• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2017-Having a good time in the dirt

Another season has come and gone. Time to start a new one!

Although I did already a few weeks ago :shh: . After last years dismal (late) start I jumped in a bit early to insure I could have viable plants come dirt day. I can always cut them back, if I need to. I have to compile a list yet, but I'm growing the full spectrum. Sweets, to supers, based upon what we will actually use. Most of my list is to make LB happy; I'm really glad to see her infuse peppers in more and more dishes. Can't beat that when the wife takes interest ;)

1.jpg

Not the best pic; but the shelf is being sketchy, and I don't need all the babies bouncing off the floor.

Good luck to all this season :party:

FiresOfNil said:

My last frost date is May 1st so that makes more sense, only like a month ahead of me if we go by plant out dates :P

In your experience have your pubes set later in the season? I only got like 4 before I moved in October last year but I started them way later.

Typically ours is March 1st, but I've seen 24° the third week of March once before. I usually set the Tomatoes out March 1st if the 10 day forecast looks good. They tolerate the cooler temps better. Peppers April 1st, or they sit there and actually grow less throughout the season. If I do have a frost issue I turn the wobbler sprinklers on.

Pubes are very, very hard to grow here. I have to put them in the shade, under a Live Oak (really big tree), and they set fruit in the fall. I have these growing really early hoping for a spring set. A few flowers are forming!

Devv said:

So when I talked to my father on Christmas and told him about the opener, his response was "every house I've owned has one, just like they have toilets" LOL, he has $$$$$ I don't. For me it's a luxury, I probably never would have bought one for myself. The wife and kids chipped in ;)

And yes the Gochu is a winner, that and the Large Orange Thai. Peppers the wife will cook with all the time.

Thanks!

And good luck to you this season!

Thanks Frank!

They're coming along, and I'm sure they out grow the lights. I'll deal with that when the time comes ;)

Hows that shoulder?
Getting better my friend , nice to be able to reach over and wash my hair  lol . Still have a long road ahead but i keep working hard at it .    

moruga welder said:
Getting better my friend , nice to be able to reach over and wash my hair  lol . Still have a long road ahead but i keep working hard at it .    

Good to hear!

you have hair? I can count mine..LOL I'm up to 3 now :rolleyes:  Kids ya know.

So I'm having all kinds of fun with my bum right shoulder now. Dealing with a pinched nerve, right scapula. For now you can call me "lefty". I feel your frustration, until it calms down, I'm useless.

Currently looking for some cheese to go with that whine......

Devv said:

Good to hear!

you have hair? I can count mine..LOL I'm up to 3 now :rolleyes:  Kids ya know.

So I'm having all kinds of fun with my bum right shoulder now. Dealing with a pinched nerve, right scapula. For now you can call me "lefty". I feel your frustration, until it calms down, I'm useless.

Currently looking for some cheese to go with that whine......

sorry to hear ! guess we'll both fumble into this years grow .    :party:

moruga welder said:
sorry to hear ! guess we'll both fumble into this years grow .    :party:

Like your grow, it's gonna happen, one way or another. Complete rest seems to help, but damn that's hard, as you well know. I originally thought it was from digging, but that was too long ago. Then the wife reminded me about the day a UPS at work filled a room with smoke and I picked up a 100lb UPS (batteries), a few times that day. Lesson learned...until the next time...LOL
PaulG said:
Dude - great looking starts!

I'll be playing catch-up for the rest of the season   :lol:

Good growin' there, buddy   :party:

Thanks Paul!

Almost everything has popped so far! What a difference from last seasons start ;)

yes , a good nights sleep does seem to heal better , i notice that when i do get a good 5 to 6 hr. sleep , but unfortunately i haven't been sleeping worth a crap .

I most definitely won't be attempting to pick up anything really heavy or out of my extreme .   I  sure hope to get some seeds in their cups in the next couple of nights . Got plenty of time yet . 

moruga welder said:
yes , a good nights sleep does seem to heal better , i notice that when i do get a good 5 to 6 hr. sleep , but unfortunately i haven't been sleeping worth a crap .

I most definitely won't be attempting to pick up anything really heavy or out of my extreme .   I  sure hope to get some seeds in their cups in the next couple of nights . Got plenty of time yet . 

Have you tried sleeping in a recliner? I moved a chair into the bedroom for the "bad nights" when I'm keeping the wife awake. I have my heating pad setup there too. And they say "hard work never hurt a man" is pure crap! Damn getting old is hard...LOL But it sure beats the alternative ;)  I much rather like the saying: "you never slow down, you never grow old" <-- Tom Petty. The wife bought me this gizmo for my shoulder, it arrives (hopefully) on Friday. If it's any good I'll send you the link. We need all the help we can get!

