• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2019 Hirsute Pursuit – Rocotos, Wilds & Moar

So, here's the new glog for the coming season.  With the indoor grow culled pretty hard now I can focus more on getting ready for what's ahead.  Hoping for a great year, but I’m already a bit behind - the germinators are packed right now and I've still got a round of annuum seeds waiting for their turn.  I guess it wouldn’t feel much like pepper growing though if everything were going perfect.

My focus was going to be rocotos with a side of bonnets and some other stuff, but I found I kept planting more and more wilds. Eventually I just kinda went all-in with them and they took on co-main event status. 

I’ll start things off with some pics of some of the earlier pube’s.  There’s not too many at this point. Unfortunately, the vast majority just went into germination.

First off, Costa Rica Red.  This is the CRR with flattened triangular pods.  I also have an OW CRR that’s a 3-4 lobed “boxy” variety.  I didn't get true seeds off this one last summer, so I have a few of these growing and crossing my fingers they grow true.
20190305%20CRR%20(P)-R.jpg

Rocoto DeSeda.  These guys were from a bush I’d OW’d a few years in a row, but it didn’t make it through this winter
20190305%20DeSeda-R.jpg

Rocoto San Camillo
20190305%20SanCamillo-R.jpg

Gelbe Reisen Variant.  These are from true seeds off a plant I’ve been growing for a few years that was supposed to be Gelbe Riesen, but the pods are more orange vs yellow, rounder/less boxy, and just a touch smaller. I don’t know if it’s a natural variation or it might have crossed with a Costa Rica Orange, but it's a great plant. I have a few of these started and am curious what comes of them.
20190305%20GRV-R.jpg

Giant Yellow Rocoto.  Suppose I should pinch that bud off.
20190305%20GYellow-R.jpg

Recently hatched Gelbe Riesen sprouts (the parent plant has been a beast for me for a while now) and CAP 217 Hyper-Pube.
20190305%20Hyper&Gelbe-R.jpg

That’s it for the rocotos for now.  Will try to post up some pics of the early wilds in a little bit. 

CD

IKR...And I'll be damned that Fish I tell ya...Drops a bomb of a PT which shall forever be known as "The Pube Topper"...at least in a certain few. And to be fair which life is not...I have been busy today so was tough to keep on it, and I am trying too not post whore too much in everyone else's threads at least...........for now :hell:

CaneDog said:
Lol, this thread has already made my day; love the ingenuity on this! And the new PT certainly has made a strong entrance xD

CaneDog said:

It's a good base though and I plan to put it outside in 2 months and let nature do the baby-sitting for me. 
Sorry to hear about your troubles, I can imagine it's a finicky plant indoors. Mine is also flowering again like crazy, but nothing is setting. For me it really was late July through August where it was setting pods like mad, so I think letting mother nature do her thing is probably the smartest move.

CaneDog said:

Did you ever get any of your BOC Sweetbites to sprout for you or plant another round of seeds?  I know the success rates of chinense/annuum aren't super high, but it would be really cool to see that one come through.
Unfortunately not, I've now tried 10 seeds in total, for about 4 weeks each, but nothing is happening at all, so I'm afraid it ain't gonna happen. Now that I'm keeping it though, I will for sure try to make some other crosses with it, for example with the lemon starrburst. I'm curious about the AK variant too, looking for forward how it will go for you!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

CaneDog said:

OK OK.  I'll go with the flow.  I assume the appropriate response is

Pulp%20Fiction%20-%20Bold%20Statement.jpg
Great selection youve got there. I remember my lanceolatum from about 5 years ago, it stayed tiny for ages then suddenly exploded in the space of about 1 week. PS what are you using to host the pictures in your posts? Ive been using the image url function however its saying Im using forbidden links by posting pics from both Facebook and image shack.

Lytton said:
Great selection youve got there. I remember my lanceolatum from about 5 years ago, it stayed tiny for ages then suddenly exploded in the space of about 1 week. PS what are you using to host the pictures in your posts? Ive been using the image url function however its saying Im using forbidden links by posting pics from both Facebook and image shack.

Hey Lytton.  I was just posting in your glog.  Thanks, and yeah, the Lances are really something that way.  I host through a private domain, but someone was just posting the other day which free sights work well with THP - just can't remember names off the top of my head.  I'm sure if you post that question in your glog you'll get a good answer fast.

CaneDog said:
:thumbsup:  It's a bit faint, but I can pick it up, particularly on the larger cgn.  Very different than the smell off the pubescens.  I'd smelled it before but hadn't really placed it at the time. Hard to describe.  Maybe a bit perfume-like and also a bit citrusy...  Very cool.
They are aromatic beasts! I'm surprised it is so faint,it should get stronger with age. It's similar to the smell of galapagoense but better imo. I can't compare it to anything either,just know that I like it.

One nice thing about wilds is there is very little need to isolate for pure seed. That being said,make sure you take some precautions with all those pubes around. Those two species are very fond of each other.

Good luck with your season. I think you will really enjoy the tovarii. The have an extremely rich color to their leaves. This will be the first time in a lot of years that I don't have one growing.

A carryover from the off-season glog, but I harvested the baha goat 6 days ago and planted a couple of the seeds the following day for a couple extra summer plants. Already all the little pods that were on it have swelled up and are starting to color, plus I have 2 hooks looking strong.  This plant's been awesome for me. Definitely saving seeds.

20190308_BGoat.jpg

At the other end of the cooperativeness spectrum, my cgn21500 finally set its first pod.
20190308_CGN21500.jpg

Also digging this little guy.  I was packing up a selection of pubescens seeds to send out and managed to get mixed up with a bag of 15 or so seeds.  90% sure they're giant yellow, but they could, possibly, be mini brown - and it is a compact growth pattern.  So, I introduce the Giant Mini Yellow Brown.  Going to have to wait a while to know for sure what it is and then I'll be able to take the "?" off the seed packet.

20190308_GiantMiniYellowBrown.jpg

Back