• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2017-Having a good time in the dirt

Another season has come and gone. Time to start a new one!

Although I did already a few weeks ago :shh: . After last years dismal (late) start I jumped in a bit early to insure I could have viable plants come dirt day. I can always cut them back, if I need to. I have to compile a list yet, but I'm growing the full spectrum. Sweets, to supers, based upon what we will actually use. Most of my list is to make LB happy; I'm really glad to see her infuse peppers in more and more dishes. Can't beat that when the wife takes interest ;)

1.jpg

Not the best pic; but the shelf is being sketchy, and I don't need all the babies bouncing off the floor.

Good luck to all this season :party:

Masher said:
Really nice head start...cabinet looks to be doing just fine for you, congrats, they look great.

Thanks!

I have it in an insulated room off the wood shop. The lights alone keep it warm enough, even though it was 19°s this morning.

Good luck with your grow this season!

So this morning was THE coldest morning since 1989 here. 12/24/1989 had a high of 15° all day that year. Today was 19° and it hit 43°. So while cold, not as cold as that day. It seems our lettuce, broccoli, and carrots froze. And that is a first. We already lost the pineapples, and of course the peppers in the garden 2-3 weeks ago. Not sure about the citrus trees.

So today I turned the heat on in the shop and installed my Christmas present, LB and the kids got me a garage door opener. LOL welcome to the rest of the world for me.

So now when I take the Beast to work:

rt.jpg

I can push a button to get out of the garage. LOL, never mind I'm a IT guy for a school district. I guess I get so much at work that I don't want to fork with it at home, after all I'm just now getting used to texting, dang cell phones are invasive!

Good luck with you grow this year.  Nice to see an early start.  Just started a handful myself.  I think we have the same thoughts on IT.  I do it for work and once home last thing I want to do these days is any real IT stuff that requires thought.   My computers now are used to store pictures, check the weather and pepper stuff.  Sometimes the occasional golf scores.

jcw10tc said:
Good luck with you grow this year.  Nice to see an early start.  Just started a handful myself.  I think we have the same thoughts on IT.  I do it for work and once home last thing I want to do these days is any real IT stuff that requires thought.   My computers now are used to store pictures, check the weather and pepper stuff.  Sometimes the occasional golf scores.

Thanks!

There ya go! That's why my time in the garden is fun. I spend my work day thinking all day for others. once home I want to escape phones and anything that sucks my brain, so dirt is fun ;)
I'm at less than 3 years until AMF...adios mother forkers :party:

Devv said:

Thanks!

There ya go! That's why my time in the garden is fun. I spend my work day thinking all day for others. once home I want to escape phones and anything that sucks my brain, so dirt is fun ;)
I'm at less than 3 years until AMF...adios mother forkers :party:

3 years, damn, I wish I was so lucky.  I have no end in sight.  But we sound exactly alike these days.  Thats probably why I got so into peppers again in the last few years, to get away from the technological thinking. 

Scott, broccoli is one of the hardest vegetables to freeze out. Up in our part of Tezas I've a plant survive several freezes and continue to produce "headlets".

Of course, that sterile brown stuff you call "garden dirt" doesn't give a poor plant much incentive, now does it.....;-)

Nice list Scott, best of luck this season, looks like your off to a great start with the seedlings. Too bad about the freeze really liked those pineapples in your glog. Have you grow the Manzano before? Still haven't had a chance to try that one, I started one in the hydroponics set-up and its been a straggler from the start, just don't seem as happy as the others.

Take Care
:cheers:

jcw10tc said:
3 years, damn, I wish I was so lucky.  I have no end in sight.  But we sound exactly alike these days.  Thats probably why I got so into peppers again in the last few years, to get away from the technological thinking. 

Well, the downside of being able to retire is your age ;)...AKA old.  My older brother, who BTW retired at 55 with a 6 figure retirement, keeps telling me don't rush your life away. Not trying to do that, I'm just tired of thinking for other people, if that makes sense. I'm 58 and been working 40 or more hours a week for 44 years. I'm more than ready ;)

And yes, physical work is a fantastic release after a day of brain work! I spent 25 years as an auto technician before I moved to IT. The brain work IS more exhausting. So what do you do in IT?