KEEP HEALING! :dance:

Devv said:

Have you tried sleeping in a recliner? I moved a chair into the bedroom for the "bad nights" when I'm keeping the wife awake. I have my heating pad setup there too. And they say "hard work never hurt a man" is pure crap! Damn getting old is hard...LOL But it sure beats the alternative ;)  I much rather like the saying: "you never slow down, you never grow old" <-- Tom Petty. The wife bought me this gizmo for my shoulder, it arrives (hopefully) on Friday. If it's any good I'll send you the link. We need all the help we can get!

lol , i appreciate it , your spot on about all the help . I was in that stupid recliner for 2 months , tried the couch a week ago . bout worse ! been in the bed last 2 nights , but up about every couple hours with that just enough ACHE  . Guess its just gonna take time ( i hope ) and move south , lol  Gonna just hitting it hard till it disappears or wears me down first ! lol

The sleeping on that repaired shoulder might just take some time, I'm not one for sleeping on my back. But sometimes it's the only way I can sleep, but then I snore, and catch elbows and shakes from LB. No rest for the weary. Two things OTC that help sleep. Melatonin and Benadryl, but they need to be taken just before you crawl into bed. Should help for the first 4 hours ;)

What's really a shame is I know this crap :shh:

Well Scott looks like your going to have an awesome year.
I have not even started yet don't plan to till Feb 18th
I keep seeing people well on there way or getting seeds in the dirt but going to stick to my instincts this season
Wishing you all the best may your grow be green & fruitful

moruga welder said:

Devv said:

moruga welder said:
lol , i appreciate it , your spot on about all the help . I was in that stupid recliner for 2 months , tried the couch a week ago . bout worse ! been in the bed last 2 nights , but up about every couple hours with that just enough ACHE  . Guess its just gonna take time ( i hope ) and move south , lol  Gonna just hitting it hard till it disappears or wears me down first ! lol

Devv said:
The sleeping on that repaired shoulder might just take some time, I'm not one for sleeping on my back. But sometimes it's the only way I can sleep, but then I snore, and catch elbows and shakes from LB. No rest for the weary. Two things OTC that help sleep. Melatonin and Benadryl, but they need to be taken just before you crawl into bed. Should help for the first 4 hours ;)

What's really a shame is I know this crap :shh:

May I assume someone had the dreaded rotator tendons reattached? Trust me, in a year that shoulder will feel like you stole it from Supaman!! 

I had 3 tendons in my right shoulder reattached 3 years ago, followed by the most excruciating rehab I've ever experienced. I was told it is the single most painful recovery you'll ever go through.

Slept in a La Z Boy for two months, maybe longer, wearing a half-straight-jacket to immobilize the arm, haven't sat in a recliner since because of it.

The phys therapy is hell too.

But OH am I better! It's now the strongest joint in my body.

The trick is patience. And pain. And doing their stupid exercises and routines...

But I just stopped by to 'Attaboy' my buddy from Devine.... :party:

stettoman said:

May I assume someone had the dreaded rotator tendons reattached? Trust me, in a year that shoulder will feel like you stole it from Supaman!! 

I had 3 tendons in my right shoulder reattached 3 years ago, followed by the most excruciating rehab I've ever experienced. I was told it is the single most painful recovery you'll ever go through.

Slept in a La Z Boy for two months, maybe longer, wearing a half-straight-jacket to immobilize the arm, haven't sat in a recliner since because of it.

The phys therapy is hell too.

But OH am I better! It's now the strongest joint in my body.

The trick is patience. And pain. And doing their stupid exercises and routines...

But I just stopped by to 'Attaboy' my buddy from Devine.... :party:
Thanks for the prop , sure hope your right my friend . Your damn straight on the pain , they work it to some serious hurting this morning !  OUCH ! 

moruga welder said:
Thanks for the prop , sure hope your right my friend . Your damn straight on the pain , they work it to some serious hurting this morning !  OUCH ! 
Was yours open or arthroscopic? I have 4 teensy little scars I wear as a badge. Hell, he thought he was fixing TWO tendons, didn't even notice the subscap was detached till he got in there. My supraspinatus was tucked up under my skull and he didn't think he could save it, but he did!

My nickname used to be "don't let Stetto toss ya anything". That has since changed....

Good luck on the rehab! A new man will not just be a turn of phrase, trust me!!

tsurrie said:
So far so good. The plants are looking good. Keep it up!
Nice car you got there btw ;)

Thanks on the peppers and the ride! I looked at the new Challengers for 8 years before I broke down and bought one. I really love that it has the old school look from the 70's, with much more power. That and 22-24 mpg on the hwy....if you can keep yer foot out of it... ;)

Plantguy76 said:
Well Scott looks like your going to have an awesome year.
I have not even started yet don't plan to till Feb 18th
I keep seeing people well on there way or getting seeds in the dirt but going to stick to my instincts this season
Wishing you all the best may your grow be green & fruitful

Thanks Jason!

I have such a dirt day deadline that can't be missed (like last year), so I jumped in a bit early to make sure. I want wood on those stems when they hit dirt!

Back