• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Best rub for brisket

My favourite use for brisket is Montreal smoked meat.   

GEDC3801.jpg

Mostly because the leftovers mean I can make killer Ruebens ..   

GEDC3878_zpseb07c11e.jpg

I have tried without success a coupla' times to get at Aaron's 'que.

Bad timing both times.

Jay, Aaron Franklin worked about a year and a half for John Mueller at his first joint. 

Mueller know runs his bbq out of a food trailer and while many say it beats Franklin, many more say that 

Mueller's is not what it used to be and Franklin kicks bbq ass. 

And not only Texan's think so. 

Up to know my favorite joint has been Black's in Lockhart. 

That's where the local's go.

I heard Kruez is good as is Smitty's but they get a shit-ton(official SoFlo measurement) of tourists.

Sooner or later I'll get to Franklin to be sure.

Black's is the best brisket I ever ate.

Most if not all the best beef bbq I've eaten has been rubbed with salt and pepper only.

I just might have to fire up the smoker this next week.

I'm having a meat resurgence.

I'm all about letting the meat shine but on THP you gotta figure most of us are putting peppers in any rub. S&P with some kick sounds good to me, for bare bones. If I were to add ONE spice it'd be coriander. There's a reason it's used in pastrami rub. Just goes so well with the beef. And pastrami is brisket. But I like a nice flavor profile to the rubs. Like I said, a little mustard powder, garlic, onion... a smalllllllll touch of sugar as a bark binder. You really can't go wrong with that.

Rub doesn't flavor meat. Just coats it. Like a nice prime rib... that outer layer... mmm. Garlic, onion, etc.

Let us know what you do! It's all up to you. You won't hurt the brisket with the rub... concentrate more on the cook to get it tender.

The Hot Pepper said:
You won't hurt the brisket with the rub... concentrate more on the cook to get it tender.

+1000

A good meat thermometer is mandatory.

Throw the timer in the trash.

And rest that meat when its done.

Preferably wrapped in a cooler for at least an hour.

After that just enjoy all that smoked meat juicinessessess.

And good bbq needs no sauce.

But it ain't a bad 'thang.

Serve it how you like it and screw other peep's opinions.

One of the first things I will make with my Kamado Grill will be a brisket. Those look amazing !!!

filmost said:
From what I understand, you can obtain bark w/o sugar. What matters is removing the surface moisture. I saw a guy do a video on reversing how you cook a thick steak and the idea appears to hold water. Thoughts? (I have never smoked a brisket so there is that...lol)

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4xl7XJM08[/media]
I will give this method a try. I always sear first and then in the oven for 8-10 minutes @ 550*

JHP is correct.

Seared crust = not bark

Only smoking can give you a bark.

And I don't mean that 63 year old 2 pack a day Marlboro smokin' hag sittin' at the end of the bar who sounds like Bon Scott.

Bailey said:
So do you guys apply the rub and leave over night or put it straight on the grill?

I inject then rub and leave out for about an hour while the pit gets going.

You can rub it way ahead of time but as thp said it won't penetrate the to well so why bother.

New to the forum, so late to the thread, but just had to throw in my 2 cents worth anyway. Joyner is giving good advice here. I like the rub suggested, but personally would delete the sugars.

Do rub the night before and wrap with Saran or Handy wrap and place in the fridge.

Pull it out the next morning* and allow it to come to room temperature before placing in the smoker. Place the brisket fat side up so it will baste the meat as the fat melts.

For the first hour in the heated smoker, open vents wide open but don't start the smoke just yet. This will alow the surface of the meat to dry out so it will accept the smoke and eventually give the meat the nice red smoke ring. (Nothing worse than a wet smoke flavor)

Use hardwoods to smoke such as hickory, oak, and/or pecan. Soak the wood in water at least 12 hours ahead of time. Use big chunks of wood, not little chips. Never use green wood, always wood dried 6 months up to 2 years.

Either make a mop sauce or spritz the meat with apple cider and/or apple juice once an hour.

Try to maintain the heat at about 225. Have a plan to start more charcoal in a seperate grill as the hours roll by so you can add them to the pit once they are ashen and as needed to maintain temps, along with more damp smoking wood.

