• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! The "Meltdown"

Status
Not open for further replies.
SoFlo should be up in here killin' this one with Cuban bread, bots, and ooey gooey stringing cheese shots. No show?

Pepper Jack's Mahi Melt

Well this idea came off the top of my head and it was my first time making it, but I'm fairly satisfied with how it turned out. So here we go.

2yw8l4x.jpg

POL^

1 Mahi Mahi Filet
Avocado slices
Onion Slices
2 slices Pepper jack cheese (fun fact: named after me)
1 slice Provolone cheese
Cajun blend of spices
Homemade tarter sauce
1 Lemon
A little butter (to coat the pan)
1 cup cornmeal
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chopped scallions
1 egg
1 cup water

I think I covered it all.

Now the last seven ingredients are a recipe commonly used here in the area to make hush puppies. That's going to be used to make a hush puppy bun!

I buttered a pan, put the filets in and covered them in a family recipe of ours for a Cajun blend of spices.

2zeaxx1.jpg

The fish (unfortunately bought frozen because we are land locked) go in the oven at 300 degrees for 15 minutes. Here they are once they came out:

2zsy0yh.jpg

Now while the fish were cooking I was busy pan frying the hush puppy buns. Totally forgot to take a picture during that process.. They didn't rise as much as I had hoped but they definitely tasted like hush puppies and had a texture like them too. They get slathered down with the homemade tartar sauce.

2a1g11.jpg

Now I put the filets on and layered the cheese on top. It got stuck back into the oven for just long enough to give it the melty gooey god like texture. Pulled it out and topped it with avocado onion and more Cajun powder. Here is the final result:

5b2o9l.jpg

302t1qt.jpg

In hindsight I wish I had broken up the filets instead of only breaking them in half and putting them on whole. I would have liked the hush puppy buns to be thicker as well. All in all I'm happy. It tasted great!

hot pickles, hot cheese, hot sauces (PLURAL!!!  :lol:  ) hot powder, some kind of hot drops (scorpion venom or similar?) .... The Biz has the HOT factor covered!  :lol:

pepperjack, those hushpuppy rolls sound interesting, wish there were more pics of it.  Also, you need to make another post with only 2 pictures. 

edit- COPY the post you just did and remove the extra pics and you're good to go~  ;)

ps- I'm only pinch-hitting for geeme just because she's not on this thread ATM, she'd normally be making sure y'all got all the I's crossed and T's dotted.  :lol:

Blazin' Breakfast Melt!

Ingredients:

Cotswold Cheese (awesome flavor)
Roasted Garlic Cheese Bread
Black Pepper Bacon
Eggs
Shitake Mushrooms
Onion
Jalapeno
Tomato
Hot Pepper Powder
Butter
Salt

Prep:

Fry up some bacon.
Fry up 2 eggs (in said bacon grease).
Sautee onions, peppers, and mushrooms (in the same bacon goodness).
Butter bread and place in a hot pan, place the cheese on each side and start piling on the goodness (salt, pepper, and pepper powder as you like).  When the bread is golden brown, assemble sandwich, remove and plate.  Gonna need a fork for this one :)

*Not only for breakfast* 

995011_714466191905427_848517997_n.jpg

1521861_714465555238824_436944906_n.jpg

OMELETTe MCMUFFIN MELT  WITH THE BIZ:

Ingredients:
1 egg
1/4 red onion
1 tomato
mushrooms of choice
pepperjack cheese
parmesian cheese
colby jack cheese
feta of choice
1 english muffin
hot pepper powder (i used a mix from Jake Seed)
hot sauce of choice i used lucky dog and aleppo from volcanic peppers
and for extra kick i used the "Reaper Essence"unofficialy named, from voodoo salsa and sauces made for Ed Currie 

I started by chopping the veggies up and putting them in an egg ring
20140104_191626.jpg

Then added the egg, powder and "Reaper essence" along with some cheese
20140104_191921.jpg

then assembled with more cheese
20140104_193612.jpg

Attachments

• 20140104_192440.jpg
    20140104_192440.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 59
Pepper Jack's Mahi Melt

Well this idea came off the top of my head and it was my first time making it, but I'm fairly satisfied with how it turned out. So here we go.

