• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Comfort Food Throwdown... BEGIN!

Most comforting food?

• JayT - Chile-rubbed Prime Rib with Gorgonzola Mashed Potatoes and Parmesan Green Bean Casserole

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • paulky_2000 - Paul's Pork Chops wWith Firecracker Corn And Masochistic Mac-N-Cheese!

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Quadshotz - Salsbury Steak w/ Bacon-Serrano Beans, Mashed Poatoes & Mushroom Gravy

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Noshownate - WHite Bullet Meat Loaf w/Honey Bacon Grilled Corn and Brown Sugar Glazed Sweet Potatoes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • POTAWIE - POTAWIE'S Pulled Pork Platter

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • moyboy - Pip's Great Balls of Fire

• SumOfMyBits - Ain't Grandma's Chicken w/ Creamed Spinach and Stuffin'

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • frydadd4 - Shrimp N Grits N Greens N Bluebell

• texasblues - TB's TexMex Combinacions Plato Grande

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heheh, I grew up on 7 acres with a mom who's raised in the 1940's...so yeah..I know down-home cookin'.

Mom did ours on a pot-bellied wood stove a lot of the time when we couldn't afford electric. Me, I got a 1950's range and cast iron to boot...so it's like a bit of the old days still. :)

Bring it on...

JayT said:
Keysteins. I know the SoFlo Posse is giving you a standing O for this one.

The Keystein is definitely a keeper. Adding a dent will add to the flavor. Paul, we expect to see the Keystein make an appearance in EVERY food post from now on. Prost!

SHAZAAM YA'LL!!! Haysoos Xmas on a crutch! Prime Rib. Poke chops. Mystery meat with bacon. The teasers lay down a righteous groove and leave the scene soooo mysterioso! SoFlo Posse up in this joint too! P2K is tag teamin' it and may be aimin' to powerslam the competition. Jay said he wasn't bringin' the foo foo but I pity the fool that told me them lies. I smell yorkshire pudding comin' out wit da' rib. Probably some scalloped pots or twice baked too. Dig it ya'll!

I'll have my mojo workin' manana ya'll. Where 'da Aussie's at? We need some gratuitous smack talkin'!

I'll Let this pic do a little smack talkin!:)

Noshow's ....?
IMG00419-1.jpg

I'm all finished!! Photos are pending....beer is still flowing! ;)

Took too many pics...so I have to sift through them to get the best 8 or so!

MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Ahhhh it's all done and I am FULL!!! Why TB, you think you know me so well. :lol:

Ok, here you go. JayT's Chile-rubbed Prime Rib with Gorgonzola Mashed Potatoes and Parmesan Green Bean Casserole:

Prime Rib Rubbed with a paste of Ancho and Chipotle Powders, granulated garlic, sea salt, black pepper, thyme, basil, and olive oil.

100_4667.jpg

The sides in prep mode: (the Lost Abbey Judgment Day Ale is also being prepped to be drunk)

100_4668.jpg

Ok, break time. Time for a pitcher of some sort of vodka, citrus (fresh lemon/lime/orange) juices, and vodka sparkling water, tonic, agave nectar, and ginger ale. Let's call it ManImaGunaBDrunk.:

100_4669.jpg

Ok next we have the Prime Rib upon exit from the stove and on the chopping block:

100_4672.jpg

100_4673.jpg

And finally the plating. No foo foo here except maybe the Aus Jus. I already described the Prime Rib, but the final plate also includes some Gorgonzola mashed potatoes with cilantro and green onion, and a green bean casserole with fried onions, mushrooms, and Parmesan cheese.

100_4675.jpg

It's official. JayT knows what comfort food is... NICE!

Here we go!

***EVIL GRIN***

100_0563.jpg

Here is the dish to beat.....but first, it's CAPTAIN TIME!!!

100_0566.jpg

Chops done......YUMMMM!!! (the pork.....not the beer!!)

100_0567.jpg

On to the sides!

Here are the ingredients for the firecracker corn. Sweet yellow & sweet white corn, butter, jalapeno, orange habanero, cayenne, mystery pepper, onion, fatalli/bhut seasoning, a bit of sugar and some cracked black pepper:

100_0574.jpg

to be continued..

On the stove we go!!

Looks good....and burns the eyes.....even as it simmers!!!

100_0578.jpg

HERE is what happens when you give twin 12 year olds a cheese slicer, a block of jalapeno queso cheese, and a couple of peppers:

100_0576.jpg

FOR......a killer MAC-N-CHEESE!!!

100_0580.jpg

After simmering and loving over the pots as the magic happened....and since I had to edit out most of the FUN!......

HERE is the final dish:

100_0582-1.jpg

We shall name it:

Paul's pork chops with firecracker corn and masochistic mac-n-cheese!

TA-DA!!!!

Salisbury Steak, Bacon-Onion-Serrano Green Beans, and Mashed Potatoes w/ 'ShroomGravy

Ok, here's da goods...

The bacon is crisped, then the chiles/onion/beans are cooked down in the bacon goodness.

S6305002.jpg

Alaskan Gold Potatoes are boiled, drained, then seasoned with garlic and onion, and mashed with half & Half and Butter.

Meat is seasoned with loads of Black Pepper, Arbol Chile, Rosemary, Sage, and Worcestershire. Mixed in are an egg and some breadcrumbs. Then, they're dredged in flour and fried up in da Iron. I made a roux outa the meaty drippings, add the onion and mushrooms, season it up, and let it ripppp right in the same skillet.

Contact Sheet-1.jpg

OK..are ya ready for good Ol'-Fashioned US-of-A Food?

No foo-foo, no fancy nothing...just meat, potato and a veggie. Circa 1955 eh?

Here is what ya Momma SHOULD have made for ya.. ;-)
S6305022.jpg

The Bloody Definetion of Comfort Food ya'll!!
S6305028.jpg

Good lord I'm stuffed and feel like a nap after all that classic American goodness.

Cheers,

~QS

Quady....'dats for true comfort all the way amigo. Very well done!

Jay...blue cheese mashed w/cilantro? FOO FOO!! Lovely rib! Another true comfort food. Where da' horse at?

P2K Posse....you cats put together the perfect combo of comfort and cornball! I can dig it.

Who else gettin' down brown and bringin' it?

Thanks TB, For me, the simple food I was raised on while watching Mom slave over a hot stove for us is MY comfort food. This is the stuff that got me into cooking.

My Grandma still makes her Green Beans the same way...minus the Serranos...It don't get much better. :)

Paul, gotta get me some of that firecracker corn!

Quad that gravy looks amazing! One question though, where da beer at?

TB no horse needed for this merry-go-round. That rib has a chile crust and the aus jus has some serious heat! The missus took one bite dipped in jus and passed her cup to me.

Working on the Guinness extra stout....

....and a bit of heartburn from the "holy hell, that was hot" corn!

Not that the rest of of the meal was a walk in the daisies!

I can't wait for leftovers!!! :woohoo:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back