Plan on the meat to take 10 to 12 hours before it's fall apart ready. Which leads to the * above. If you plan to serve at 17:00 hours, you will need to put the meat on the pit by 5:00am at the latest and that's after it's set out of the fridge for an hour or two to come to room temp. Also don't forget the meat will need to rest for 30 minutes before slicing. You might want to start the night before and catch a couple hours of sleep once the pit is up and smoking well. The brisket can always be placed in a foil pan and covered with foil and placed on the cooler end of the pit or in a very low oven the last couple hours to keep warm until dinner time. Just take care not to overcook it and dry it out. Baste, baste, and baste some more.

Good luck!

JayT said:
I happen to know that the most awarded brisket shop in the world uses nothing but salt and pepper...
A buddy of mine used to manage the Salt Lick BBQ near Austin. I mentioned to him one day that I really liked their rub, so he wrote out the recipe for me. There were so many spices listed, and some in such small amounts, I would have had to mix 20 lbs of rub to keep everything in proportion! Yep, he laughed. So much for that plan.

Reactions: SL3
The Hot Pepper said:
By the way. Anyone else here really love burnt ends? The have a bad name... they're not burnt... but I think I like them better than brisket slices...
i would have to give a big AGREED here....the burnt ends dont last long around here...me and my wife usually fight over them...once they are gone we settle for the brisket slices...haha

and btw guys..your rubs sound amazing...i usually just grab some premade whatever on shelf at walmart :/

i need to venture into making my own.

Here's a good rub.   Figure using  @1/2- 3/4 teaspoon per pound of meat or to your taste:  Recipe is in Tablespoons.  You can make it in Cups if you desire, the ratios stays the same.
 ​
[SIZE=18pt]PAPRIKA                  4 tb[/SIZE]
 ​
[SIZE=18pt]SWEET BASIL          ½tb[/SIZE]
 ​
[SIZE=18pt]OREGANO               ½tb[/SIZE]
 ​
[SIZE=18pt]THYME                     ½tb[/SIZE]
 ​
[SIZE=18pt]ONION PDR.             1tb[/SIZE]
 ​
[SIZE=18pt]GARLIC PDR.           1tb[/SIZE]
 ​
[SIZE=18pt]  SALT                       2tb[/SIZE]
 ​
[SIZE=18pt]BLACK PEPPER       ½tb[/SIZE]
 ​
[SIZE=18pt]WHITE PEPPER       1tb[/SIZE]
 ​
[SIZE=18pt]CAYENNE PEPPER  1&1/2 tb[/SIZE]

We do'em classic Texas style just like Franklins
50/50 Sea Salt and Black pepper
250* Low and Slow for 10hrs,wrap and 1hr back on heat,rest for at least 45 to settle before slicing

If you want a "commercial" try something from sucklebusters.  I'm not pro but here is my take, just like toilet paper its good for something.

I've smoked hundreds of briskets, had plenty that were praised by all that ate and just as many that went into the cowboy beans.  I've cooked them with only salt and pepper, my own rub, prepared rub and even coated in mayonnaise.  Yes the mayo was a technique I got from another cooker to keep it moist and add a nice bark.  I even have a family member that has several competition wins under his belt and his secret involves a salad dressing.  What I'm saying is that good brisket has many flavors and what I personally look for is tender meat that doesn't fall apart, isn't grey like a roast or tough like fajitas with all the fat rendered out.  I cook solely on temps, time is a gauge but every brisket is different and going off of time will screw you more times that not.  A 12lb brisket with a flat that is 1.5 inches thick will cook a lot faster than a 9lb with a 2.5 inch flat.

Cooking styles come and go, slow and low or hot and fast doesn't really matter as long as the end product is what you want.  I've eaten at just about every BBQ joint in central Texas, including Franklins.  To me its not worth the wait, that doesn't mean its not good that means I can go to Snows, eat and be back in less time :)  A few slices of brisket and some ribs from my offset.  I do eat sauce with my BBQ, not because it needs it but because surgery on my stomach forces me to.  Had to point that out before the other Texas people shoot me :)

IMG_4509.jpg
IMG_4523.jpg

IMG_4501.jpg

Oh and I have no affiliation with sucklebusters whatsoever.  I tried it after seeing a friend use it and it was really close to what I was spending a lot of time mixing myself so I started using it.  I can pick it up locally when in a pinch and use it on just about all my BBQ now.  I did a pork butt awhile back and used hog waller and it it was amazing.  This was my first attempt at a bone in butt using pecan.

20130704_111418_zpsdeb9892b.jpg
20130704_181724_zps8b7cbf48.jpg
20130608_160817_zpsdadf317c.jpg

Back