• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

Sawyer said:
That's good to know.  Are they still setting pods in the heat?

No they have stopped, the Red Bhut is the only one to set anything in the heat so far.

armac said:
apparently some have signed contracts with carolina reaper about reselling, so if you have any intent on selling any by product of the reaper, you need to enter into a contract. I know some guys here sell seeds, FYI.

How about freebees? I saw nothing in the purchase that mentioned any limitations...

armac said:
That would relate to the wording I used......sell, sale or resell. Nothing was mentioned about gifts.
Thanks you! I did understand your wording but had to ask anyway, don't need lawyers tracking me down for giving something away :D

This world is crazy enough..

Unless he has an international trademark on the name (which name would that be hp22b or Carolina reaper??) And a patent on the product genetics then good luck enforcing that ... I think that just sounds like scare tactics .... What if I decided to just call the seeds from my pods reapers?? They are no longer his genetics and his name is not used .. .

Trippa said:
Unless he has an international trademark on the name (which name would that be hp22b or Carolina reaper??) And a patent on the product genetics then good luck enforcing that ... I think that just sounds like scare tactics .... What if I decided to just call the seeds from my pods reapers?? They are no longer his genetics and his name is not used .. .

I was thinking this.  Also, with all the pepper crosses out there, who's to say, without specific costly dna testing that my "Virginia Grims" are the same as his Reapers.  Very likely anything I would be selling would have cross pollinated with a neighboring pepper.  I'm not a commercial seed seller by any stretch of the imagination, and I have nothing against those guys, but it just doesn't seem like the cost of litigation would make it worth pursuing.  It's not like they're Monsanto.

Pepperhead said:

I was thinking this.  Also, with all the pepper crosses out there, who's to say, without specific costly dna testing that my "Virginia Grims" are the same as his Reapers.  Very likely anything I would be selling would have cross pollinated with a neighboring pepper.  I'm not a commercial seed seller by any stretch of the imagination, and I have nothing against those guys, but it just doesn't seem like the cost of litigation would make it worth pursuing.  It's not like they're Monsanto.
The Reaper is so unstable that I don't think anyone could possible say what is and isn't a Reaper, even with a DNA test.

Trademarking a name is one thing.  Patenting a plant variety is something else altogether.  From wikipedia (I know, I know), "Seed is submitted to the plant variety office, who grow it for one or more seasons, to check that it is distinct, stable, and uniform."  It seems apparent from people's experiences here on THP the variety is not stable.  There is also an exemption to plant variety protections for the purpose of breeding new varieties, see Article 15(1).

romy6 said:
 Yes it is. According to the experts you cannot sell pods, seeds, or sauces . 

Jamie, is it that you cannot sell (plants), pods, seeds, or sauces, or just that you can't use the name "Carolina Reaper" in connection with such sales?

Trademark on the name,not the variety. Good luck trademarking a variety. The 7 Pot Lava seems to be trademarked and I haven't seen seeds even for sale yet. I don't blame him a bit. It's obvious how cutthroat this industry has become. The opportunity to make mucho $$$ off of any of these fancy super hots is short lived. Get it while you can. Unless you are doing it for cancer research or to feed children,then there is no worry about profit. After everyone trades these,there will be a new one,and another,and another.......... Good thing I am growing these Sweet Habanero x Bangladeshi Naga cross!

*edit* My questions are.... Are people going to be able to save seeds? Are you going to have to buy them every season?

Pr0digal_son said:
*edit* My questions are.... Are people going to be able to save seeds? Are you going to have to buy them every season?

I've saved seeds from a pod someone sent me and planted them.  Haven't had my door busted down yet.

Back