• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Flatbread Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rye bread set aside to rest
20140406_085416.jpg

Heres the start to the simplest non leavening flatbread....no yeast nor baking powder.
Chapati Flour, Water, Oil and Salt.

Turn on the Hobart..hand blender........ :lol: ......since this dough is low protein and hydration levels are not critical, I chose to mix by hand which will insure a tender texture. A well was made into the Flour and Salt was added, enough water was added to make the mix pliable...add small amount of Oil. Knead for 2 minutes.

Make a ball out of the dough and place in a bowl covered with plastic wrap or a towel. Let rest for at least 30 min to let the Flour absorb the Water.

Roll out into 12" disc using additional spare amount of Flour.

Heat up a pan to medium heat and toast the skin on both sides flipping until puffy and brown in spots....put with the rest into zip lock bags.
This was too simple.....
Hey wait a pepper pickin minute......... :P .........This is a throwdown.....that was waaaay too easy, I think I'll step this flatbread up a level or two to be competive with those who'll show their's from scratch...

Those who saw my ingredients shot may remember the Spinach, Yellow Carrots and the Black Olives. Here's the start to a Quad color flatbread called a "Paratha". In the far bowls to the left are Pureed Spinach with Cilantro, Yellow Carrot puree with Scotch Bonnet Powder, and Black Olive puree with ground Allspice. The dough balls were 1.5c of Flour mixed with a tbl of melted Ghee and 1/4 c of the puree...touch of Salt. Same process as the standard Roti.....The white dough ball is straight Flour and water. On the right there are each of the dugh balls rolled out.
What a coincidence.........the 4 colors are the same on the Jamaican FlagL................What do you Know ?

Stack the discs and jelly roll.

Cut the  jelly roll into sections. Using a rolling pin roll out each sectin one at a time.

Depending how the flatbread gets rolled, the ty dye colors can vary. I'm using a larger traditional "Tawa" to heat up the breads.....all done ?
Not yet....one more step....... :P

Guess what frying up in the Oil...........time to check on the Birds...

Lemon chutney smothered seafood tacos with warm totopos and pico

Tortillas:
1 cup corn flour
1 cup bread flour
1 Tbsp annuum powder blend
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
1Tbsp Crisco or canola oil
1 Cup water + a little bit

Press in the tortilla press then, cook on a really hot and dry cast iron skillet about 60 seconds per side.

Totopos:
1 cup corn flour
Tbsp annuum powder blend
½ tsp salt
Tbsp canola oil
enough water to make a stiff and not sticky dough.

Press in the tortilla press then, cook on a really hot and dry cast iron skillet about 60 seconds per side. When cool, cut each tortilla into 6 pieces and deepfry in the same cast iron skillet now filled with oil. Keep oil hot for later.
Sprinkle with salt

Lemon chutney:
3 yellow hot peppers chopped (not 7pot yellow)
1 sweet onion chopped
⅔ cup lemon juice
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
Simmer all ingredients until soft and run through a food processor until blended but still chunky. Return to pan and simmer for 10 minutes then set aside for later.

Pico:
Roma tomato,
white onion
Jalapeno
Sweet orange pepper
cilantro
lemon juice
salt and pepper

Seafood tacos:
Shrimp
Any fish, I used flounder
egg and milk
Rice flour
Panko crumbs

Dip the shrimp and fish in egg milk mixture, rice flour, then back in the egg egg and milk and then Panko. Deep fry in that cast iron skillet and oil that  kept hot until golden brown.

Build the taco: corn and flour tortilla, shredded cabbage, seafood, lemon chutney. Simple.
servo with totopos and pico de gallo.

20140406_121715.jpg

20140406_122559.jpg

20140406_121737.jpg

20140406_121946.jpg

bread has rested time to make some flatbread
20140406_111258.jpg

Grab a small bunch of dough and roll out to 1/4 thickness (you can make as big as you like) i used another bowl to make uniform circles
20140406_113212.jpg

20140406_113240.jpg

Place in oven on backside of cast iron skillet @ 450 for 2 min each side
20140406_113409.jpg

20140406_115943.jpg

Set on cooling rack
20140406_115434.jpg

All done.....more to come
20140406_120848.jpg

Thousand island dressing prep
2.jpg

Corned beef out of slow cooker
1.jpg

frydad4 said:
what an amazing use of CI!!!!
cant wait to see the rest!

I agree  !...the stack of those  flatbread pita's reminds of the joints here down at "Greek Town" ..... salamander seared Gyros (lamb) off the roto-spit.....yum.

The Bird's are done.....just at the 160 point.......I'll let them rest for 30 minutes plus while I get moving on the last ingredient.

