• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bhuter 2019

Well, hello everybody! Thank you for stopping by! I'm sorry I'm late to the show. It takes me a long while to get started on anything. I've decided to cut down on varieties and just grow what I know I like, and have more plants of those. I'll be adding a few more as they hook. As of right now, here's what's growin':

2019 Growlist

Purple Flower BBG Orange
Antep Aci Dolma (Devv)
Aji Oro (TGCM)
Fluorescent Yellow Superhot ?? WHP
Black Congo (PL)
Cluster BBG (Buckeye)
Red BBG7 (Ocho Cinco 2014)
Bishop's Crown
Brown Moruga (PL)
Peach Bhut (Genetikx)
SB7J (Pex Peppers 2014)
Black Naga x Peri-Peri F3 (Mine)
Pumpkin Bubblegum (Ford's)
7 Pot Cinder Caramel F4 (My seeds and Mojo's seeds. Also have F2 clone overwinter)

Not very far along...but getting there!

SB7J
pZoFV00.jpg

Cinder F4
dIRl9T0.jpg

The whole gang
9ngQYtX.jpg

Hey Adam,

Since these are F2 plants then it is possible to get green plants this generation.  I'm guessing the purple is the dominate trait, so all F1 plants should be purple. In the F2 generation then 1/4 of the plants should be green (homozygous for the green gene), 1/4 should be homozygous for purple and 1/2 the plants should be heterozygous for the purple gene. Those are the odds done by math, not always what should happen. A better way to get those odds is to grow 100 plants in the F2 generation.  This also assumes that there is only one gene which causes the purple plants.

The F2 generation is when things start recombining.

No way to tell by the phenotype which of the purple will only have purple plants in the next generation, and which would have some green in the next generation.

Sorry to be so pedantic.  Genetics has been I hobby of mine since grade school.
Bhuter said:
Hey, Pugs!
The PDN x Caramel was a cross I made in 2017, so last year was F1 pods with F2 seeds inside. If I labeled a pod as F2 last year, I screwed up. It's definitely only an F2 plant this year. But yes! A beautiful plant! Nice and dark with pods that ripen from Purple to green to yellow to orange and finally finishing red. The color changes are especially pronounced in cooler temps.

A green one? I wonder if that one seed is crossed. The way I understand it is every seed happens from a separate pollination event. So that one seed could be the only crossed one. ‍♂️

Orekoc said:
Hey Adam,

Since these are F2 plants then it is possible to get green plants this generation.  I'm guessing the purple is the dominate trait, so all F1 plants should be purple. In the F2 generation then 1/4 of the plants should be green (homozygous for the green gene), 1/4 should be homozygous for purple and 1/2 the plants should be heterozygous for the purple gene. Those are the odds done by math, not always what should happen. A better way to get those odds is to grow 100 plants in the F2 generation.  This also assumes that there is only one gene which causes the purple plants.

The F2 generation is when things start recombining.

No way to tell by the phenotype which of the purple will only have purple plants in the next generation, and which would have some green in the next generation.

Sorry to be so pedantic.  Genetics has been I hobby of mine since grade school.

That's absolutely fine because I need to know that stuff. I should have grown F2 this year because I'm pretty sure I isolated a pod or two last year. I could send you some of those isolated seeds if you want any, Pugs. Yes, it'll be a year behind if you start some next season, but it'll be isolated. Lol

Bhuter said:
Hey, Brandon! Thank you very much!!! Wow, that IS crazy because...I thought you only mentioned the Cinder to me BECAUSE it was mine. Lol. Yeah, I got Madballz seeds from 96Strat in 2014 (actually it was a pod and I still have a frozen one). Lol. I grew it in 2015 along with BBM I got from Troy Primeaux. The Madballz was Rust/Caramel color. The two pods in the middle are from that Father Madballz plant in 2015. The other two are chocolate and red BBG7.
GOAzqda.jpg

I was hoping for Caramel the whole time and was lucky enough to get it on F2. I still have an overwintered clone of that F2 plant. Which reminds me. The Cinder seeds you have are actually a generation ahead of what they're labeled. I sent Justin F2 & F3 pods...making the seeds F3 & F4. So if you have F3, they're actually F4. A miscommunication between us.

Anyway...do you still have those original SB7J seeds from Patrick? I have more of the atomic pheno, and I think he had the Grass Hut pheno. I don't know, though.

I can send you some Madballz seeds from either the seeds I grew that father from or seeds from those pods in the pic, or both, if you want. I have seeds from all generations of the cinder, too. We'll get a trade going later in the year...or whenever. Lol.

The caramel version is a lot milder than the F1 Chocolates. PeterS told me he got "Face-Raped" by that F1. Lol.
Thanks again!

