• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Ethnic food

I found it Omri.Thanks for a tip. Will try to make it soon. Hey speaking about Jewish cuisine I just got Ptitim in our local store. ;) It is going to be interesting to mix it up with something else. :lol:

Ela:I am just going to go with being really HUNGRY when I finally get "feet dry" again!

Jim/TB: ...Habanero onion Queso
:beer:

Holy cow on a crutch Omri! That chicken looks as good as anything posted on THP and I'd be all over it. Sure wish you would post more of that kind of stuff. Ain't no reason not to see a (1) instead of an (0) on that throwdown crown of yours.
I'm glad you liked it. :)

schnitzeli.jpg

d2.gif
LOVE IT. Great Job Omri :clap:

Well...I had a plan for dinner tonight, but after seeing that pic...I just don't know...the plan might change! That looks amazing!

If I go thru w/ my plan, I'm going to try Beef Stifado, a Greek stew. I've not had it before, but it sounded tasty. This thread is really encouraging me to step out and try some new flavors, altho Stifado isn't really a stretch. We have no ethnic restaurants here, so if you want it, you gotta make it! :)

Glad you're working to add some ethnic spin to your cooking. :clap: It is FUN :)

Yeah, like,
Chili Juju (1)
Scoville DeVille (0)

GOOSE EGG!!!!!

I'd vote for that Omri, especially with some Habanaro / onion gravy!
TB would vote too, except you'd have to smother it in Queso! lol
No disrespect!

Cooking full of ADHD???????? :D

Ela:I am just going to go with being really when I finally get "feet dry" again!

Jim/TB: ...Habanero onion Queso
:beer:

Get tham dry fast.:) Would be grat to have some more pics and recipes added to this topic. :)

I type slower then a ....well ,waaay slower than I think...."hungry" was to follow the ...really...
as in really HUNGRY when......lol

gnslngr youre not the only one who type slow. I slammed door yesterday and my finger got on its way :crazy: so now I have better excuse for not doing much and typing slow.
1657.gif
:D

Mediterranean/Middle Eastern/Eastern European families love to start days with good breakfast. Chakchouka is one of the first meals my mother thought me how to make.

At my house I’m a short order cook for every meal.:D Boys love to have serious heat, my girl love her pancakes with jam and breakfast sausage links. After I got all of them out of my kitchen it was a time for me to think about what I would like to have for breakfast.
297.gif

Recipe and some new pics for good morning. Enjoy

Chakchouka

2 tsp butter

½ sweet pepper coarsely chopped

¼ hot pepper coarsely chopped

¼ onion coarsely chopped

1 roma plum tomato coarsely chopped

1 small garlic cloves

Salt and black pepper to taste.

2 xtra large eggs

In a large skillet melt butter and sauté onions for about 2 min. Add peppers and garlic than sauté for about 10 more min. Add tomatoes, season to taste and cook for another 10 min until thickened. With back of the spoon make some wells and crack eggs in them. Cover and cook until eggs get set.

NOTE: I did not use skillet this morning and eggs didn’t get set properly. Afrter all this cooking I wasn’t in the mood to wash one more skillet.:D In the original recipe cumin, paprika and caned tomatoes are used but I had some fresh tomatoes kicking around that had to be used.

DSC02560.jpg

DSC02561.jpg

DSC02562.jpg

The only think that was missing on my plate was this :) It was to warm for cutting. :doh:

DSC02555.jpg

Rosemary, olive oil, parmesan cheese, dry green Jamaican mushroom flakes multi grain bread :)

I 've mixed it last night to rise over night

DSC02540.jpg

DSC02542.jpg

This morning the dough was ready for baking

DSC02546.jpg

DSC02549.jpg

Now I could take a brake
coffeebath.gif
before I throw myself into TD battle :lol:

Oh, Saint Ela.....
How you make such evil things....
Chakchouka breakfast, bread that's "too warm" to slice.... evil, evil, evil!