Here's the end of one of the legs.....smokey-jerky-goodness....don't let der color fool ya....the chick is tender.

Dang look at those pepper seeds..I could have had another 30 plants in the grow room.........yikes !

Now for the last part of the puzzle..dish. A pot of Carribean Rice. The combo of the Coconut Milk along with the Allspice stes this one apart.
Once brought to a boil it will simmer for 1/2 hr. Just enough time for me to shred the Chicken

This Jerk Chicken needs no help, it is juicy, smokey, and tender........I probably had a full serving already while shredding......... :lol:
I might have to go to the health club tomorrow........twice !

The Rice is down...just needs some fluff'in. ..Most recipes call for putting the pepper in and taking the pepper out. Them are fighting words, this Rice dish is no "hokey-pokey".....lol. I not only am keeping that pepper for me but I also added 2 chopped up Red Habs into the mix also.

plating shots.....later

Hey Boss man. There is way too many good ones in this throwdown. Can you enable multiple voting for this one so I can vote for several of the best. :D

Caribbean Jerk Salad...........mon

Ingredients:

1 Lemon
1 Lime
1 Can of Coconut Milk
1 Can of Small Red Beans
1 c Black Olives
1 bunch Spinach
3 Yellow Carrots
1 c Cilantro
1 tbl Allspice Powder
10 sprigs of Thyme
1 Onion
6 cloves of Garlic
2 Chicken Roasters
8 Red Habaneros
1 Kiwano Melon
1 Hawaiian Papaya
2 Mangos
1 Pineapple
1 qt pre-made Jerk Marinade
3 c Rice
6 c Chapati Flour

Procedure(s)

Jerk Chicken

Marinate 2 Chicken Roasters in 1 qt of Jerk Marinade, adding 1/4c of Canola Oil and chopping up 4 Red Habaneros. Place in the fridge for 24hrs.
Fire up grill/smoker (BGE) to 235 deg...using Jamaican Lump Charcoal and Piemto Wood. Smoke  Chicken for 5.5 hrs as I did to reach internal temp of 160...breast meat...Let rest for 40 minutes and shred up, keeping covered until needed.

Caribbean Pico

Dice Mangos, Papaya, Pineapple into 1/4" chop. Puree . Add pureed pulp and seeds from 1 Kiwano Melon, chop Onion and dice 6 cloves of Garlic. Tear a hanful of Cilantro, add 1 tsp Salt and the Juice from a Lemo and Lime. Set aside until needed.

Caribbean Rice

Add 3 c of Rice , 1 can of drained small Red Beans, half of a chopped Onion, 2 pressed cloves of Garlic to a pot. Add 2 diced Red Habaneros, leaves from 10 Thyme sprigs, 1 tsp ground Allspice, 1 can of Coconut Milk, enough water to bring liquid up to knuckles width. Top with a whole Red Habanero. Bring Rice mix to a boil, reduce to a simmer (with lid on) for 30 minutes. Fluff with fork...recover until needed.

Salad Bowl

Puree 1 bunch of Spinach with a handful of Cilantro and a pinch of Salt with  1/4 c of Waterand 1 tbl of Ghee.
Puree 3 Yellow Carrots with 1 tbl Yellow Scotch Bonnet Powder and a pinch of Salt with 1/4 c of Water and 1 tbl of Ghee.
Puree 1 c of Black Olives with 1 tsp of ground Allspice and a pinch of Salt with 1/4 c of Water and 1 tbl of Ghee.
Mix each puree with 1.5 cups of Flour, knead for 2 minutes and let rest for 45 minutes.
Mix 1.5 c of plain Chipati Flour with 1/2 c of water...also knead and rest.
Roll each dough ball into a large disc, overlapping all four. Roll the stack into a jelly roll. Cut 2" sections apart. Roll each flattened section into its own 12"disc. Pan bake each disc on a medium high heated Tawa...flip over when brown spots appear. Slightly press any air pockets that form.
Bring Deep Fry Oil to 340 deg. Pressing down Flatbread with Salad Bowl shaper...frying until golden...drain on paper towels.

Plating 

Add Caribbean Rice to bottom of shell, add a generous amout of Jamaican Jerk Chicken, topped with the Caribbean Pico and a few shots of Walkerswood's Fire-Shot.

Here's the star of my dish.....a Jamaican influenced flatbread salad bowl that packs a barrel of flavor throughout.

another star from a different local.....JJ as it's referred to on the East side of Chi-Town. Jamaican Jerk Chicken. This is one of my all time favorite dishes.
Must be the chilihead in my roots but I love the heat. Those who scrape the skin off their Chicken should leave it on for this one. Killer flavor from the marinade, enough heat to knock your sandals....or snow boots off.............. :party: 

Here it is.....all I can say is "loaded".............not me !

and the "pizza wedge" appy portion.
Thanks for seeing this one through, hope at least some of you will find this different and not the typical.

