• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

randyp said:
          Scott as Sy from the Duck show would say"Its on like Donkey Kong.".Your pods made it and I am very thankfull.I will be sending out a sauce and pod mix back at ya when things get color up here.Have a great weekend.Thanks again.
attachicon.gif
2014-07-12 014.JPG

You're more than welcome! l'm glad they got there quickly Randy. Enjoy them!

maximumcapsicum said:
Wow Scott I am loving those white Bhuts. Mine tasted great... delayed heat, floral and citrus, but they did not grow white. Just finished my first experimental sauce with 'em.

So far the tropical chinense flavors have been the most exciting over here. I tried another jigsaw and the heat is such a whallop, but the flavor is starting to get through. It's a fun heat too. You've got some real magic going on over there.

Hopefully your knee cooperates and you can get back in the swing of things too. Thanks again for the sampler... not a day has passed that I didn't get burned.
 Hi Adam,

The White Bhut's are one of new fav's. I can send seeds later on if you want to try these out. I got them from Ramon/Walkgood. I'm freezing them and the MoA's for sauces.

I've yet to try a Jigsaw, it's been so crazy busy here. I just haven't gotten around to it. I have about 20 on the table too! I'm pretty much done with the SFRB's and now it's my turn to freeze the ones I want to make sauces and powder with. I also need to collect seeds for next year. I still have a ton of green pods out there, but soon I'll be done until fall. AND that's if I decide to grow until fall. I may not. The soil needs a well deserved rest. I'm looking at wood chippers. Thinking of going with the entry level DR chipper. Pricey but a real machine; plus my daughter paid me back $2K last week. Never thought I would see that, just 3 more to go...LOL

The knee is now usable, but I intend on babying it for quite sometime. Funny how squatting (butt on heels) one day was a deal breaker. I've always said "I have good knees" well I hope to say that again. But I'm at the age where they "say" these things happen. My intention is to keep following a verse from a Tom Petty song "you never slow down you never grow old". I at least intend to go down swinging ;)

Well I can't get down and take the nice pod picks everyone is showing this season, and next year I'm raising the planting area so I can get these pics. My grow is in a ditch. I think Gary (Windchicken) has something going on there that I just discovered ;)  Thanks Gary!

Well some idiot-fool, that would be me, deleted a few pics from the camera, so here's half a haul from yesterday. I should know better!

1110.jpg

#################################################################################################################################
#                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             #
#                                                                      Just imagine this is the second pic, yeah pods everywhere ;)                                                                                        #
#                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             #
#################################################################################################################################

1111.jpg

This is one of the growdown Chuncho's quite a bushy plant!

1112.jpg

From the raised bed, a NagaBrain, this one has been producing red pods. I have one in the dirt that looks to be going Yellow. If I remember correctly one other THP member has some going yellow too. Rather cool I think! Anyone see a face in there?

1113.jpg

My thai bonchi, it's been hot so I keep it in the tray with water. Dang thing is a thirsty gal. Guess you would be too in that tiny pot! I was hoping for more pods, but I understand. "You cut all my roots off and stuck me in this tiny pot!"

But I still love you...

Devv said:
Yeah it is, this is the year one growth, I have them in partial shade under a Live Oak. I think they would fry in full Tejas sun!

Well I'm outta likes.

Oh yeah, sunshade up in the garden since May, or I get scalded fruits. Your temps are higher than mine. But it ramps up here about 10-11 AM and stays hot until dark this time of year. If they're in full sun all you can do is water them. My weekday waterings are in the afternoon, I just flood the ditches.
Well, I hadn't considered total hours in the sun, duh. Peak temp hits from around 2-4PM here, so the plants only get sun from around 9-3PM. Should be alright, I hope. 100F+ forecast all next week! Are your temps there unusually high? I wonder about other places around the Country.

It's looking like this square foot gardening method I'm trying provides a lot of mutual shade between the plants. Not much sun reaches past the canopy. It might be interesting trying to harvest, though.

Actually ours have been below what I consider normal. The hottest I've seen is 96° here, and I have a :shh: Boiler instrument thermometer from a local college that's dead on accurate. We're 200' above Devine and run a couple of degrees cooler than they do and during the winter as much as 10° above during the light winded cold fronts, as the cooler air sinks. Great for the peach trees. It's 95° out right now at 5:48PM, we have 98° forecast for 2 day next week and then back to 95° for highs.

I planted some raised beds, just ran out of dirt room in the garden. Got the landscape timbers for $1.47 each, now those are planted a lot closer.

