• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! The "Meltdown"

Status
Not open for further replies.
ham, swiss cheese, baguette(??) type bread???   looking good kybrdkid-

and just for the record- CJ's a chula chica ...or is that chica chula????  WHATEVER!!!  Hot Chick!!!  :lol: 

Chicken, Cheese, and Ham Sandwich

This sandwich sounded interesting-so decided to see.

Ingredient List

1 Chicken Breast
Black Forest Ham as required
Swiss Cheese as required
2-3 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons Honey Mustard
Mediterranean Oil as required
Red Pepper Flakes as required. 
Sea Salt
Bread

0. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (up to 500 later)
1. Prepare chicken breast and cut into strips. Season with sea salt.
2. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Place chicken pieces on cookie sheet and drizzle with Mediterranean oil (about 1 Tablespoon.)
3. Place chicken tray in oven and prop the door open (to broil.) Broil for 2-3 minutes.
4. Remove chicken from oven. Turn chicken over. Turn heat up to 500. Broil for another 2-3 minutes until done.
5. Remove chicken tray from oven. Layer Black forest ham over chicken pieces, and top with a layer of Swiss cheese.
6. Return tray to oven to broil for another 1-2 minutes. Remove tray from oven. Season with salt and a bit of oil.
7. Melt butter in microwave. Slice bread in half. On bottom half of bread, coat with 2 tablespoons approx. butter. On top of bread, coat with 2 tablespoons honey mustard.
9. Slice cheese ham chicken on tray down the middle. Layer on bread. Top with some red pepper flakes.

EDIT: Thanks essegi, hopefully ive got right now. Ill be using this post for my entry. Ive got the link to the image album with the PoF in it at the bottom of my post, but if its needed ill post it separately

I feel wierd entering this, its obviously not something youd make any old time. Lasagna itself, for me at least, is a rare treat that lasts for days. Well, sometimes you have to get creative when you eat the same thing several times in a row, and when i saw the challenge was melts and there was still some lasagna in the fridge, creative i got. For your pleasure i submit:

_____New Years Lasagna Melt_____
left over lasagna
zucchini
yellow squash
1/2 onion
3 cloves garlic
2 peach habalokia
1/2 7 pot white
1/3 7 pot bubblegum
allspice
cumin
thyme
salt
white pepper
cheddar cheese
colby jack cheese
parmesan
clarified butter
butter
italian bread heel

1. put the left over lasagna and a little sauce in the oven at 400* for 30 mins
2. come back after 15 minutes and cut up the squash onion, garlic and peppers
3. heat some clarifed butter in the pan on medium and add the veggies
4. crush the allspice and cumin, and add to the veggies along with the salt, pepper and thyme sprigs
5. cover and let steam on low-medium for 10~ minutes, stirring occasionally (i thought at this point the veggies could be a little hotter, so i added about 1/2 tsp of moruga scorpion powder)
6. when the timer is finished turn the oven off but leave the lasagna in there
7. drain off the excess water/butter from the veggies, turn heat on medium-high, continue to fry
8. add parmesan cheese to veggies, toss to coat, continue frying until brown
9. cut the bread open if you havent prepped it already and spread butter on both sides
(pull the lasagna out)
10. layer: colby jack, a little sauce, veggies, cheddar, lasagna, shredded provolone/mozzerella mix (not pictured)
11. Wrap in foil and put in the cooling oven, setting it to 450
12. let it sit for 5 minutes at 450 and then turn the oven off, let sit for another few minutes
13. Take out and enjoy, had enough lasagna and veggies for sides or another sandwich

TPM0jPH.jpg

5OXokGB.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/KI7et for additional pictures

Nice entries!
gourdmaster said:
I feel wierd entering this,
You must use 2 pics... You could use the post i quoted as teaser then choose 2 best pictures for the vote and post again. ;)

The Hot Pepper said:
What's that witchcraft? Call the inquisition!

My teaser:

All ingredients (nearly):

iH0Dkm7BU6EZ6.jpg

Cheese in detail:

Gorgonzola:
iZbmpDAWQnbHV.jpg

Mascarpone:
ibi9TbvvJxnChy.jpg

That stuff is probably second only to butter as fat content... Higher than cream.

Ingredients again with PoL (above i just forgot):
i1Osagg6my8ov.jpg

The chivalry if cheese is not enough:
i1StgBI5PDMsh.jpg

Not too liquid mozz, good for bruschetta and sandwiches...

My line?
  • Gorgonzola and speck is a classic and one of the best combo ever.
  • Gorgonzola and mascarpone is often sold as a standalone cheese. Gorgonzola, mascarpone and walnuts are sold together as standalone food. Costs a lot, i dim that, cheaper and equally good.
  • Mushrooms, gorgonzola and speck is wonderful.
  • Walnuts and mushrooms are good
  • Garlic, gorgonzola, sage and tomato make an awesome sauce.
  • Fire oil, calabrese pepper powder and mozz can't do any harm here.
  • Basically, all ingredients fits each other in all combination...
  • That ciabatta is pure awesomeness...

