goodness in the chili, so it can be on the cornbread, under it, over it, or next to it. If chili is "in" the cornbread, we still need to see a thin layer.
He should fix that?

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Nope just spoon some out and snap a shot ;)

OK. Thanks guys I'll try to fix it here directly.

Can you share the larger file size? I see they are big pics but small on the forum.

Did the other pic show the inside of the cornbread? I think that was better. I had no problem with the plating, choose which one you like. It didn't look too deep, you could see bits. Just need bigger pics I think.

PS. I think it's a huge mistake for anyone to just show the top of the cornbread. I'm unlikely to vote unless I can see the inside. I've seen a couple.

Just called Rudy to make sure Hank's has an ingredient I won't be able to pick up until tomorrow.  If Hank's hadn't of had it, it would of been ANOTHER trip to town today to go to the Hippy Food Store. 
  :dance:
Some very creative cooking going on here.  It's tough to look at while I'm Starving!  :drooling:

hot stuff said:
It's a whole rabbit cut up.
I love rabbit, just overcooks so quickly! Looks great but could not imagine reheating it. That in lost in translation for sure not that I am fluent in the language hahahah 
The Hot Pepper said:
PS. I think it's a huge mistake for anyone to just show the top of the cornbread. I'm unlikely to vote unless I can see the inside. I've seen a couple.
Bottom only it is!

Yeah I tried to stress that in my "Newbies" post, and the BOLD and RED text in post 1 to read the 5 rules.

Every entry needs the PoL.

Which is .55.

If you didn't take it you need to plate again, or take the pic with the bulk of the ingredients you used (I am sure you still have the cans, labels, stuff, etc.)

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Bottom only it is!

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back