• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Mexican Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tinnie, I once beat Sumofmybits in a throwdown with Posole'.  I wish you the same luck.  Looks great.

Thegreenchilemonster, what are the chances that you could roast and can about 12 mason jars full of those peppers for me?  I will pay top price.  Or can you give me a source to buy them?

mmm those look good, I just roasted a ton of pablanos and big jims the other day, peeled and tossed in the freezer. That makes me want to dig them out. 

Scoville DeVille said:

They are definitely NOT a burrito the way I think of burritos. They are deep fried in a flour tortilla so yeah a Flautas or Chimichanga is more like what they really are. I don't know why they call them a burrito.  But dam they are so good. I miss Seattle for Taco Time and Dick's!

attachicon.gif
TacoTime_160118_mm_01_t.png

Can't tell how big they are, almost looks like a taquito

The BUM'S Drunken Surf and Turf Taco Adventure with a KISS

I Hadn't planned on TD'ing last night but half way into my bottle of pussers rum I said eff it dude let's go bowling   :rofl:

Ingredients:

Fresh Maine Lobster Steamed and meat removed from shell
Grilled Avocado
Grilled Shishito Pepper from the garden
Fresh Garlic from the garden 
Pickled Red Onion
Champagne Vinegar
I would have like to used flank/skirt but already had a couple nice ny strips
Corn Tortillas
S/P
20160806_190110.jpg

Directions:

S/P steak then gently grill over hardwood lump to your desired temp. After the steak is done toss on your Avocado, Shishito and tortillas to get a little color. Assemble your taco in anyway you like. I went avocado,shishito,steak,lobster,pickled red onion, when the tortillas came off the grill I rubbed them with a couple cut cloves of garlic. 

Shot of the lump getting ready
20160806_185557.jpg

In the patch snagging a shishito 
20160806_185656.jpg

Here's where I started to TD a whole different meal..lol half way into that I remembered I had the weber going for some tacos....true 
20160806_185842.jpg

No fancy final shots -  just me hanging over the edge of my deck getting ready to smash that taco into my pie whole- no plate
20160806_193634.jpg

20160806_193641.jpg

:cheers:

JayT said:
Tinnie, I once beat Sumofmybits in a throwdown with Posole'.  I wish you the same luck.  Looks great.

Thegreenchilemonster, what are the chances that you could roast and can about 12 mason jars full of those peppers for me?  I will pay top price.  Or can you give me a source to buy them?
If there is a Wegmans near you, they bring out a truck of green chiles straight from Hatch only one weekend a year during harvest time. You can buy them roasted, or unroasted. I buy them by the bushel, ziplock bags of 6 chiles per bag, and throw them in the freezer for year round use. I already have an order placed for this years crop.

Tacos de Barbacoa, Tamales de Elote, y Chiles Rellenos

Barbacoa de Cachete

4 lbs of beef cheek
1 onion
3 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
Half of a head of garlic
2 teaspoons of salt, or to taste

Have your butcher slice all of the cheek meat from the cow. Depending on the size of the cow, you can get about two pounds of cheek meat per cow. Trim the majority of the fat from the outside of the beef cheeks, then cut the cheeks into 2 inch by 2 inch chunks. Put the cheeks in a slow cooker, along with a diced up onion, half a head of diced up garlic, the bay leaves, the cumin, the cinnamon, and the salt. Slow cook this for at least 8-12 hours. The meat should just fall apart. Take the meat out, and place it in a dutch oven. Strain all of the broth from the slow cooker into the dutch oven with the meat. Shred the meat into strands. Put the dutch oven in the oven uncovered at 350 degrees, for an hour and a half, or until most of the broth has evaporated and soaked back into the meat. Serve this on a tortilla with fresh pico de gallo.

Tamales de Elote

12 corn on the cob
10 tablespoons of butter
4 cups of corn masa
2 cups of sugar
1 tablespoon of salt

Start by shucking the corn, then rinse and clean the corn well. Start some tamale husks soaking in warm water. Using a knife, de kernel the corn, then add the corn kernels to a blender. Puree all of the kernels of corn, then add the puree to a big mixing bowl. Add in 10 tablespoons of melted butter, the sugar, the salt, and half of the corn masa. Mix this very well, then add the remaining 2 ups of corn masa, and mix well. Wrap the prepared masa in tamale husks, tie them up, then steam them for two hours. Make sure to stack them in a way that the steam can get to all of them. Serve with some creamed green chile on the side, or smothered.

Chiles Rellenos con Crema de Chile Verde

18 Hatch Green Chiles
6 cups of canola oil
4 eggs
2 cups of flour
4 cups of grated queso asadero/oaxaca
2 cups of crema Mexicana

Peel the roasted skin off the green chiles, then de seed them. Leave the stem intact, and try to only make one slit in them, so that you can stuff them. Save 6 chiles aside for the sauce. Stuff the chiles with the shredded cheese, and wrap them up. Whip up the eggs, then dunk the chiles in the whipped eggs, then coat completely in flour, then fry in the canola oil, until the coating of the chiles becomes golden/golden brown. Add the crema Mexicana, and 6 deseeded and destemmed green chiles to a blender. Puree this well. Put the cream from the blender in a saucepan, and begin to simmer. Add in 1 cup of cheese, and once melted smother cooked chile rellenos with it.

Pol

:clap:

Yay I don't have to fake quit!

I'd recommend a pic of the tamal cut open surely you have some left. ;) And the relleno if possible. And take out a couple raw ingredient pics. :)

Killer brunch!

The Hot Pepper said:
:clap:

Yay I don't have to fake quit!

I'd recommend a pic of the tamal cut open surely you have some left. ;) And the relleno if possible. And take out a couple raw ingredient pics. :)

Killer brunch!
Thanks! I don't have any pics of the tamale cut open, but I was kind of torn between posting the final plate with a tamale wrapped or unwrapped. I took a pic of both, but in the end I went with wrapped. Here is a pic unwrapped and covered in the creamed green chile.

I definitely should have taken pics of a cut open chile relleno, but I forgot about everything as soon as I took my first bite, lol!

Scoville DeVille said:
That taco meat looks killer! The only other stuff I see is creamed chile sauce. I would want mine on the side. :mope:
Thanks! Yeah, that's why I included the pic of the wrapped tamale in my final pic, instead of smothered. I figured that everyone has seen a chile relleno before, so smothering that in the final pic wouldn't ruin the aesthetics of the dish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back