• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2019 Hirsute Pursuit – Rocotos, Wilds & Moar

So, here's the new glog for the coming season.  With the indoor grow culled pretty hard now I can focus more on getting ready for what's ahead.  Hoping for a great year, but I’m already a bit behind - the germinators are packed right now and I've still got a round of annuum seeds waiting for their turn.  I guess it wouldn’t feel much like pepper growing though if everything were going perfect.

My focus was going to be rocotos with a side of bonnets and some other stuff, but I found I kept planting more and more wilds. Eventually I just kinda went all-in with them and they took on co-main event status. 

I’ll start things off with some pics of some of the earlier pube’s.  There’s not too many at this point. Unfortunately, the vast majority just went into germination.

First off, Costa Rica Red.  This is the CRR with flattened triangular pods.  I also have an OW CRR that’s a 3-4 lobed “boxy” variety.  I didn't get true seeds off this one last summer, so I have a few of these growing and crossing my fingers they grow true.
20190305%20CRR%20(P)-R.jpg

Rocoto DeSeda.  These guys were from a bush I’d OW’d a few years in a row, but it didn’t make it through this winter
20190305%20DeSeda-R.jpg

Rocoto San Camillo
20190305%20SanCamillo-R.jpg

Gelbe Reisen Variant.  These are from true seeds off a plant I’ve been growing for a few years that was supposed to be Gelbe Riesen, but the pods are more orange vs yellow, rounder/less boxy, and just a touch smaller. I don’t know if it’s a natural variation or it might have crossed with a Costa Rica Orange, but it's a great plant. I have a few of these started and am curious what comes of them.
20190305%20GRV-R.jpg

Giant Yellow Rocoto.  Suppose I should pinch that bud off.
20190305%20GYellow-R.jpg

Recently hatched Gelbe Riesen sprouts (the parent plant has been a beast for me for a while now) and CAP 217 Hyper-Pube.
20190305%20Hyper&Gelbe-R.jpg

That’s it for the rocotos for now.  Will try to post up some pics of the early wilds in a little bit. 

CD

Mildfruit said:
Very cool varieties! Im especially going to follow your Cardenasii pair :D I Couldn't get seeds for that this year, and coupled with if I did, I had to grow two. So im settling for watching your Cadenasii's grow instead. Good luck  :dance:
Thanks MF.  I know your grow spots are limited and valuable commodities, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing you growing some of the fuzzy stuff.  Digging what you have going now though!

Way to snag that first PT too by the way!

Very impressive Canedog, your varieties are awesome and really unique (to me at least ;)), and it's clear you're off to an awesome start! Hoping that's made the culling of your indoor grow a bit more bearable! All those plants are looking mighty happy :)

I'll for sure be following closely! Do you still have your BOC going?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

lespaulde said:
Very impressive Canedog, your varieties are awesome and really unique (to me at least ;)), and it's clear you're off to an awesome start! Hoping that's made the culling of your indoor grow a bit more bearable! All those plants are looking mighty happy :)

I'll for sure be following closely! Do you still have your BOC going?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Thanks LP.  I do, but I gave up on trying to get it to produce inside and just cut it back about a week ago. It was the most finicky plant of indoor season for me and just never got happy.  I tried some things and eventually changed it from T5HO to the HLG where it was starting to do better and set a couple/few pods, but it never took off. Lots of too-small leaves in the canopy and lots of too-small blooms. 

It's a good base though and I plan to put it outside in 2 months and let nature do the baby-sitting for me.  Hopefully it thrives there because it was one of the pods I was most looking forward to.  Also have a BOC AK sprout growing right now tom improve my odds.  Really want to pull some pods of this.

Did you ever get any of your BOC Sweetbites to sprout for you or plant another round of seeds?  I know the success rates of chinense/annuum aren't super high, but it would be really cool to see that one come through.

Had to do a little surgery on the last of the 5 Flex PI that popped together. The seed coat was stuck on tight all the way around and it didn't look good, but the procedure ended up going well.  Really well!  Of course it does though when I have plenty of back-up seedlings...

I just snipped the extreme edge of the coat in three places around the top/sides and covered the cup for humidity and this morning the cotyledons had pushed their way up and out, all three of them!  Don't remember cutting a seed coat off a tri-cot before and to have avoided damaging any of them is a miracle I can't imagine I'll ever repeat.

20190307%20FlexPI_TriCoatC.jpg

20190307%20FlexPI_TriCoat3.jpg

and here's a shot of it's older sibling
20190307%20FlexPI_TriCUC.jpg

CaneDog said:

20190307_MacGyver.jpg

Best post I have seen in a bit.

Try taking the seed hull off of a species that you only have 3 seeds for and only one sprouted. One that you have been hunting for over 5 years. lol Sweaty pits,then you step back and realize you haven't taken a breath in  a couple minutes. 

Nice project you have going this year. There are some very rewarding plants in this thread. Give that cardenasii a little tickle and then sniff it.

Pr0digal_son said:

Best post I have seen in a bit.

Try taking the seed hull off of a species that you only have 3 seeds for and only one sprouted. One that you have been hunting for over 5 years. lol Sweaty pits,then you step back and realize you haven't taken a breath in  a couple minutes. 

Nice project you have going this year. There are some very rewarding plants in this thread. Give that cardenasii a little tickle and then sniff it.
Thanks and yep, it's so much easier when the stakes are low.  Will give that a try as soon as the cards are a little bigger. Right now I'll be content smelling the rocotos each time I water.

Back