• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Comfort Food Throwdown... BEGIN!

Most comforting food?

• JayT - Chile-rubbed Prime Rib with Gorgonzola Mashed Potatoes and Parmesan Green Bean Casserole

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • paulky_2000 - Paul's Pork Chops wWith Firecracker Corn And Masochistic Mac-N-Cheese!

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Quadshotz - Salsbury Steak w/ Bacon-Serrano Beans, Mashed Poatoes & Mushroom Gravy

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Noshownate - WHite Bullet Meat Loaf w/Honey Bacon Grilled Corn and Brown Sugar Glazed Sweet Potatoes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • POTAWIE - POTAWIE'S Pulled Pork Platter

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • moyboy - Pip's Great Balls of Fire

• SumOfMyBits - Ain't Grandma's Chicken w/ Creamed Spinach and Stuffin'

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • frydadd4 - Shrimp N Grits N Greens N Bluebell

• texasblues - TB's TexMex Combinacions Plato Grande

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Peep this fellow throwers...
IMG_1462.jpg

Not in photo: Flour starring as Gravy Thicken'r.

Home made white bread'n'celery green onion stuffing with home grown tabascos (crushed)
IMG_1467.jpg

Chicken stuffed and in the oven. Yeah, they sold me a chicken with a broken leg... adds to the flavor.
IMG_1469.jpg

Teaser: Potawies pulled pork platter
I was up late last night cooking my kind of comfort food, pulled pork and did it ever turn out good. For sides I made some smoked wedge fries and a smoked veggy salad with jalapenos, roasted Anaheim peppers, tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, as well as a bit of bacon and some seasonings.

Here's a pic of everything on the smoker. The pork is already cooked, its just being warmed up
4082801045_71c0dabbc3_b.jpg

And here's the pork with my somewhat home-made BBQ sauce
4082801053_194202c3a5_b.jpg

I forgot to add this pic of bacon soaked potato wedges
4083137023_2a8ca481d0_b.jpg

Wow! Do want Potawie!!!

P Dreadie, that looks awesome. What is that a 10lb meatloaf? Hey if THP oks it I say it's all good with me. I wasn't saying I oppose you entering. I just think THP is usually pretty strict about it.

JayT ,

Thanks, I'm not sure about the poundage on the loaf , but it was large. I don't think I should be included because everyone else's dishes look so good !

Not just POTAWIE with his pork , but every dish I'd like to visit that I've seen. Prime Rib !! Devils Corn .... Chops !! A lot of sides that looked good and were new to me ...... Dang ..... your "comfort" could effect me.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Potawie's pulled pork platter
Well I think my teaser pics were better than my final plate pic but all I can say is I was hungry and in a hurry to chow down. Now I have wicked leftovers for a few meals:)

Here it is, although I forgot the onions in the pic. I decided not to buy any special buns since I had lot of sausage buns to use up. No foofoo for me again, just sloppy goodness

4082801055_8302af9b8a_b.jpg

Potawie...awesome hot, blue, and righteousnessess! Love the splooge shot on the poke'. That's one beautiful platter of WIN!

JayT said:
Ok next we have the Prime Rib upon exit from the stove and on the chopping block:

100_4672.jpg

100_4673.jpg

And finally the plating. No foo foo here except maybe the Aus Jus. I already described the Prime Rib, but the final plate also includes some Gorgonzola mashed potatoes with cilantro and green onion, and a green bean casserole with fried onions, mushrooms, and Parmesan cheese.

100_4675.jpg
OMFG

Wow, that meatloaf and pulled pork is fantabulous!

I actually wanted to make a meatloaf, but didnt have enough ground cow for it.

Funny, it seems the consensus that our overall comfort food is...

MEAT!!
smilie_essen_130.gif

PS, I found a couple's cookin' smiley for Nate & his gal:

grill_smilies_220.gif

I think it's great ya guys cook together, not many couples can without bloodshed...hehehe.

Nice work everyone!

Wish my pix were better..nighttime sux here for taking pics, just not enough light.

Name: Pip's great ball's of fire

Well I made herb and chilli meat balls with mash potato and asparagus which is so easy to make. I also made some NAAN style bread (not the same way it's traditionally made) with home made garlic butter on top......Oh it was so good.

IMG_1224.jpg

Naan bread recipe:

1lb white flour
1oz dried yeast
1 tsp nigella seed (also known in Indian stores as charnushka or kanolfi seed)
6 tbsp plain yogurt
2 tbsp ghee or melted butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
3/4 cup warm water
oil or ghee to coat

1. Dissolve sugar in warm water.
2. Add yeast. Yeast should froth, if it doesn't, start over with fresh yeast.
3. In a seperate bowl, sift salt with flour and add nigella seeds.
4. Make a well in the centre and add yoghurt, ghee and yeast mixture.
5. Knead well until it forms a dough. Shape into a ball. If dough is sticky, add more flour until elastic.
6. Coat a seperate bowl with oil or ghee and roll dough into it until fully coated.
7. Shake off excess oil and cover with damp tea-towel or cloth.
8. After 2 or 3 hours, dough should have doubled in size. This happens best in a warm area (my granny used to put hers on the mantlepiece above her fire!)
9. Knead the dough and divide into around 6 equal portions. Flatten and mould into typical 'pear' shape naan.
10. Preheat oven to 450F/230C and bake for 10 mins. Brush with ghee or butter and serve.

I halved the recipe and made 2 large NAAN breads, one with the home made garlic butter and one was plain. They turned out so good....Not as soft as I was hoping but still great.

Now......The main attraction!!

IMG_1226.jpg

Meat balls are usually just a bit of this and a dash of that...

Meat balls:
750gr of lean mince beef
2 eggs
1/2 cup of sour cream
1 cup of breadcrumbs
1/2 tbls of fresh garlic
1 tsp of smoked paprika
1 tsp of ground corriander seeds
1 tsp of cracked pepper corns
1/8 cup of sweet marjoram
1/8 cup of diced oregano
1 Bhut

Sauce:
1 large tin of crushed tomatoes
1 tin of tomato soup concentrate
2 cups of water
1/2 cup of sweet basil
1 red onion sliced
3 large mushrooms sliced
some dash of tomato based chilli sauce

Put the meat balls in the sauce and simmer on low heat for 45 minutes.

potato was cut into 1/4's and simmered on low boil with salt for 30 minutes. water was drained then butter, cream and milk is added and it's mashed......:)

and that is that...... I loved it and the heat was nice and high without killing the flavour..

Moyboy...I just woke up and saw your dinner as I was drinking my coffee. That meal looks great! And I WILL be giving your recipe a go. I say that deserves a WIN+++ ;)

BTW...in my groggy state I had real difficulty writing this without giving the some really bad signature ideas for people. :rofl:

So....Pippy claims to know nada about comfort food and whips out Balls O' Fire for the WIN! Right. Who is Pippy really working for? Government mole? KGB? SMASH? Very suspicious indeed. Now after seeing that pic of the BOF's.....I'm pullin' out all the stops!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back