• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Chili?

A.J didnt get chance to thank you for that recipe..just changed the sausages to cumberland and old Leicester..could not get Italian the time..bottle of blossom hill zin and it went down fantastic..and the lefter overs i put in the fridge and was even better the following night..damn fine ;) thank you.

Canuk Pepperhead said:
whats Chili ground beef,Chili ground pork??ground pork,beef with chili powder mixed in?
No, it's the type of grind. Your butcher can do it.

Ha, this was funny and thought I'd share..also is a recipe.

http://www.texascooking.com/features/jan2007_chili_refresher_course.htm

I like this part:

Good chili results not so much from what you put in it as what you don't put in it. Good chili contains no arrowroot, anise, aspirin or arrowheads. Also no chocolate, sour cream or flax seed. Leave out rawhide doggie chews and empty cans. No seafood allowed. We don't want to see any whole Jap peppers floating in a sea of red grease either.

You know what to do; just do it.

BTW, Chili grind is basically a coarse sausage grind. Myself, I just fry up the mix of whatever with some garlic, onions and chilis, and break it up as much as I like.

A local shop does custom meat blends too which is fun. ;)

Heres a good page on the meat in a chili.

Meaty Matters: The Carne in Chili by Dave DeWitt

Cheers,

~QS

AlabamaJack said:
hey, thanks for the vote of confidence Sickmont...I didn't know you had used my recipe...makes me proud..

YW Pepper Belly...we are a honky tonk dance band...no blue grass...play a lot of originals and a bunch of old stuff like George, Tom T., Merle, Waylon, Willie, a couple of Marty Robbins...heck, I bet we know over 1000 songs...depending on the show we are doing, we sometimes open it up for requests right away with the disclaimer "our top 40 was 40 years ago"...we don't do any Nashville nor do we have a desire to do any Nashville...

by the way...when I am cooking at home, I just use a lean ground beef and ground pork...it does'nt have to be chili grind..and I forgot to say break open the italian sausage and kinda crumple it up...

Dating myself here too but that sounds like my kind of country, when it really was music.

Jackie

AlabamaJack said:
I actually use my wifes box of wine...sunset blush...I would just use a sweet inexpensive wine...the sunset blush is the cheapest I can find...5 Liters for 10 USD...sweet/half dry would probably do the trick

AJ I was only able to find a rose´ zinfindel (paid €3.99, roughly 6-7 dollars,for it) , Ill let you know if it worked. The beef and pork I will be using is cut for goulash (chuck) should work fine, unfortunately Germans havn't a clue what American Italian sausage is so I will use bratswurst (pork hot dogs but larger and taste much better, similar to sausage but not seasoned the same). The Chorrizo my wife and I will buy tomorrow (I bought the wrong meat). Other than that I have every ingredient should work and taste pretty good I think the rose might even compliment it. I am short on Japs so I will throw in some serranos and of course 1 Habanero. For my chili powder we have pure ancho and pure Chipotle I will probebly mix the two.

Curious, is there a opinion on beef vs pork Chorizo?

I sorta like the flavor of the beef one better.

Currently, I got the ElMexicano Chorzio De Res from the local mexican store and it's quite tasty.

While there picked up 3 more bottles of El Yucateco Aztec Hab Sauce...I bought all they had left after my last trip..lol

Also, I got more chipotles, chiles de negro, some very nice jalapenos (for $2 a lb), and some chiletepins for munching on. :)

I shoulda got the morita peppers too...oops.

AlabamaJack said:
Grease is good flavor....beef is good but not as good as pork IMO..

Never Tried Pork A.J is it the extra fat content of the pork plus that more salty edge that you prefer :)

Would not mind trying some salt marsh lamb with it to think it be an interesting combination or even goat.

It could be Talas, haven't thought of that way...with all the different meats that are being used, when the chili cooks down, each little taste has different textures in it...I just love this recipe...

AlabamaJack said:
AlabamaJacks Red - True Texas Red

2 lbs. Chili ground beef
1 lb. Chili ground pork
12 oz Italian Sausage Hot
12 oz Italian Sausage Mile
12 oz. Chorrizo
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp salt
3 16 oz cans stewed tomatos
1 Tbsp black pepper
750 ml white zinfindel wine
1-3 Tbsp Oregano
10 Jalapeno peppers (chopped)
2-4 Tbsp Chili Powder
4 Cloves Fresh Garlic Crushec
1 large Sweet White Onion (chopped)

Brown all meat keeping the fat that has been rendered...the leaner meat you use, the less fat.

Add all other ingredients and cook on low heat just enough to keep it bubbling for about 2-3 hours and you are ready.

This chili is really good if you let it cool down overnight then reheat the next day to the point of boiling then reduce heat to simmer for about another hour...

All ingredients can be adjusted to taste...I use about 15 Japs, Plus one whole chopped superhot...seeds and all...

If you have fresh ripe tomatoes, you can use them but you will have to adjust the salt and other spices to compensate...

If you want to make this a "CASI" chili where there is just sauce and meat, deseed the peppers and puree all the veggies (peppers, tomatos, onion, and garlic) in a food processor until smooth) then add to the cooked meat. I add all the spices to the veggies if I puree them, then mix it all together...

Once the chili is ready to eat, you can remove some of the grease off the top...I would not remove the grease before cooking because that is where a lot of the flavor comes from...

Bon Apetite

This is the best chili I have ever eaten even after the modifications I made.

Thanks Pepper Belly...there are lots of modifications you can make to the recipe and it will still hold the same basic taste...I am glad you like it...

AlabamaJack said:
AlabamaJacks Red - True Texas Red

Well, I just tried this. With a few twists (obviously).

It has only simmered for 3 hours now, but WOO-HOO! That sure tastes good.

Different wine (Pinot Gris), a bit less chorizo, added some bacon, fresh tomatoes from Tuscany, a bit more salt, a few more (small) superhots and DANG, this tastes good.

Cooling off now to reheat after that. Not "in your face" hot, but Eric Burdon would be proud of me. :D

Thanks for the recipy! :D

thanks Wide-O...just re-reading this thread makes me want a bowl...and I just so happen to have 11 pints on the shelf that were pressure canned 28 September...looks like I am only going to have 10 in a little while... :D

AJ,

Have you tried freezing chili and comparing its taste to that which you canned? I had never thought about canning but I can see benefits when it comes time to fix a meal. The biggest negative is the way my wife and kids love chili I would have to open at least four quarts at a time. That's one reason why I put up some much juice - between chili and vegetable soup I can go through more than 50 quarts and that's just during the cold weather months (late November to the end of March). But it sounds like a great idea if I want to make have some for chili dogs.

Mike

I have about a gallon in the freezer right now Mike...but I have very little freezer space even with a small chest freezer...

The reason I tried canning it was so I could keep it at room temperature and not use the freezer....

Totally understand about the family eating the chili, but with just me and the wife, it works out great...plus it is ready to eat pretty quick without having to cook the bejesus out it if in a hurry...

I had a pint of it yesterday after my post and it tastes delicious (if I do say so myself)...I think the pressure canned is better than the frozen...JMO

AJ,

I presumed it would be. Freezing always seems to take a bit of the flavor away.

Every Sunday I call mom and yesterday she was telling me how she loves chili but not with beans and onions so this will be an easy but appreciated present. She doesn't cook but relies on my sister or neice to bring her meals for the most part. I can fix a dozen pints of chili for her and she can warm them up whenever she gets hungry.

Mike

Back