• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Mexican Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could really go for a Beef soft taco, 2 Crisp Meat, 2 Crisp Chicken and 2 Crisp Bean burritos right now. With 6 sides of their sour cream. Sofa King delishuss.

taco_time.jpg

crispburritos.png

Taco_Time_Beef_Soft_Taco_7215237.png

ls.jpg

Tinnie's Po-Po-Pozole

Ingredients:

- 1 Pork Shank/Knuckle (approx 1kg) cut into 3 pieces
- 1 Pig's Trotter cut into quarters
- 1 cup of dried white corn (Pozole/Maize Blanco/Mote) soaked over night in water
- 1 White onion halved
- 3 Cloves of garlic
- 1 Carrot diced
- 3 Jalapenos diced
- 2 half inch slices of ginger
- 2t Oregano
- 1t Cumin
- 1t (heaped) Shorerider's smoked cayenne powder
- 1t (heaped) Shorerider's Tabasco powder
- 1t Ajinomoto
- Salt and pepper to taste

To garnish: Green onions and Corriander (didnt end up using the lemon)

Method:

- Fill a Large pot with Pork pieces and cold water.... bring to boil and after 5 minutes remove pork and discard water.... wash pork pieces under running water.... this should remove most impurities.
- Put pork into slow cooker with onion, garlic, ginger, jalapenos, carrot, white corn. Add 8 cups of water or enough to cover everything. 
- After 12 hours add salt, pepper powders, cumin, oregano and ajinomoto.
- After 6 more hours remove the pork and transfer the soup into a large pot, bring to boil for half an hour more. The white corn should "pop" and the soup will shorten a little. Shred the pork at this time and discard any bones or undesirables.
- Fold shredded pork back through soup and take off heat.
- Serve with corriander and green onions.

2016-08-06%2017.11.50_zpsnfaf2hvg.jpg
2016-08-06%2017.49.27_zpsqd5eieoj.jpg
2016-08-07%2012.30.52_zpsnqs97ifg.jpg
2016-08-07%2013.31.43_zps3fus4fhu.jpg

This was a very enjoyable cook for me.... i was juggling a few things this weekend, and learning/adjusting along the way, hence the slightly unorthodox method of cooking.... but couldnt be happier with the end result. First time cooking/eating Pozole and it wont be the last.... first time using pork shank too..... incredible cut of meat.... tummy is very happy  :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back