EDIT: Oh, I also notice that Cinders tend to take a week or so longer to germinate. That's how I end up with so many plants. I start 4...they don't germ...I start 4 more...then the first 4 germ. Lol. They just need a little more time. And they're smaller seeds IMO. And you meant Patrick sent you Madballz seeds, not SB7J, right? I misread that.

Ok so I originally had to come back and share this craziness!! Right after I got done writing you I thought to myself... You know what I haven't checked the germ box yet today...

EwtGgMu.jpg

:shocked:

I'm sorry waaaay too much of a coincidence!  :party:  :dance:  :party:

Too freaking crazy! Only sprout in the whole box too! Lol

And to your reply!

Man that is too cool I'm loving all this information! I love hearing the back stories and history on strains! Also great news on the generations that would mean I do indeed have an F4! Dude I wish I had those SB7J seeds, you are correct they were the grass huts. I literally lost all of my seeds during the move  :banghead:  I probably had a good 300+ variety collection of supers alone, I'm still trying to get over it! Its good to see people are still growing some of these older species I would have been devastated if they're wasn't a way to replace some of them, like that 7Madballz. I've seen some on websites that claim they're Madballz but it doesn't quite look like the real deal to me so I've passed. That picture you posted is a beautiful shot! Real Mccoy right there. F1 chocolate cinders eh  :eek:  you wouldn't by any chance have a picture of one of those babies would you? 

Thanks a million for the seed offers that is too kind, that made my day. Now I'm day dreaming about next season already! Lol. I will grow my ass off in search of a pepper worthy enough of a madballz trade this season mark my words! lol. Thanks again Adam.  :cheers:  to the cinder sprout!!

Bhuter said:
Found 'em! And hooray for Annuums! I might still have time for these this year. 60-75 days sounds better than 120+. Lol. I bought them last fall and lost 'em. Found 'em in the dust.
gAlHCkz.jpg

8PHoywf.jpg

If anybody else wants to give em a whirl this season, let me know. I'll be glad to pass some along. Maybe 5 seeds to each person.
Looking good, pepperoncinis are always tasty. Ill be watching to see how these turn out bud

BigCedar said:

Ok so I originally had to come back and share this craziness!! Right after I got done writing you I thought to myself... You know what I haven't checked the germ box yet today...

EwtGgMu.jpg

And to your reply!

Man that is too cool I'm loving all this information! I love hearing the back stories and history on strains! Also great news on the generations that would mean I do indeed have an F4! Dude I wish I had those SB7J seeds, you are correct they were the grass huts. I literally lost all of my seeds during the move  :banghead:  I probably had a good 300+ variety collection of supers alone, I'm still trying to get over it! Its good to see people are still growing some of these older species I would have been devastated if they're wasn't a way to replace some of them, like that 7Madballz. I've seen some on websites that claim they're Madballz but it doesn't quite look like the real deal to me so I've passed. That picture you posted is a beautiful shot! Real Mccoy right there. F1 chocolate cinders eh  :eek:  you wouldn't by any chance have a picture of one of those babies would you? 

Thanks a million for the seed offers that is too kind, that made my day. Now I'm day dreaming about next season already! Lol. I will grow my ass off in search of a pepper worthy enough of a madballz trade this season mark my words! lol. Thanks again Adam.  :cheers:  to the cinder sprout!!
:rofl: HA! That IS craziness! What timing! Lol. I'll dig up some pics of F1, but here's that review of F1 from PeterS...I don't know how to embed these vids.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HJLKTonjIu0

Pretty brutal. Lol.

Thanks again, Brandon! You're making my day!

BigCedar said:

EwtGgMu.jpg

And to your reply!

BBM x Madballz F1 2016
NLOxBYH.jpg

Y4P0oTK.jpg

UY9iZbL.jpg

Pretty placenta-laden.
ohOscXa.jpg

Of course, I chose the color over the heat. Lol. I'm sure those F1 seeds are just as mean. The 2nd pic are pods from the plant I isolated and grew from. It was the only plant with pods that had the "pushed-up" bottom and lobed outside.

EDIT: I didn't even think about it...I made a thread that first year.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/61196-big-black-mama-x-caramel-7-pot-madballz-f1/?p=1340887

Speaking of this variety...
I just heard back from Neil & Charlotte at THSC (The Hippy Seed Company) down there in OZ (AUS) after asking if THEY'D be interested in checking out the Cinder. Here's what they said:

XoeDrc7.png

Woohoo! I'm pretty stoked!

Bhuter said:
Yabba dabba doo.