Scott, you mentioned using your MoAs in sauces? Will you be making the typical Scotch Bonnet/Mango style sauce? I have 4 MoAs that are producing pretty good. I'm always looking for ways to use the peppers. Do you ever make fruit/mango salsas? I'm thinking that might be one way for me to go. Last season, I stuffed some with cream/cheddar cheese, then fried them in panko bread crumbs. I couldn't taste anything after the first one! I also did this with the Jamaican Mushrooms.

I don't have a recipe just yet. But Greg (Pic 1) sent me a bottle last year that was amazing, simply amazing.

I'm going to ask him how he made it. We bought Mango's last year to make a sauce but they were both bad, so we just made the hab sauce instead.

I tasted a Jigsaw this morning, the pepper has a nice fragrance, but the heat came on a bit too fast for a good taste, although I did get some sweet fruity sensations before the heat slammed in.

And I learned NOT to sip coffee while the burn is still present

1115.jpg

I cut up roughly an 1/8 of the pepper for an omelet, could have used twice the amount as the heat was rather mild. You can see how small I diced the pieces. But the flavor was pronounced in every bite. It added a nice sweetness to the omelet, a nice pleasant surprise!

Scott, you're garden continues to amaze me.

I haven't been around much since work has been so busy, so I had a few pages to catch up on. Fantastic peppers, plants and jigsaw omelet. Keep up the green thumb.

I just finished prepping the peppers you sent for storage,did not have my latex gloves.My eyebrows are lit up like a christmas tree.Hot peppers are the gift that keeps on giving. :P

Jeff H said:
Scott, you're garden continues to amaze me.

I haven't been around much since work has been so busy, so I had a few pages to catch up on. Fantastic peppers, plants and jigsaw omelet. Keep up the green thumb.

Thanks Jeff!

This has been a good year for sure, don't know if you've ate a jigsaw yet, just great in food.

jedisushi06 said:
those jigsaws are great!  Hi scott!

Hi Mikey!

I'm in total agreement, froze a bunch for saucing later on.

randyp said:
       I just finished prepping the peppers you sent for storage,did not have my latex gloves.My eyebrows are lit up like a christmas tree.Hot peppers are the gift that keeps on giving. :P

Yeah, I've been bit by that more than once. Was de-seeding Reapers and used the bathroom. I few minutes later I was squirming, doing a bit of a dance. Wife's looking at me. I said "I gotta go!" into the shower, cold water!

Hi Scott,

Your garden looks amazing, my friend!
The Funky Reaper (what Rick was so generous to share with me) plant I have is the biggest with its 3 feet hight, but it is still nothing compared to any of your plants. They are surely on steroids :-))))

Balázs

HabaneroHead said:
Hi Scott,

Your garden looks amazing, my friend!
The Funky Reaper (what Rick was so generous to share with me) plant I have is the biggest with its 3 feet hight, but it is still nothing compared to any of your plants. They are surely on steroids :-))))

Balázs

Thanks Balázs

I give the climate here credit for the large plants ;)  You will like the Funky Reaper, the pods are very nice and full of flavor. The plants don't care about summer heat. Last year mine produced all summer long here.

So a few pics, this is what I come home to when it's 98° everyday. The plants just lose too much moisture when it's this hot outside, and it's hot for ALL day. The thermometer  on the porch (in the shade) reads 100° @ 5:30 PM

1116.jpg

1117.jpg

1118.jpg

And although I watered, the soil isn't dry...
thirdcoasttx said:
Made it safe and sound! I couldn't get home fast enough today. I think a jigsaw is goin on the pizza tonight. Thanks again my friend.

And kiki says thanks for the new box.

Glad it got there so soon Dan!

Enjoy! The Jigsaw is a wonderful pepper!

randyp said:
       Thats crazy seeing the droop.I would panic bad,then again I get road rage real easy. ;)

Well last season I watered everyday from late May until early September, and they looked like that every afternoon. My garden pics are normally taken in the mornings on the weekends, I thought I would show an afternoon summer shot.

LOL on the road rage, I was in NY and my brother in-law and I went out for ice and stuff for a BBQ. I was like dude! your blood pressure. I think it's the too many people syndrome...

Devv said:

Thanks Balázs

I give the climate here credit for the large plants ;)  You will like the Funky Reaper, the pods are very nice and full of flavor. The plants don't care about summer heat. Last year mine produced all summer long here.

So a few pics, this is what I come home to when it's 98° everyday. The plants just lose too much moisture when it's this hot outside, and it's hot for ALL day. The thermometer  on the porch (in the shade) reads 100° @ 5:30 PM

1116.jpg

1117.jpg

1118.jpg

And although I watered, the soil isn't dry...

Looks similar to some of my plants when I get home. Our temps haven't hit that high yet, been in the low 90's with extremely high humidity lately. Supposed to be a "cold" front coming through tomorrow here. Are you going to be getting it as well? 

Back