• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Best rub for brisket

Bark, no bark, smoked, not smoked, German, Texan, pastrami, you can cook brisket however you want.

The Hot Pepper said:
Bark, no bark, smoked, not smoked, German, Texan, pastrami, you can cook brisket however you want.

Absolutely. Sexy briskets guys!

I was just talking about the rub as the OP asked. The boss is absolutely right about sugar. Fat management, smoke, and other treatments play big roles as well.

There are plenty of other ways to get sugar on there for your bark, spritz, mops, jams, mustards ect. The one i showed definitely got sugars at different points (pun intended) but for all that....id have to kill ya!

I agree with playing around. Coffee, peppers, sugars, herbs are all great make a few rubs. You can rub the brisket with one and sample others as you eat. Have fun with it and post some pics!

If you cook brisket with the point, you'll definitely want a bark, for when you cut the burnt ends into cubes. You can't have burnt ends w/o a good bark. It's similar to pulled pork. You want that nice thick bark that pulls apart in pieces. Burnt ends makes good chili, or good little sammies on slider rolls. :)

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Aaron uses more than that... ;) After I win his contest I'll invite you to my house while he cooks :)

Cool, ill do dishes for some slices right now, damn!

Pick me Pick me

From what I understand, you can obtain bark w/o sugar. What matters is removing the surface moisture. I saw a guy do a video on reversing how you cook a thick steak and the idea appears to hold water. Thoughts? (I have never smoked a brisket so there is that...lol)

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4xl7XJM08[/media]

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Aaron uses more than that... ;) After I win his contest I'll invite you to my house while he cooks :)

I was talking about one of those Texas joints.  Kreutz's is'nt it TB?

That's a crust not a bark. Like a crust on a steak. A bark will pull off like tree bark, in pieces. A crust can look the same but not pull off in pieces unless meat is attached. When you cut into it, no bark will lift off or have jagged edges. It will all still be part of the meat. So it's a crust. With bark, the sugar caramelizes (melts) and then solidifies, creating a layer on the meat.

JayT said:
I was talking about one of those Texas joints.  Kreutz's is'nt it TB?
A lot of the TX joints are German and will not use American BBQ methods. Many ways to do brisket. That one sounds German. ;)

Well yes but smoking there is no "sear".

surface moisture plays less of a part with bark in my opinion. You don't want your Q to get a dry surface for the most part as in my experience what you see is what you get. Dry outside, only a matter of time before the internal looks the same.

As far as bark goes i feel like sugar (rub and/or other points), wet rubs like mustard or beef base, and fat play huge parts.

i trim some fat but not much, your gonna trim it again before you eat most likely. I absolutely don't subscribe to the "fat side up bastes the meat while cooking".

Bastes it? it melts and runs off in a very short time. I know I know....   I do brisket fat down to use the fat to protect from the bottom heat of my acorn smoker. I will flip it at the stall because it seems like a good idea, the fat is flavored more at that point and can "baste" all it wants, plus why not open the rig and lose heat flipping it at the start of the stall?

Just my personal thoughts, they will be different next slab!

The beauty of BBQ is we all try different things and they are all the right way to Q!!!

Rub it and smoke it!!! (or don't rub it i don't care)

Holy hijack to a bark discussion :P

PrimeTime said:
I absolutely don't subscribe to the "fat side up bastes the meat while cooking".
Fat cap up or down... sheesh another debate :lol:. I'll do fat cap down... this way you are seasoning the meat not fat on top, where it counts most... so I am with you there.

And I'm not big on sugar with beef, but the bark is great on the point. So if you are separating the brisket, definitely rub the point with a sugar base for burnt ends... but the flat do however you want. Bark is not as important here, since you will be slicing. S&P, sure!

Hello stranger across the pond.  I rub my brisket with the following:

2 tbsp kosher salt
2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp garlic powder (granulated)
1 tbsp onion powder (granulated)
2 tsp thyme
1 tsp oregano
1/4 cup paprika
1/3 cup brown sugar

Pulse everything in a grinder and rub on meat.  Cook rubbed meat till done.  Rest.  Slice.  Bask in the afterglow...

HAHAHA sauce!!!! Now we can all agree NO on that.

By the way. Anyone else here really love burnt ends? The have a bad name... they're not burnt... but I think I like them better than brisket slices... you can cook the point separately with a nice bark, cut it in cubes, and they are heaven! Yes it's harder to control the temp because of the cone shape, but that's why you separate it and make them.

Eat the moist ones on sammies fresh off the smoker. Make chili with the drier ones near the tip. Yes yes yes!

Shudddddddddddup. You make killer brisket.

PS. I did not try your coffee rub, it's the only one I have left in the little packet. I need to try it.

Back