Good luck to all entries....

Habanero MANcake Flatbread.

Lly6KRF.jpg

Ingredients:
2 cups pancake mix (yeah, that's right)
1 cup milk (okay, I forgot to put that in my ingredients pic, sue me)
2 eggs
2 teaspoons sugar
5 habaneros
1 pound ground beef
half an onion
5 garlic gloves
teriyaki sauce
sriracha sauce
cheddar cheese

Recipe:
1. First, mix the meat with minced onion and garlic, and add some teriyaki sauce in there. Once you've formed the meat into several juicy meatballs, put them in a container and pour copious amounts of teriyaki sauce on them. Let marinate overnight.
2. Mix the pancake mix, milk, eggs, sugar, and minced habanero in a bowl until no longer clumpy. Pour this onto a greased up square baking dish, and put it in the oven on 350. Leave it in until almost done (about 15 minutes), and then put the broiler on low to let the top crisp a little.
3. In the meantime, heat up those meatballs on a skillet and let them simmer a while in the teriyaki sauce.
4. Once the pancake is done, squirt sriracha all over it for the sauce, and place halved meatballs on top. Finish it up with tons of cheese, and put it back into the oven until melted.
5. Eat!

Em4FkTc.jpg

WNPQjgm.jpg

kbbQ5R2.jpg

There you have it, my first throwdown submission. I'm not gonna lie, it looks kinda childish compared to the other ones... Anyways, I had a great time making it and an even better time eating it!

LOL I'm not kidding, Big D is my frontrunner right now, just because he called it a MANcake!!!
So is Pic 1 with the strange looking tortilla! Love it!

Looks great Big D!!!! Congrats on the first TD!! Hope it's the first of many!

WOW!!!!!  What GREAT TD entries so far!!!!!!

I knew I saw BACON for Key's stuff, and a BLT?!?!???   Comfort food...SWEEEET!!!!

I agree that SumBits should have a handicap of posting his food pics via Etch-a-Sketch!!!!  (Not Really....but Kinda.....~~~....xoxo SumBits!)

Pic 1- Great food pics. 

and WELCOME to the TD Foray, BigD!!!!  Way to do it up for your first TD! Thanks for jumping to the TD arena!   

Laid Back Rueben

Flatbread--
1.5 C warm water
1 T rapid rise yeast
3 T molasses
1/4 C powdered milk
2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 C oil
3/4 C rye flour
3.5 C bread flour
1 T baking powder

Place cast iron in middle of oven upside down and preheat to 450
Place all ing. in stand mixer in order, attach dough hook, and set to lowest setting for 10 min.
Dough should remove from sides and bottom, if not add flour in small doses
Remove from stand mixer, and set in warm area to rest for 1.5 hrs
After rest, grab small bunch and roll out to desired size but no less than 1/4" thick
Let oven set for 10 min after preheat to ensure CI is HOT
place on CI and cook 2 min each side,
Remove from oven and set on cooling rack

Innards--
Swiss Chees slice, cut in half
Corned beef--I didnt show how to cook cause deli will work, but i set mine in slow cooker for 8 hrs
Saurkraurt
Thousand Island--blend with 1 hab and pinch of salt
Cut remaining hab in thin slices for topping

Assemble--
Place corned beef on flatbread followed by swiss cheese, set under broiler untill cheese melts
Add saurkraut and thousand dressing, top with pepper rings

Assemble--
3.jpg

Final Plating--

4.jpg

6.jpg

Good luck to entries!!

OMG!!! a REUBEN!!!  That looks so enticing!!!!

BB81- for your final post you can only have 4 pics.  either edit your one above to only have four pics... or... add more pics to the post above to include ingredinents, prep pics etc... and then copy/paste it again for your final post with only 4 pics.  Your text above is good...just need to sort out the pics.  Personally, I like to see ingredients and prep pics.  Makes it easier to get the whole story.  :)   

Two things...
1. That looks friggin amazing! Damn, I'd mouth pound a dozen or two of those, and then freeze the rest to eat as popcicles.

2. Bonus points for cooking a throwdown with a little one at home, as evidenced by the bottles all cleaned up in the background. 
I've been there. 
You need a release...and THP is the perfect place to "get away" without actually going anywhere. Nice job.

Don't get any hot sauce on those nipples!!!

(the making of a signature)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back