• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Flatbread Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Spring in the Methow!  and everything's getting Green and Twispy!  Time to Shrimp it up!!!!
IMG_2420.JPG

a recently reclaimed frozen fatalii, PoL and a big shrimp  (isn't that an oxymoron???  LOL~~~)
IMG_2422.JPG

Naan bread proofing-
IMG_2425.JPG

Ingreeds prepped and the fatalii and garlic sufficiently SlapChopped-
IMG_2426.JPG

Proofed, punched, proofed and rolled out-
IMG_2429.JPG

My grill stinks...it does not cook evenly, but enough to get it done....
IMG_2432.JPG

IMG_2434.JPG

First set of ingredients getting all happy- onion and apple sautéed with some peanut oil and spicy sesame oil, ginger and garlic.  Add 2 cans coconut milk, and 2 big teaspoons of green curry paste, then reducereducereduce.... twist of salt....

IMG_2435.JPG

Add the asparagus, zucchini, green onions...then shrimps.... basil and cilantro......(serve up for the Boys.) add that minced fatalii....and ......
IMG_2438.JPG

Twispy Green Curry and Naan!

Spring has Sprung!  and everything is green in the valley!  Time for some Green Curry and Naan!

Having some wonderful big shrimp hanging about, and some wonderful fresh asparagus, the inspiration was set!

Naan bread-
1 pkt yeast
1 cup warm water
-mix and let set for about 10 minutes, then add-
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 tst salt
1/4 c milk
about 4 cups flour
mix to a soft dough, let rest and rise in a warm place for about a hour, punch down, let rise for another half hour.  Divide into golf ball size portions, let rise again, then roll out flat...
Cook on a grill, bbq or flat iron pan.  If desired, brush cooked bread with butter and garlic (fresh or powdered)
IMG_2434.JPG

Curry Sauce-
1/2 onion
1 green apple- peeled, trimmed, diced
1 Tbsp ginger (I used fresh frozen)
2 tsp minced garlic
2T cooking vegetable oil
1 tsp spicy sesame oil
--------
Saute onion and apple until soft.
----------------
Add 2 cans coconut milk
reduce until of a nice consistency
--------------------

Add 
1 bunch asparagus tips
1 zucchini,. trimmed, sliced
1 bunch green onions, washed trimmed, cut on the bias
then add-
1 pound shrimp- cleaned, rinsed, shell and tails removed
1 Tbsp Chile of Choice ( I used 1 large frozen fatalii for about half of the shown pan)

At the very last minute, throw in-
1/4c fresh basil chiffonade
1/2c fresh cilantro- chopped

IMG_2438.JPG

Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, and a slice of fresh lime for a squeeze.
Portion out with pieces of fresh baked naan bread,
IMG_2445.JPG

IMG_2446.JPG

The ultimate win is...the 'Kid ate the shrimp, bread, sauce and "green beans"......(it was asparagus....SSSShhhhhhhh!!!!!!) ..........

Pinches... Vacas!

Flatbread... so many permutations... so versatile. I went with flour tortillas with Scotch Bonnet.

No beating around the bush on this one. Here's what happened.

See my teaser... click here.

Tortilla:
2 cup flour, 1 tsp Crisco, 1 tsp baking powder, 2/3 cup water, 1/2 Scotch Bonnet minced... mix it up. Split into 6 balls.

Flatten out ~1/8" and toss on hot dry griddle ~ 60 secs per side.

Deep fry one into a "plate".

Cook up some yellow rice. Mix in some rinsed black beans. Top that with sofrito.

Sofrito:
Fresno pepper, chopped. 1/2 Poblano pepper, chopped. Small onion, chopped. Garlic, slivered.

Fry up the first three ingredients till the onion is about translucent, then add the garlic for another 2-3 mins of heat. Done.

Chimichurri:
1/2 c cilantro leaves, 1/2 c broad leaf parsley, 3 garlic cloves (minced), 2 tsp dry oregano, 1 tsp Kosher salt, 1/2 c Extra Virgin OO, 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, 1 tsp red pepper flakes.

Blend and chill in fridge ~ 1 hour.

Pico de Gallo:
tomato (dice), red onion (dice), cilantro (mince), 1 clove garlic (mince) 1/2 poblano (dice), 1 lime (juice), salt to taste.

Skirt Steak:
Rock salt rub for about 6 mins. Brush it all off and toss on grill. Grill to your perfection.

Shrimp (Pinches Camarones):
Stab with bamboo and toss on grill ~60 secs per side.

