• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Capsidadburn grow 2012

Outside in my backyard are the remains of my 2011 season carcass sprawling all over the backyard. It is ugly! It needs to be reanimated and made ready for my 2012 season within 2 months.

Inside of course the season has began all over again. I am very pleased to say that I am only germinating 36 variety's so far this year. That is down 75 from last year. Pending some trades arrival from Finland, (7 more), that will be all. I have managed to keep myself out of the marketplace where the seeds tend to flow like white water rapids.

Here is my germ list for 2012;

Yellow 7 Pod Cappy purchased pods
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate Cappy purchased pods
Trinidad Yellow Scorpion CARDI Saved seeds (me)
Bih Jolokia
T. S. Moruga Blend
7 Pot Jonah
Aji Yuquitania
Aji Lima Rojo
Murupi Amarilla
Cumari do Para
BGH 1725
Douglah
Inca Red Drop
Costeno Amarillo
Onza Roja
Charapita
Beni Highlands
Fatalii
Douglah/ Faria scotch b. X f1
Bhut Jolokia Tonly pods (Thanks!)
Cumari ou Passirinho Tonly pods (Thanks!)
Trinidad Congo Red Windchicken pods (Thanks!)
Guampinho de Veado Windchicken pods (Thanks!)
Yellow Scotch Bonnets Windchicken pods (Thanks!)
Tepin
Espelette Basque
Bahama Goat Pepper
(Fat Juicy) piquin Smiter Q pods (Thanks!)
7 Pot Chiguanas Peppermainia
Inca Berry Peppermainia
Aji Amarillo Peppermainia
Lemon Drop Peppermainia
Brazilian Pumpkin Peppermainia (gift seeds, Thanks!)
Maule's Red Hot Peppermainia
Alma Paprika Peppermainia
Zapotec Jalapeno Peppermainia

Also a few Tomato's and maybe some Goji Berry

I also have around 60 overwintered plants. Here's a couple; Good Luck to all this season!

T. scorpion B. T.
Jan122012peppers009.jpg

Hawaiian Chile seeds collected from Hilo F. M. pods
Jan122012peppers013.jpg

Agreed Eric, about the blessings of this year versus last year. That was painful and will never forget it. The temps have been great so far! Wondering if I will need the shade screens this year...

Your grow is looking great,Cap! Nice pod pics, and your garden
space is right on; I really like the mix of raised beds and container
arrays - really looks dense and full, but not too crowded. Glad to
hear you folk down there are having a good grow season; hope it
keeps goin' for you. Have a great week, bro!

Thanks Paul! I believe I do push the limits a bit with overcrowding maybe not so much with the overwinters but the first years are always competing for space and that can be bad for some plants and or production levels. Someday I will have more space and land.
Mike

Do you mean the Papaya trees I have or the wild plum? The Plum start did not live. I'll be visiting those wild plums again this year with big bucket.

Papaya, that's it! My friend Danh grows them behind his restaurant.

When I was a kid spending the summers in the sandy hills of the East Texas post oak country, the wild plums grew along every fence row. My brother loved to pick those hard, tart little suckers. I always wondered if transplanted to a nice garden with plenty of nutrition and water, that maybe they would make larger, softer, sweeter fruit...

The garden looks great, Mike! Very nice selection of exotic chinenses. That's exciting about the native piquins—I have 5 of Smiter's piquin plants growing. They are still small, in #1 nursery pots, but they are some really beautiful plants—all lush and dark green. I can't wait to get them in the ground where they can really flourish.