I manage the networks, all the Cisco gear. I design and deploy the gear, about 80 pieces. I run 35+ servers for the school district. Mainly Winders 2012, but 5 or 6 are Linux. Most are VM's on a Window hypervisor system. I designed and implemented our Cisco phone system from scratch. It's on a VMware system, new to me but not hard. I also handle the SAN's,  I have 6 or 7, and our backups go to 2 different ones at 2 different locations. I wear a few more hats, like doing ERATE, all the purchasing, I could go on...lol
stettoman said:
Scott, broccoli is one of the hardest vegetables to freeze out. Up in our part of Tezas I've a plant survive several freezes and continue to produce "headlets".

Of course, that sterile brown stuff you call "garden dirt" doesn't give a poor plant much incentive, now does it.....;-)

I'm hoping you're correct Eric! Right now they're looking mighty limp.

I don't quite understand this comment???? ;)
beerbreath81 said:
Nice list Scott, best of luck this season, looks like your off to a great start with the seedlings. Too bad about the freeze really liked those pineapples in your glog. Have you grow the Manzano before? Still haven't had a chance to try that one, I started one in the hydroponics set-up and its been a straggler from the start, just don't seem as happy as the others.

Take Care
:cheers:

Hi Anthony!

Although we lost 7 Pineapples in the garden, we have 7 that are in pots, they came inside. I'm done planting them in the dirt. every time I do, it freezes :mope:

First time growing a Red Manzano, in the past an Orange one. They are rather hard to get going, but in your climate they should be mas happy!

So yesterday morning around 19-20°, this morning around 20-22°! As a local would say it " Dis aint Colerada" .

I spent the colder part of the day working the babies. Last year my germ rates were not the best, "sucked" is a better description. So.... I put 3 seeds in 2 places in each pot. And I did something different too. I used either 3.5" or 4" pots, filed to within 1.5's of the top with regular cheapo MG potting soil. The top 1" I used Black Gold seedling mix. Now this stuff repelled water, like car wax! So I put a bunch in a tray and added water until it was saturated. Spooned it on top of the MG and then set the pots in the tray planted and added 2.5"s of water so the MG would soak. 

Well, the germ rates are crazy this season, a good thing. So I separated and did some culling (culling hurts!)

OK it's bad picture time!

2.jpg

The last planted trays

3.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Pubes, started earlier, seeds from Dale

FiresOfNil said:
Good growing to you this season Devv.

I too will be starting early but looks like you got a waaay early start.
I expect you to have this seasons first pod pics! :P

Thanks Fire!

I started a bit early after a poor germ rate last year. NOT going there again! I can always trim them back. They hit the dirt April 1st.

Thanks for stopping by ;)

Looks good my friend. I don't have a garage door opener. Must be nice. LOL

That's some cold temps for you. I can't wait to see how the garden does with the wind barrier. Dirt day in April. I want to try and hit that goal. I see Ricks Gochu. That's a good pepper.

Thanks for sharing, stay warm and enjoy that garage door opener.

Devv said:
Thanks Fire!

I started a bit early after a poor germ rate last year. NOT going there again! I can always trim them back. They hit the dirt April 1st.

Thanks for stopping by ;)

My last frost date is May 1st so that makes more sense, only like a month ahead of me if we go by plant out dates :P

In your experience have your pubes set later in the season? I only got like 4 before I moved in October last year but I started them way later.

OCD Chilehead said:
Looks good my friend. I don't have a garage door opener. Must be nice. LOL

That's some cold temps for you. I can't wait to see how the garden does with the wind barrier. Dirt day in April. I want to try and hit that goal. I see Ricks Gochu. That's a good pepper.

Thanks for sharing, stay warm and enjoy that garage door opener.

So when I talked to my father on Christmas and told him about the opener, his response was "every house I've owned has one, just like they have toilets" LOL, he has $$$$$ I don't. For me it's a luxury, I probably never would have bought one for myself. The wife and kids chipped in ;) 

And yes the Gochu is a winner, that and the Large Orange Thai. Peppers the wife will cook with all the time.
az1000 said:
Nice start. Good luck with your grow!

Thanks!

And good luck to you this season!

moruga welder said:
Their looking good my friend !    May start a few myself this week !  WOOHOO ! 

Thanks Frank!

They're coming along, and I'm sure they out grow the lights. I'll deal with that when the time comes ;)

Hows that shoulder?

Devv said:

Yes sir! Close to 500 ponies is plenty, especially when the Hellcat was 30k more! I added Mopar strut braces and tied the frame rails together with a Petty kit. Also added a K&N cold air system. The car is simply a Beast to drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8vHxKNUk8A

Back