• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Chili?

AJ,

We will see if people in Cincinnati like your recipe - it's in this week's paper. Sorry, fewer than 10,000 people will read it so you will probably have to keep working at your day job for a few more months. I'll send you a copy if you want.

Mike

wordwiz said:
AJ,

We will see if people in Cincinnati like your recipe - it's in this week's paper. Sorry, fewer than 10,000 people will read it so you will probably have to keep working at your day job for a few more months. I'll send you a copy if you want.

Mike

Would that be the Cincy 3-way with spag?

Cheers, TB.

Cincy chili has to have beans but the mainstream ones: Skyline, Empress, Gold Star don't include any sausage, garlic, oregano, wine, whole tomatoes, hot peppers - most of the ingredients AJ includes. Wendy's likes to add bell peppers - they add a distinct taste that is refreshing.

For ten years, we had an annual event in Reading, where my paper is published. The first Sunday in December was Light Up Reading where the streets were lined with luminarias, the community Christmas tree and Nativity Scene were dedicated, carolers walked the downtown business district and residents could ride in a horse and buggy (or a wagon pulled by a tractor in some years). We served chili - one year almost 13 gallons of it in a 2 hour period. I fixed the mild and my son the spicy. I would go through three gallons to his one.

Cheese Coneys are also very big: a hot dog smothered in chili sauce topped by onions and finely grated, fluffy cheddar cheese. You need either a very big mouth or a fork to eat these things!

Mike

wordwiz said:
Cincy chili has to have beans but the mainstream ones: Skyline, Empress, Gold Star don't include any sausage, garlic, oregano, wine, whole tomatoes, hot peppers - most of the ingredients AJ includes. Wendy's likes to add bell peppers - they add a distinct taste that is refreshing.

For ten years, we had an annual event in Reading, where my paper is published. The first Sunday in December was Light Up Reading where the streets were lined with luminarias, the community Christmas tree and Nativity Scene were dedicated, carolers walked the downtown business district and residents could ride in a horse and buggy (or a wagon pulled by a tractor in some years). We served chili - one year almost 13 gallons of it in a 2 hour period. I fixed the mild and my son the spicy. I would go through three gallons to his one.

Cheese Coneys are also very big: a hot dog smothered in chili sauce topped by onions and finely grated, fluffy cheddar cheese. You need either a very big mouth or a fork to eat these things!

Mike

Give us a rundown on what the 1-way, 2-way etc. is. Is the pasta always spahgetti? For the dog, I'd opt for a very large spoon! I would just shovel that 'thang in! I have heard that Skyline is the top dog on the block. What say you?

Cheers, TB.

Pepper Belly said:
Ronnie what could I use to substitute for the wine (non alcoholic)?

I have a recipe where I use a jar of chinese sweet-n-sour sauce. would probably work the same - give a little sweet.

wordwiz said:
AJ,

Mike

I would love to have a copy MIke...thanks man...

TB,
1-Way Chili: Just chili.

2-Way Chili: Spaghetti covered with chili.

3-Way Chili: Spaghetti, covered chili and topped with a mound of shredded cheddar cheese.

4-Way Chili: A 3-Way with diced onions or red beans.

5-Way Chili: A 3-Way with diced onions and red beans.

Skyline is by far the leader in sales, accounting for 65% of the market, though Gold Star has more stores. Their chilies are significantly different in taste though I'm not sure I can describe the differences. Empress is far behind the big two but it does have a distinction - it is the oldest chili empire in the city. Skyline was started by the main "chef" at Empress

All three of the chilies are very soupy.

Wendy's is the new kid in the market and it's chili was simply because Dave Thomas thought it was stupid to get rid of hamburgers because their time was up. Rather than toss it in the can, he decided to turn it into chili. It's much thicker with lots of onions and beans, plus diced bell peppers. It also has more of a tomato juice taste than the other three.

Mike

I don't know if this is a popular dish outside of Cincinnati or not but this is popular here, a 3-, 4- or 5-Way French Fries:

chilicheesefries.jpg

Mike

Mike..I'm not a fan of chili w/beans, but from the looks of that pic, I'll make an itty bitty exception. Bring on the hot sauce and a VERY large spoon! Looks like good eats in my book. Thanks for the Cincy edumacation on the "ways of chili".

Cheers, TB.

Iggy,

I don't get out and about much! I know the last time I was in Canada, I didn't see any restaurants offering them. Oh, wait, that was 1974!

Mike

wordwiz said:
Iggy,

I don't get out and about much! I know the last time I was in Canada, I didn't see any restaurants offering them. Oh, wait, that was 1974!

Mike
Ya, after the Great Moose War of 1983, things changed for the better up north.

texas blues said:
Moose Chili rocks. Better than squirrel. Tastier than cat.

Cheers, TB.

I just made some chili with moose last weekend. See my JayT's Superhot Chile thread. I made it with moose, venison, kielbasa, smoked pork sausage, and an assortment of superhots.

I gotta have a chili cook-off at this year's county fair. You all can enter your creation if you want, though I would think that Cat Scratch High Fever might have a head start, especially if Ted Nugent will agree to be a judge.

Mike

Back