Gary

[sub]Thanks Gary! I hope I get a few papaya's this season. The east Texas plum's you spoke of by chance do you know it's actual name. I've been trying to figure this one out here in Pflugerville but I have not actually seen the blooms yet. These are relatively short and I think they propigate underground with root shoots. There are several species for this area just want to figure it out. I liked the tart flavor mixed tart mustang grapes, wild tepins and sugar.[/sub]

[sub]Have a good day![/sub]

I don't know the name of that plum, sorry. Everyone just called them "wild plums." Like you said, they were short—only 3 or 4 feet maybe, but I always figured that was because they seemed to always occur along the fence rows, where they were vulnerable to regular clearing. The fruit were small—maybe 3/4" in diameter, and orangey-red. Maybe they were propagated by birds, since the plants sprouted where they did... I have an uncle that still lives at Tyler, and he is a card-carrying country boy. Maybe he would know the name...Or there's bound to be some kind of online resource where one could search for such things...It was in Henderson County, around the little towns of Murchison and Athens....

Gary

I like the Texas A & M site the most that I have found. But I am still not sure. Someone suggested "Sloe plum" also said to be east Texas.
wildTepinhuntAug8016.jpg

What a wonderful garden ! Isn't the THP community a great place. My parents home in Eastern NC has a similar plum tree the house was built in 1941. I'm glad I found this GLOG !

The Aggie dB is pretty cool—Thanks for the tip. My memories of the plums I mentioned are about 30 years old, so I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the fruit in the photo above are too dark in color and too ovate in shape, plus the leaves are larger and darker than the ones I remember. I found this one on the TAMU site, which seems to be very close to my recollection—

prungrac0387.jpg

SandPlumCopy.jpg

Thanks Gary for the description of your plum memories! Here is a photo update for late May.
A couple Bih Jolokia pods. These were fairly prolific last year for me but this year the pod size is way better.
May262012042.jpg

Have a couple overwintered Brain Strains which have been slow to produce for me.
May262012028.jpg

A beautiful 1st year Cumari ou Passirinho
May262012034.jpg

This is a volunteer 3rd year Aji Panca. I got nothing from them in the previous two years and abandoned them. All three came back on there own! Very exciting!
May262012032.jpg

Another cool Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
May262012023.jpg

I will post some more pics today...

More pics;
Uvilla Grande ripens red
May262012039.jpg

Quintisho ripens yellow. I remember this as being very prolific last year but forgot how good and hot it tasted. Very citrusy and juicy. Jam time ahead!
May262012031.jpg

First year Yellow 7 Pod
May262012020.jpg

White 7 pot from Eric
May262012019.jpg

Alma Paprika
May262012037.jpg

Have a good day folks!

Thank you Jamison and Charles! I am so excited about this season so far.

More late May pics;
Yellow 7 pod close up
May302012026.jpg

Yellow Trinidad Scorpion CARDI
May302012022.jpg

Douglah cross. These were red pods last year. This pod is quite mammoth!
May262012046.jpg

7 Pot Jonah with guardian
May302012007.jpg

7 Pot Barrackpore
May302012020.jpg

My son is off to his first prom tonight. Great day everybody!

Hey Eric! I get asked this a lot, usually by coworkers. I will be making alot of puree's. Smoking, drying, and powdering some. Pickling the Inca Red Drops. Make some more jams, and sauces, and hot fruit smoothie's. Will be freezing some. Going to try a hot ice cream too!

Mainly just have fun!
Mike

Hot fruit smoothies! Interesting. Well definitely have fun, Mike. Looks like you're about to be busy in the kicthen/with the smoker. :)

Wow, look at those crazy Murupi! I have one in the ground that's had a setback (pests of some kind) but it's still alive and another in a pot on my patio that is flowering. I wonder if mine will turn out all twisted like yours.

Everything looks great, love that Douglah cross, I have one (Douglah x Butch T) that is branching in a strange way, after the fork one put out four more forks and the other just two... looking strong though...

Great pics!

Yes Eric, I was looking for something with yogurt like consistancy for morning breakfast breaks at work. My doctor has me on medication and on a low fat diet to reduce my high triglycerides. I now weigh what I was when I left the Marines 28 years ago. Not quite that good of shape though.

Charles, I have no doubt that your plants will produce all manner of twisting curves for you. Keep me posted.

Mike

Back