No forks, spoons, or knives needed. Rip off some tortilla and grab a pinch.

13655675865_778c1e2d9e_b.jpg

13657029473_b6fae70a7e_b.jpg

13656702675_8e3c88eddb_b.jpg

What's the difference in the yellow tortilla and the white one?

I saw you deep fried one... how was the white one cooked, on griddle/comal? Didn't say.

Lookin' good.

The Hot Pepper said:
I saw you deep fried one... how was the white one cooked, on griddle/comal? Didn't say.

Lookin' good.

All the white ones were tossed on a hot griddle. And, yeah, that's in there, but good lookin' out... sometimes I forget to mention thangs.

I'll have to pull a Scovie, and look at it in the morning with fresh eyes. See if I can't clear things up. ;)

Dammit I'm an idiot. It says it right there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FAIL ME!

Awesome entry.

salsalady said:
big shrimp  (isn't that an oxymoron???  LOL~~~)
I suppose it's that we call "gamberone". :D

Sum, interesting usage of cookong salt on steak. In general i put it directly on the meat when it's on the grill (and it's good), i should try that too.

I'm in like Flynn and my flow is dope!

TB's Cheesy Pilot Bread w/Chorizo Foo Foo

Back in Alaska a favorite for many is Pilot Bread. Sailor Boy Brand is the a real Alaskan's choice to buy. Or you could just make your own. Some would call it a hard biscuit. Or hard tack. You can put any 'thang on it. Make a pizza. PBJ. Cream cheese & smoked salmon. Or just a chunk of cheese. Its also an excellent vehicle for hot sauce or pickled 'peno's.

Are ya' feelin' me?

I made mine with mucho love, flour, butter, Tabby Green, and shredded cheddar cheese.

Dumped ever 'thang in a bigass bowl and did much man hand stirrin', stranglin', n' wrasslin' with it until it was a big majone or log. Then I threw it in the fridge for a spell to chillax.

Missed a pic somewhere.

Anyhow I yanked it from the fridge and sliced it into thin wafers a little bit bigger than a Ritz, n' thow'd 'em on a sheet pan and into the oven on three fitty for fitteen minuto's.

Here they are out of the oven all happy and chillin'.

I really didn't have a plan for the crackah's. Somehow some beef chorizo fell into my cart at the grocery store. 

I just started throwin' sheeit ever whar'.

Like cream cheese, garlic, sun dried tomato, and olive oil for some kine'o' cheese spread.

Decided I'd make a little chorizo picadillo with minced garlic, fined diced onion, the chorizo and a handful of pickled chiltepins.

Just look at all that grease. In fact the word chorizo translates literally as "holy shit! that's a lotta' grease!" But ya' know, fat is flavor and I was down with it.

Crappy pic of the sun dried tom cheese spread. Reckon'd I'd slice up a fresh jalapeno, and use the carrot escabeche from the chiltepin's for a little foo foo.

Somehow or another I wound up with this platter of cheesy chorizo foo foo 'thangs.

Lemme' 'splain y'all.

These were GOODERN' HELL!

I ate two and started havin' visions of doin' shots of Mezkin party liquor and gamblin' n' dancin' with hotty hot senorita's down at the Balinese! 

I ate and swaller'd 'em all and warshed it all down with more tequila party liquor.

I was buzzin' like a mad bee in a coke can!

It's a beautiful day in the hood......bang..bang......snap..crackle........pop !
Ah........the sounds of the lump charcoal blazing in the smoker. 
The temperature was regulated to 235 and the marinated yardbirds were placed in. It will take around 6 hrs to get the internal temp where I need it (160).

Meanwhile I made a Caribbean style Pico...
I'll be back in 2hrs with the "scratch flatbread procedure"...........my version

TB's Cheezy Pilot Bread w/Chorizo Foo Foo

The Crackah'.

1 C flour
3 T's unsalted butter
1/3 bottle Tabasco Green
3/4 C fine shredded cheddar cheese

Hand mixed all ingredients and rolled into a log. Chillax'd in the fridge for one hour then sliced into thin wafers and baked for 15 minutes @350f.

Assembly.

Topped with sun dried tomato & garlic cream cheese spread followed by chorizo picadillo (minced garlic, fine diced onion, beef chorizo, and pickled chiltepin chile's.

Garnished with escobeche'd carrot slices, fresh jalapeno wheels and green onion.

uno.

dos.

tres.

Chingon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back