• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Oktoberfused Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maultaschen

I didn’t have much of an idea of what to prepare for this month along German fusion lines. So I decided to try German/Italian. As I was perusing the internet, I found a recipe for the German version of Ravioli (target,) and thought I’d give it a whirl. Essentially, egg noodle dough combined with German influenced-flavors like mustard, bacon, and marjoram. According to story, this dish was, in part, formed so that the Swabians could keep eating meat during Lent (resulting from concealment amidst the spinach.)

Ingredient List

2 2/3 cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks (plus about 1 egg white…fail. :D)
1 egg yolk
1 Tablespoon EV Olive Oil
Water as required to form dough
3 slices bacon
½ cup onion
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
2 slices Italian bread (old) soaked (2 Tablespoon water)
½ Package thawed frozen spinach, squeezed/chopped
1 Tablespoon dried parsley
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
¼ teaspoon Yellow/Green 7 Pod flakes/powder
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon dried marjoram
Ground beef as required
¼ teaspoon salt
Ground black pepper as required
2 cubes Beef Bullion
Saucepan of water

Dough (credit to the internet):
  1. Mix flour, egg yolks, salt, olive oil, and water to make dough. Knead dough for a few minutes, then pour some canola oil into a bowl; place dough inside. Cover dough with saran wrap, then let sit for about one hour.
  2. When ready to prepare Maultaschen (Meat Pocket,) remove dough from bowl and place on floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll dough very flat. After filling has been prepared (and placed on the rolled out dough,) use a sharp knife to cut some straight lines across the dough between the filling mounds. In addition, cut a line in the opposite direction between the filling.
  3. Using an egg yolk, brush egg around the outer parts of each Maultaschen-so that when the dough is folded over the top: dough will stick.
  4. When beef broth is heated, fold dough over filling and pinch edges closed. Carefully place maultaschen in liquid to cook for 15 minutes.
  5. Garnish with Parsley when ready. Serve in beef broth.
Meat filling (credit to the internet):
  1. Places three pieces of bacon into a skillet. Allow them to cook thoroughly. Remove bacon from the pan. Chop bacon up into pieces. Set aside-leaving bacon residue in pan.
  2. Slice up about ½ cup of onion into small pieces, then toss them in the skillet with the leftover bacon residue. Allow them to brown nicely, then remove and set aside.
  3. Take prepared ground beef, and add it to a mixing bowl. Add cooked bacon, onions, and old Italian bread that has been slightly soaked in water.
  4. Chop up ½ package de-thawed spinach; add to mixing bowl.
  5. Prepare a quantity of mustard in a bowl (I used Dijon) mixed with ¼ teaspoon of 7 pod powder. Add about one tablespoon to mixture.
  6. Add to the aforementioned ¼ teaspoon dried thyme, ¼ teaspoon marjoram, 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder, and ground pepper as required.
  7. Add one egg yolk.
  8. Mix ingredients well, then refrigerate until needed.
  9. When ready to prepare maultaschen, form filling into small balls with hands or spoon-and place on rolled out dough.
Beef Broth (guess work)
  1. Add some water to a pan, and add cubes of beef Bullion as required. Allow mixture to heat well.
  2. When ready to cook, place prepared maultaschen in beef broth and cook for 15 minutes.
  3. Save some beef broth for serving.
OctoberTD10.jpg

OctoberTD5.jpg

So..I'm just now waking up from that lil party with hh81 and his other half..and my husband..and the kids..and j, I felt bad for the kids who all was choking like mad from all the pepper fumes thanks to hh81 and his wife...
Aside from that mess.. And staying up all night trying to stay awake and eat my brother's food and not being able to stay cause my daughter passed out and needed to sleep..
their dishes were so delicious the lefse brought me back to my childhood but had a little kick to it.. I was snacking on the lefse I broke in half... Sorry hh, you'll still get over it!

Thanks wheebz and LDHS, up til 3:30am doing that shiz :) But damn worth it! Awesome flavor, awesome colors. Damn the crown, it was that good.

Course i'd still take a crown if it was were presented to me :)

But damn worth it! Awesome flavor, awesome colors. Damn the crown, it was that good.

Course i'd still take a crown if it was were presented to me :)
I'd have to agree! Loved yours and the Fredo/spatzel.. I ate most of your dish..but I ate it so fast the burning caught up to me and everything turned numb..now my tummy hates me..lots of acid coming and burning. And I ate most of her dish too..not gonna lie, between just your two dishes..I'm conflicted.. Then again..German foods in general makes judging hard, I loves me some German foods!

That is a very full counter top GM!!!! Good start there!

What's your kittykat's name??? You have a cute supervisor!!!!! :)

is posting pics of the process during it appreciated or not in the TD thread?

i had to make butter from the heavy cream i was going to use for creme brulee later in the weekend ...

3F605F74-8E32-43F8-9F33-80A667449A8D-598-0000044C9C50B6B0.jpg

separate ...

818FA79C-72C6-4B3A-A293-1D1ECC9CE7AD-598-0000044C8DC09C13.jpg

rinse w/ cold water and press ...

C723503F-D584-4FF3-9C62-5D457088E51B-598-0000044CA8F434C4.jpg

done ...

6A4D3847-7C56-4D04-A7CE-B23441DFFAD1-598-0000044CA2F855F5.jpg

and the latke prep ...

A25F8C1D-DF44-480E-B24C-F1601F274609-598-0000044C95A52558.jpg

cuisinart the shit out of the taters ... and the onions ... and then press out the liquid ...

20A06494-C575-45B4-82F9-D2CC42252365-598-0000044C87FE3E8A.jpg

287D658A-6EC6-4D3D-99C0-FCAF9570E7CA-598-0000044CAEECD4D8.jpg

and mix in the binders ...

ECBDEC0E-4B30-4025-81E2-053ACF245BAD-598-0000044C816B9D74.jpg

and put aside and start the meatballs ...

6CAAF3E2-D806-4AFC-AE89-8FB74A7884EA-598-0000044C7A25FCE7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back