• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Flatbread Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks SL and Buzz! :)

Key, i'm curious to see where that last pot goes! :D

geeme said:
Ha! I will never complain about a LACK of black stuff. I would totally go for that with a BP-less alternative - looks good!

Key's got my curiosity piqued!
The fact is that this is a fake lack. I did intend to use BP but i needn't since the one on guanciale is really strong. So reading the list seems there insn't, in truth there is (creating false hope
Trollface_emoticon.png
). But i suppose without is good too that time (ad you'll tell me: as always).

I expect today is the day!

Let's see some flatbread!

Essegi, that's a very nice quesadilla like thing. Pears and pork cheek cooked in wine, oh my!

Chipotle BLT

[SIZE=medium]This is basically a BLT with some adobo and chipotle mayonnaise sauce. The bread was scratch made with 5 hours of rising time. One of the tomatoes came from my tomato plants outside. The adobo sauce was also scratch made, and then blended and combined with some mayonnaise. One side of the bread had just adobo sauce and the other the chipotle mayonnaise. There was bacon and lettuce in there somewhere also. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Ingredient List[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]4-6 piece Bacon [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Lettuce as required[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 cup Tomato pieces[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 cup chicken broth[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1/4 cup apple cider vinegar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1/4 cup onion[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2 clove garlic pieces[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2 tablespoons honey[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1/2 teaspoon sea salt or regular salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1/2 teaspoon cumin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1/4 teaspoon cinnamon[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]a few kernels of all spice[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]a pinch of cloves[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 cup farina (cream of wheat)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1/4 teaspoon instant yeast[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 cup water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 tablespoon Mediterranean Oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 teaspoon salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]fresh thyme[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]fresh rosemary[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]fresh Italian parsley[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 tablespoon Mediterranean Oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1/4 teaspoon salt or as required[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Parmesan cheese [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Canned Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make adobo sauce/Chipotle mayonnaise:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]0.           Open a can of Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Strain out the peppers, clean them off. Discard the Adobo sauce and keep the peppers to make your own.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1.           Combine 1 tomato cut into pieces, 1 cup chicken broth, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup onion, 2 clove garlic pieces, 2 tablespoons honey, 1/2 salt, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, a few all spice kernels, and a pinch of cloves in a sauce pan. Heat this mixture till it bubbles and then simmer covered on low for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, continue to simmer on low uncovered an additional 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool a bit.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           Pour adobo sauce mixture from pan into blender. Chop ingredients up until mixture is mostly thick liquid. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.           Combine 1 cup mayonnaise with 1 cup Adobo sauce. Mix well. You should have some adobo sauce left over. Use this as an additional sauce. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make bread:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]0.           Prepare some fresh herb leaves in advance, removing stems. Refrigerate until needed.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1.           In a medium bowl, mix 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup farina, and 1/4 teaspoon yeast. Add 1 cup water and 1 tablespoon oil; mix into a sticky consistency with your fingers.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit for 20 minutes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.           Sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt onto the dough and mix in with fingers. Turn dough out onto an unfloured counter and knead it with a pinch/folding motion for 10 minutes. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.           Scrape the dough into an un-oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit 30 minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5.           Spray some cooking oil on a spatula, and use it to scrape the dough out of the bowl onto a lightly floured counter. Lightly flour the top of the dough. Gently flatten the dough. Fold in four corners toward the middle of the dough. Return the dough to the un-oiled bowl, and allow it to sit another 30 minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]6.           Repeat step 5, and then let the dough sit for 2 hours.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]7.           Transfer the dough to a floured counter and flour well. Put some flour on your hands and tuck in the corners of the dough. If needed, flour the dough-then cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rest for 15 minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]8.           Remove plastic wrap, and with floured hands gently stretch dough into a long rectangle. Place onto a floured saran wrap sheet. Using a rolling pin, flatten 1/4 of a long edge of the dough out into a wide flap sufficient enough to cover the larger attached remaining dough portion. Press down with rolling pin to make a demarcation where the two dough thicknesses connect. Brush off excess flour and dust thick portion lightly with water.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]9.           Dip some of the herb leaves you prepared in advance in water, and scatter them over the thick dough portion. Fold the thin dough flap up over the thick portion and fold edges under.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]10.         Using a rolling pin, start from the short end of the rectangle, and roll dough until herbs start to stand out, but not break through. Roll the dough lengthwise and crosswise.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]11.         Dust the dough with flour, and cover with plastic wrap. Allow it to rise for 2 hours.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]12.         Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place two cookie sheets on top and bottom of oven.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]13.         Brush off remaining flour from dough, and spread 1 tablespoon Mediterranean oil over top of dough. Using a finger, make dimples in the dough-but don't press all the way through. Sprinkle on some salt and a dusting of Parmesan cheese.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]14.         There is probably a better way to do this, but in my case-I carefully picked up the dough as best I could and transferred it to the preheated cookie sheet. It got a little misshapen in this process-oh well, you learn. haha.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]15.         Toss a few ice cubes on the bottom tray, and bake bread for about 8-10 minutes. Turn the dough around on the cookie sheet, and bake another 4-6 minutes or so. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]16.         When finished, transfer dough to wire rack to cool. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]*Cook some bacon, slice some tomatoes, and tear some lettuce pieces. Combine with adobo and Chipotle mayonnaise sauces and prepared bread. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

keybrdkid said:
Chipotle BLT
Wooooooooo!
That's awesome Key! Awesome flavor's combo! And that bacon... I've just eaten something good and now i'm again hungry! Just perfect! And i like that bread (rosemary+bread=win)!
And you could use another pic. :)

The Hot Pepper said:
Essegi, that's a very nice quesadilla like thing. Pears and pork cheek cooked in wine, oh my!
Thanks!

one step forward...

