• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Best rub for brisket

My favourite must use rub is:

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder

This will make approx. 3 cups and you can modify to suit!!

I use this on pork and beef and it goes well with both.....

My mother even steals it to rub on chicken sometimes.

I use this this is for a 3 1/2lb brisket it goes quite quite far. Can easily be doubled for larger briskets :
2    teaspoons  seasoned salt
1    teaspoon  paprika
1    teaspoon  chili powder
1    teaspoon  garlic pepper
1/2 teaspoon  ground cumin

and I make a spicy beer sauce with for a sidecar. Its great on Kaiser rolls or Martins Potato rolls I never seem to make it to a roll. 

JayT said:
Methinks I need to smoke a brisket again...  that butt looks great too.
Ditto I am SO in the mood for it

The trick to Franklins is calling ahead the day before with your meat order
Walk past the line and pay,leave with the meats :)

I can do them as good as he can so its not often I pay his price,its a novelty for visiting friends
that have the need to check a notable Q joint off their list.
Cooking simple meat with awesome sauce is the ticket in Texas. ;)

TNKS said:
You mean sauce after it's cooked, right? Just checking.

TNKS said:
The trick to Franklins is calling ahead the day before with your meat order
Walk past the line and pay,leave with the meats :)

I can do them as good as he can so its not often I pay his price,its a novelty for visiting friends
that have the need to check a notable Q joint off their list.
Agreed, last time I checked the brisket was almost $20 a lb, that's like giraffe tail high for me but he might as well get it.  I smoked a 12.5lb packer this week, $2.78 a lb.  which still makes me think of my first brisket which was .49 per lb. from HEB.  Coming from a family that raises cattle makes you understand who is literally getting their cut.  Maybe Obama should have call ahead for a pickup :)

The Hot Pepper said:
You mean sauce after it's cooked, right? Just checking.
I use to not put sauce on brisket, I'd take the drippings from the wrap and simply dunk my slices in it if needed a little brisket Au Jus.  I'm still under the no sauce and the only side is chicken but the family always wants beans so I make them a version of "cowboy" beans with burnt ends.  I still like to use a vinegar based sauce on beef and pork and it looks like this, so normally I'm the only one that eats it.

On the rub note, try Turbinado if you get a chance to make your own rub.  Sorry not to whore the thread up but I like BBQ discussions :)

20140801_170227_zps12cscpmm.jpg

Yes sauce is always on the side and if made correctly it will complement the cooked meat
Chicken parts,chops and ribs are my sauce/cook limit.

Brisket,Shoulders/Butts are cooked sauce/rub free
I use post oak,pecan and rarely ever mesquite 
Did a most wicked good meatloaf today and thick glazed it with a smoked ghost/smoked tomato brew.

Back