1 Mahi Mahi Filet
Avocado slices
Onion Slices
2 slices Pepper jack cheese (fun fact: named after me)
1 slice Provolone cheese
Cajun blend of spices
Homemade tarter sauce
1 Lemon
A little butter (to coat the pan)
1 cup cornmeal
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chopped scallions
1 egg
1 cup water

I think I covered it all.

Now the last seven ingredients are a recipe commonly used here in the area to make hush puppies. That's going to be used to make a hush puppy bun!

I buttered a pan, put the filets in and covered them in a family recipe of ours for a Cajun blend of spices.

The fish (unfortunately bought frozen because we are land locked) go in the oven at 300 degrees for 15 minutes.

Now while the fish were cooking I was busy pan frying the hush puppy buns. Totally forgot to take a picture during that process.. They didn't rise as much as I had hoped but they definitely tasted like hush puppies and had a texture like them too. They get slathered down with the homemade tartar sauce.

Now I put the filets on and layered the cheese on top. It got stuck back into the oven for just long enough to give it the melty gooey god like texture. Pulled it out and topped it with avocado onion and more Cajun powder. Here is the final result:

5b2o9l.jpg

302t1qt.jpg

In hindsight I wish I had broken up the filets instead of only breaking them in half and putting them on whole. I would have liked the hush puppy buns to be thicker as well. All in all I'm happy. It tasted great!

OMELETTe MCMUFFIN MELT  WITH THE BIZ:

Ingredients:
1 egg
1/4 red onion
1 tomato
mushrooms of choice
pepperjack cheese
parmesian cheese
colby jack cheese
feta of choice
1 english muffin
hot pepper powder (i used a mix from Jake Seed)
hot sauce of choice i used lucky dog and aleppo from volcanic peppers
and for extra kick i used the "Reaper Essence"unofficialy named, from voodoo salsa and sauces made for Ed Currie 

Saute the veggies i used an egg ring, add in egg, pepper powder and Reaper Tincture and some cheese.
Toast the english muffin and add hot sauce to both sides along with lots of cheese remove the egg from the pan
and assemble the sandwich quickly cover with a bowl to maximize the melting of the cheese 
Plate and garnish and enjoy ( I did scrape the melted part of one side so you could see the sandwich for what it is, pic purposes only)

20140104_193900.jpg

20140104_193912.jpg

Holy smokes!! Lots of good stuff going on here!!! Might be in on this tomorrow. 
We shall see, just got home from vacay.

Mahi and avocado......awesome!

pepperjack~  you got it!  (just edit out the last "like this?" question. ;)  What you have in your post is what people will see from the voting thread that will be put up when the TD is done. )

Blue Pig Fig Melt

Ingredients

2 slices multigrain bread
1 large handful shredded Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar
3 thick slices of Cambozola cheese (camembert/gorgonzola)
3 slices thick cut bacon
3 heaping tablespoons of fig/onion/red wine jam (recipe below)
1-2 tablespoons of softened butter for the bread

Fig, Onion and Red Wine Jam

1 small onion diced
8-10 figs diced
1 clove of garlic finely chopped
1 red ripe and corked finely chopped jalapeno
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
½ cup red wine
1 tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper

Sweat the onion and garlic in a small sauce pan with some butter.  Add in the figs and jalapeno and continue to cook for another minute or two.  Add in the rice wine vinegar, worcestershire sauce, honey, red wine and s&p.  Let it simmer until the mixture tightens up to a jam like consistency.  Reserve mixture until it’s time to assemble the melt.

Preheat your panini press or other cooking device.  Butter the outside of both pieces of bread with butter.  Stack the goods as follows; bread, shredded cheddar, bacon, jam, cambozola, bread.  Press it until it’s all groovy and golden brown.  Enjoy!

013_zpsa85b18a8.jpg

014_zpsada35319.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back