• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Blues, Booze & BBQ

Simmer down. I still have another hour of rehearsal and only then can I begin to quaff brewhaha's and THEN start some heavy petting with rubs on salmon and duck breasts. The flying v awaits my tender touch......gotta' split...

The Blues Kitchen kicked off the mayhem most hot blue and righteous last night. I got some AK Copper river silver from the local grocer down the street and some very nice duck breasts from the local hippy joint. The beer was chilled and the blues was HOT!

One of my all time favorites, the late, great bluesman, Mr. Albert King. Don't get no bigger than this...

I started with a rub of brown sugar, kosher salt, hungarian paprika, granulated garlic and my own crushed pequin powder.

IMG_2624.jpg

Just look at these beauties! Since these are going in the smoker, I'll be leaving all the fat on to keep the quackers moist and also to render the drippings in a pan for later use.

IMG_2628.jpg

Got the breasts scored on the fat side and then did some heavy petting on them with the rub.

IMG_2632.jpg

On to the coho....ain't it 'purty?

IMG_2633.jpg

Ya'll know I love me some salmon....this is gonna' be guuud!

IMG_2635.jpg

Got some 'thangs to do today so I'll be firing up the UDS aroun 1600 hours dry ditch time.

Cheers ya'll!

hmmmph. Why is it always my turn for poop patrol out in the back yard? While I'm out there I might as well start el fumadero...

Duck breast goin' in!

After sitting in the rub for 24 hours. Look at all the water the salt pulled out!

IMG_2636.jpg

Got the water pans to catch ducky drippings and to keep them moist. Got the UDS at about 275 now and will drop it down to 225 or so in 1/2 an hour.

Have mercy!

IMG_2638.jpg

Cocktail time now ya'll!

hehe...I pity the fool that overserved me last night. Anywhoo....here's the lovin'. The duck was absolutely incredible. I cut it up and ate a heap of it right off the board. No sauce. Naked.

IMG_2643.jpg

Perfect!

IMG_2650.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

I ate so much of the duck I didn't even get to try the salmon...but you know..

Have mercy!

IMG_2653.jpg

IMG_2655.jpg

Smoked salmon taco's for brekkie today!!

Looking great TB. Gimme some of that duck! As a penance for not posting the piccys last night we will need some of those salmon taco pics.

Back