Twin sons of speck and cheese

THP got the idea and was too good to not use it... 2 bruschette to form a sandwiich,,,

Ingredients (see my considerations in my prevuois post if you want):
  • ciabatta
  • mozzarella
  • mascarpone
  • gorgonzola
  • 6 walnuts
  • mushroom mix
  • speck
  • calabrese pepper powder
  • tomato
  • pepper powered evo oil
  • garlic, 2 cloves
  • sage, 3 leaves
Cooking:

• I double side grilled bread then rubbed sage and garlic, then pepper oil, then tomato. Hot pepper powder above.
  • Heathen cheese (not mascarpone) with pepper powder, sage and garlic remains in a pan.
  • Heathen mushrooms in another pan.
  • Put mascarpone, gorgonzola and crushed wallnuts
  • Put mozzarella
  • Put mushrooms
  • Hot pepper powder while building
  • Cook bruschettas, using double sided grill again (of course without touching toppings wiith top grill)
  • Speck after cooking
  • Build sandwich and enjoy!
Before building: too bad mushrooms are not in clear sight, they were not bad to see...
iif8fkRmDNXin.jpg

Here the slice:
i51afv08KDIcl.jpg

What is hidden: mascarpone effect. If you bite this there's an high chance that inside cream will come out (and is great to taste!).
Nice balance of tastes, very tasty but delicate, crunchy but still soft.

I'll give it my best shot.  

Jay T's Prime Rib Melt

Ingredients:

Prime Rib Roast of beef thinly sliced
Italian Roll
onion
fresno pepper
bacon
olive oil
garlic
sea salt
cracked pepper
fatalii puree
homemade horseradish
gouda cheese
mild cheddar

I made garlic bread out of the Italian roll by dousing it in olive oil, garlic powder, sea salt, and cracked black pepper and putting it under the broiler for a minute.  I fried some bacon.  I sauteed the onion and fresno.  I spread the toasted roll with horseradish on the bottom and fatalii puree on the top, then the bacon a handful of shredded gouda, and thin sliced prime rib.  On top of that went the sauteed (in olive oil sea salt and cracked black pepper) onion and fresno chile.  Next, another heaping handful of gouda.  I put the cheddar on the top of the bun and put it all in the oven at 350F.  After the cheddar started to melt a little I put the top on the bun, brining the cheeses together for the first time.  The result was a sandwich which to me hits all the notes.  The horseradish which is a must for prime rib sammies, the fatalii puree which is my go to for this because it pairs so well, the garlic bread style bun, the sauteed veggies, the melty goodness of the gouda and cheddar, and the awesome thin sliced prime rib.  Does it get any better?  For me the answer is definitely no ti does not...

100_0348.JPG

and with the cheese:

100_0355.JPG

BOOM.

Attachments

• 100_0353.JPG
    100_0353.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 100_0346.JPG
    100_0346.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 100_0333.JPG
    100_0333.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 100_0345.JPG
    100_0345.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 83
  • 100_0347.JPG
    100_0347.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 100_0349.JPG
    100_0349.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 100_0350.JPG
    100_0350.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 100_0351.JPG
    100_0351.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 76
  • 100_0354.JPG
    100_0354.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 76
Essegi said:
Are the  mushrooms the funghi alla brace?  I used to bring back jars of the OrtoCori Funghi alla Brace.... I could eat the whole thing while watching Milan play....

JayT said:
I'll give it my best shot.  

Jay T's Prime Rib Melt
And it's a damn good one indeed. Now it's my turn to say oh crap.. I just like the way thinghs are cut and that bad boy is thick!

Rawkstah said:
Are the  mushrooms the funghi alla brace?  I used to bring back jars of the OrtoCori Funghi alla Brace.... I could eat the whole thing while watching Milan play....
Ah lol you are a Milan fan! I was a bit once, i quitted following soccer...
That aren't alla brace that means at the embers (or simply grilled). Preserved in oil and vinegar... Mixed types. with some porcini...

EDIT:
if it is allowed 2 pics of when i tried to cut that stuff.
Front:
iwS9QQOTkMPyB.jpg

And rear:
itLb5H1j4tlOb.jpg

Mascarpone made that cream... And was good!

And one other of mushrooms:
iPM2QCNdT51MC.jpg

My photography skills are highly lacking, but here we go anyway.

MeatHead's Turporkey melt

Ingredients-
turporkey
extra sharp cheddar cheese-grated
Texas Creek Ghost Fire hot sauce
1 white bhut deseeded and sliced
2 slices bread

Pretty simple. Place sliced turporkey on 1 slice of bread, cover with cheese and sliced white bhut. On the other slice of bread spread a little ghost fire hot sauce. Join together to make a sandwich. Heat a frying pan on medium heat, spray with a little oil, place sandwich in the pan and cook til golden brown. Slice in half and enjoy!

Ingredients-
DSCF0122.JPG

Pretty ordinary plated shot
DSCF0126.JPG

I'm voting for Meathead!!!   :lol:

@ caveman- you can post a series of teaser and prep pics in more than 1 post if necessary, then your final official entry post has the 2 pics and info as required.  See original post and the link to TD rules to make sure all the boxes are checked.  Nice lookins start and welcome to the fray!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back