Oh look at that...snow. Just an inch, but...snow.
Yeah, it's headed here tomorrow night. They keep lowering the expected lows. It's down to 36 for Sunday night here, along with wind. I keep hoping for that warm up, but it's not totally unexpected. Our last chance of frost is May 7-15.

It's those crazy swings in conditions I can't deal with. I suppose it's the "New Normal."

SmartSelect_20190427-104604_Chrome.jpg

I am no chef by any stretch of the imagination. No fancy ingredients, here. Just a lazy guy who wants chili. Lol. Any vegetarians out there? I'm not one, but I'm also not a huge carnivore. I've been dying to make some chili. I got everything I needed and today is the day. Well, not EVERYTHING...the burger I thought we had, had vanished. Sooooo, I guess we're going meatless! Whatever. It's the veggies I dig, anyway.

Light and dark kidney beans
Cannellini beans
Pinto beans
Chili beans
Green pepper
Mild green chiles
Sweet Vadalia onion
Jalapeño
French's Chili-O seasoning (My Grandma always used that)
V8 instead of tomato juice
And for heat and hot pepper Flavor
Black Naga x Peri-Peri brown frozen pods. 15 of those tiny guys.

VtAYaqc.jpg

ld50szu.jpg

7YbRZcp.jpg

I kinda wanna make a sauce out of these guys...but I'd have to learn how. Lol.
2Ic4XMY.jpg

Simmer, Simmer!

dragonsfire said:
Looks great. White beans are realy good for general purpose protein. The great White North Beans when blitzed add like cream texture to a soup, no need to add butter.
Thanks! I DO like great northern beans and I get exactly what you're saying. I pretty much like all beans except Garbanzo. To me, their consistency is more like a nut than a bean....crumbly.

My daughter just sent me a pic from the gender reveal she had for her first baby...my first grandchild.
FW6yVpA.jpg

It's a boy!!! Zachary. And I commended her on the spelling. Lol. Hooray!

I'm just bored and I feel like posting. Does anybody have any Scotch Bonnet Brown seeds from PepperLover? A friend ordered me a packet from Judy many years ago, but the rest I have are all crushed...from when I received them. I grew it out once and loved it! But I didn't save seeds cuz I thought I had more. The texture was strange on them. Chewing on them was kinda "fibrous" and the feel to the touch was "leathery". Strange. It had some monster pods, though...and plenty of them...but needed extra calcium. This weight is in ounces.

0sgNT7s.jpg

I'd love to give this variety another shot. Please let me know if you feel like tradin'.

You might be thinking: '2 bucks, dude. Order em yourself.' lol. No digital currency, here. It's a PITA not to have a credit card and a bigger pain to load cards with cash ...if you can find a place. ‍♂️

Thanks, everyone!

Bhuter said:
Thanks! I DO like great northern beans and I get exactly what you're saying. I pretty much like all beans except Garbanzo. To me, their consistency is more like a nut than a bean....crumbly.

My daughter just sent me a pic from the gender reveal she had for her first baby...my first grandchild.
FW6yVpA.jpg

It's a boy!!! Zachary. And I commended her on the spelling. [emoji3166] Lol. Hooray!
Congrats on having a grandson, and the spelling is how my son’s name is spelled [emoji106].
I second, the white northern beans [emoji16][emoji106].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaneDog said:
Yeah, don't I wish! 

FWIW I thought the days to maturity was from transplant to ripe fruit.

-That is my understanding as well, CD.

nmlarson said:
Yeah, it's headed here tomorrow night. They keep lowering the expected lows. It's down to 36 for Sunday night here, along with wind. I keep hoping for that warm up, but it's not totally unexpected. Our last chance of frost is May 7-15.It's those crazy swings in conditions I can't deal with. I suppose it's the "New Normal."
I am afraid you are right. The pits, alright.

We are looking at five nights in a row with temps in mid thirties.
Barf. And it has been breezy, so plants getting some hardon off
time are getting batted around. I want to live in perpetual 75 and
sunny weather. With a 2mph breeze.

PaulG said:

-That is my understanding as well, CD.

Thank you, Paul for confirming maturation time specifics. Lol.

I want to live in perpetual 75 and
sunny weather. With a 2mph breeze.
Santa Barbara, CA would be a good place to start/finish. Lol. Relax, stay warm, and keep dry in 76°F, 30% humidity, with zero potential for rain. Lol. Would you like it? Or would you miss the seasons? I would miss the seasons for one year. Then...I'm over it. No leaf raking, snow shoveling, or window scraping...and best of all (for me), no drastic weather changes where ppl live their lives according to "...permitting weather". Meaning no spring cleaning long before I'm ready. Lol

At least the sun is still working.

Back