• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Boomas BBQ

Cooking with Fire, gets a whole lot more attention, this thread is going to get regular updates on all things BBQ.

As some are aware i got a custom built pit/smoker last year and am slowly getting my head around this whole style of cooking. Lots of fun!!

Soon there will be a new toy to add to the outdoor kitchen, hopefully sooner than later............

Still after as much feedback as possible, always trying to improve.

So to start this off, Brisket cooked yesterday for about 9-10 hrs, then wrapped and rested in an Esky for 2-3 hours. Brisket was sprinkled with a plain old mix of salt and pepper.

Pork ribs done 3-2-1 method with a dry rub

DSC00990.JPG

DSC00991.JPG

DSC00992.JPG

DSC00993.JPG

LUCKYDOG said:
Looks awesome Booma - Ive never smoked salmon will have to give a try soon, Did you have a rub or marinade them first and I LOVE pulled chicken

Hey LD, those slamon had the quickest marinade in soy and honey. Not enough time, usually i marinate overnight in the same sort of mix

and TB, ever since you posted your smoked salmon, way back when.... i have been hooked

Booma said:

Hey LD, those slamon had the quickest marinade in soy and honey. Not enough time, usually i marinate overnight in the same sort of mix

and TB, ever since you posted your smoked salmon, way back when.... i have been hooked

You're making me verklempt.

And I am honored to have been influential.

But I may have only put the notion in yer' noggin'.

You ran with it and made it yours.

And from the salmon you just posted from what I can tell..

I got nuthin' on you.

You rock that sheeit!

HigherThisHeat said:
Them salmon look so good. Do you all smoke the salmon at the 225 degree range, or is it lower for fish?

In the electric smoker I use its probably a few degrees less than that.

Maybe 210.

If I smoke during summer on the back porch probably closer to 250.

If I use my UDS it doesn't matter what time of year.

I can run it at any smoke temp I want.

225 would be fine for salmon.

With wood, maintaining an even temp is more important than the desired temp. It can be 205, 215, 225, even 250, but if you can keep it there, great. You get into more problems when you have 200, and then 240 5 minutes later. You'll never be able to time anything and you'll have uneven cooking, uneven distribution of fats, etc. Electric, of course, is set it and forget it, so pick your optimal temp.

THP I don't know how you know what you know but its right on.

Even temp throughout the smoke is without question the ideal.

I hear tell that many central Texas and hill country bbq joints actually run a hotter smoke, even up to 325 in some cases.

But the common theme in all que's is consistency.

Fish, pork, beef, chicken, just keep it rock steady.

Yeah your right THP, with my pit I aim for somewhere in between that range, let it settle, adjust damper if necessary, wait, then start cooking.

Once the heat has stabilised it just hymns along for hours at the one temp pretty much

I've only used it once in the past year, I think, actually ...

that said, it really drives home the point re: consistent temperatures and cooking meat ...

Funnily enough I have seen it taking off especially for that perfect steak, sous vide then seared.

So tonight I'm going to try the Reverse Seared method with a nice Rib Eye.

grantmichaels said:
I might have mentioned before that my sous vide keeps to within a degree, I'm not sure <g>

LOL.

jajajaja...Boom beat me to it.

Big G I love you man but Texan's are prejudice agin' sous vide.

Not that it ain't good eats.

We're just stuck in our ways I reckon.

I'd get run outta' town if I served up a sous vide steak.

Wait.

Boom just posted.

What?

You too?

Reverse seared in the smoker, going to go for an hour or so at 225, then onto the charcoal grill for a sear at lava heat level

In all honesty, it's just a tool like any other ... it can't be your only tool, though, or it's Maslow's Hammer ...

I prefer roadside BBQ to sous vide any day ...

In all honesty I really can't give shit to anyone about sous vide, bbq, or any dern 'thang.

Ever body knows some of the crap I've posted.

Big G I'll eat your sous vid steak any time.

Boom I get you now on the reverse sear.

Smoke and then crusted.

Nice.

I don't think I've ever had a smoked steak, or wanted one. I'd try it though, and probably like it. I imagine it has to be super thick, like 2"? Enough for a nice smoke ring, and to keep it from leathering up, juicy center. Let us in on the secrets please. With pics!

this pic is awesome
post-5801-0-71292100-1396239183.jpg

man im loving this grub a dub dub. 

salmon looks great and the bird is divine ready to shine.

and to think i thought smoking down under went something like this. "booma youve got to add more gasoline mate!"
t1larg-bad-grill.jpg

explosion-in-houses2.jpg

Ahahahahahahahaha.

Gas on the barbie!

That's how it went before he discovered AMERICAN-style BBQ!!!! ;) :lol:

Back