Ingredients:  Lemon, Lime, Coconut Milk, Ghee,  Black Olives, Small Red Beans, Spinach, Yellow Carrots, Cilantro, Allspice, Thyme, Onion, Garlic, Chicken Roasters, Red Habaneros, Kiwano Melon, Hawaiian Papaya, Mango, Pineapple, Jerk Paste, Rice, Chipati Flour. .....(POL.....huh.......sheeet.!.. ...missing......you'll just have to look at all my photos today and tomorrow to find it...........  :P

I'm starting first with what will take the longest. Here's the two Chicken Roasters that are getting marinated with a quart of homemade pressure canned Jerk Paste.....I added 1/4c of Canaola Oil and 3 additional chopped Red Habaneros. The yardbird will get an overnighter in the fridge.

These products are pretty decent in a pinch......and there are some folks here that swear by them.
Although there's only one product shown here that I will be using for this TD.

Let's just say.........whether Rain or Shine.........the Grill must go on...

more on this tomorrow.........good luck to all!

Oh mannnnnnn!

You doing some jerk roti wraps???

Which of those bottled products you using? Showing them all might confusicate people lol.

mx up in this??  i thought you just started shit :rofl:   i be ribbing mon

im not sure what pic is doing but it looks great!

essegi:  you are just a pimp! youre welcome card was a full blown barbarano feast. you gots to dig on that.

kbk:    am i crazy or is the first time we have seen you with heavy myoglobin meat?

al b sure looking nice yall!

boss man:::     is this flat bread?
model-turns-into-pizza.gif

Today's mission: flatten some bread.

20140405_191636.jpg

Super secret bread flattening machine.
20140405_192049.jpg

I think that might just be flat enough. What do you think Boss man?

20140405_192634.jpg

A little cast iron lovin' going on right here between the flat bread and the skillet.
20140405_193509.jpg

Two types made here. 1/2 corn flour, 1/2 bread flour tortilla and all corn flour. Why two types? Tune in tomorrow when I finish the dish.

20140405_193451.jpg

Steak Gyro on Pita with Spicy Greek Salad and Habanero Horseradish Dill Pickles

FCcRDNE.jpg

qUWhgIi.jpg

uwJn35y.jpg

9JDL3gr.jpg

Pita Bread

• 1 cup water
• 2 tsp dry active yeast
• 3 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• drizzle of olive oil

Pour the warm water and yeast into the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attached. Let stand 5 minutes. Slowly add the flour, salt, and olive oil while kneading the dough. The dough should be tacky, so you may not need 3 full cups of flour. It's better to have too little flour than too much (you can always add more later). Knead the dough in the mixer until it is smooth, about 5 minutes. Brush a little olive oil over the dough, cover with plastic wrap and a clean kitchen towel. Let rise for an hour or until it has doubled in size.

Turn the dough out onto a floured working surface. Cut the dough into 6 pieces. Using a rolling pin, flatten each piece into a circle about 1/4 inch thick. Add more flour if the dough is too sticky. Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Drizzle a little olive oil into the skillet before adding the disks of dough. Cook the pita for about 30 seconds or until bubbles start to form. Flip the dough over and cook for about a minute, until lightly browned. Flip the dough back over and cook for another minute, until the pita puffs up. Remove from heat and cover with a clean dish towel. Repeat with remaining pieces of dough.

Steak Filling

• ½ Tablespoons Olive Oil
• 1 lb. thin sliced Sirloin, cut cross-grain
• 3 drops Worcestershire Sauce
• 2 dashes Lemon Pepper
• 1 dash Paprika
• 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder

Heat olive oil in a skillet and add beef, Worcestershire sauce, a dash of lemon pepper, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, and cook the beef over medium high heat in cast iron skillet.

Tzatziki Sauce

• ¼ cup Cucumber, finely chopped
• 1 cup plain yogurt
• ¼ cup Red Onion, finely chopped
• 2 dashes White Wine Vinegar
• ½ teaspoons Dill
• ½ teaspoons Salt

Combine all ingredients.

Greek Salad

• ¼ Cup chopped cuke
• ¼ cup chopped red onion
• ¼ cup each chopped red and orange bell pepper
• ¼ cup chopped tomato
• 2 cups spinach and mixed greens
• ½ cup feta cheese

Combine all ingredients.

Greek Dressing

• ½ cup Scotch Bonnet infused EVOO
• ¼ cup red wine vinegar
• ½ tsp Dijon Mustard
• 2 crushed garlic cloves
• ½ tsp oregano
• ½ tsp sea salt
• ½ tsp blackpepper
Combine all ingredients.

The Hot Pepper said:
Oh mannnnnnn!

You doing some jerk roti wraps???

Which of those bottled products you using? Showing them all might confusicate people lol.

Jerk roti wraps ?........na, but that will be one of my leftover dishes....

Which product ?.......as stated in the caption only one...since I'm grilling then the choice will be the Jamaican lump charcoal......in the box

Confusicate people ?.......... :lol: ............na, no political advertisments here, but know I feel quilty and may weave two of those Walker's products into part of the dish. Now to fiqure out wish one's.....after I take the cork off the Rum bottle..........LOL

Ohhhhh I considered the sauce, not the charcoal. Well played!

Posty up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back