Seriously, I'm glad you are here, you are an inspiration. Everything you do is beautiful in it's simplicity.
Some things not so simple. Like Bread! yum yum yum.
Good luck in the TD! (not that you'll need a lick of it)....

Ela, My Ela...your food is divine! May I ask one favor? I don't know if it's possible, but you and Omri write of such marvels, but I can't pronounce any of them! Is there anyway to add a pronunciation after the name of it? That breakfast you made is something I'd be willing to kick SD out of the kitchen to make myself!!!! As for your bread...sublime. I still use a bread machine for mixing because the dough on my hands queebs me out - but you know what?....You're about 4 posts away from convincing me to do it!!! That might be one of my goals this winter! You bake like my grandma used to - by touch and texture. Lost art in my opinion. You are a bakery goddess! :)

P.S. - the Beef Stifado turned out interesting. Not pic worthy - yet! Now that I have a good idea what it is, I'll do some research and tweak the recipe a bit. But definitely worth the exploration!!!!

Oh, Saint Ela.....
How you make such evil things....
Chakchouka breakfast, bread that's "too warm" to slice.... evil, evil, evil!

Seriously, I'm glad you are here, you are an inspiration. Everything you do is beautiful in it's simplicity.
Some things not so simple. Like Bread! yum yum yum.
Good luck in the TD! (not that you'll need a lick of it)....

consoling2.gif
Scov :D

DSC02566.jpg

On a serious note I’m blushing here :oops: I’m glad I have inspired some THP members to try to bake some breads. I believe in simplicity and to be honest I don’t like to use to many ingredients just to make a one tasty family meal. No need for it.

Ela, My Ela...your food is divine! May I ask one favor? I don't know if it's possible, but you and Omri write of such marvels, but I can't pronounce any of them! Is there anyway to add a pronunciation after the name of it? That breakfast you made is something I'd be willing to kick SD out of the kitchen to make myself!!!! As for your bread...sublime. I still use a bread machine for mixing because the dough on my hands queebs me out - but you know what?....You're about 4 posts away from convincing me to do it!!! That might be one of my goals this winter! You bake like my grandma used to - by touch and texture. Lost art in my opinion. You are a bakery goddess! :)

CJ I’m honored to be part of THP that I could share my humble cooking/baking knowledge with all of you. This forum helped me out to venture into new cooking areas and explore new flavors that I never was open to try before. As of adding English pronunciation of Middle Eastern/Eastern European dishes…well in the future I would do my best. For a start I would recommend you to check this web site that could help you out a bit

http://www.babylon.com/definition/CHAKCHOUKA/English

Hopefully that in between Omri and I we would keep you all busy with recipes, pics and history of food from our neck of the woods. :)

Make sure to store you bread machine and get you fingers into the bread dough. That is the only way you or anybody else would learn how to feel dough by touch. I’m only PM away and would be willing to help out as long Scov would stop wearing your undergarments. :rofl: Sorry couldn't help it. :D

P.S. - the Beef Stifado turned out interesting. Not pic worthy - yet! Now that I have a good idea what it is, I'll do some research and tweak the recipe a bit. But definitely worth the exploration!!!!

Cant wait to see some pics. Good luck with experimenting and TD :)

OkeeDokee...the Stifado never was picture-worthy... but next time for sure! Ela - I'm doing it....I'm making dough (pizza) from scratch...with hands!!!! I have a strained wrist, so the 'beautiful' experience got diminished a little, but I really tried to get into it! I still have hours to go before it's "real" dough, but I'm just tickled that I actually tried to do it! Might take pics, might not. But YOU got me to at least TRY it!!!! You are the best coach/cheerleader ever! I'm sooooo happy right now! :)...ToBeContinued........

CJ :clap: Hope you would take some pics of finished pizza. Did you put a bit of oil in the dough before mixing? It would help dough to get elastic and easy to stretch. Good luck with it. :)

I can't find the camera!!! haha But when I do, there might be pizza pics on it! But the crust came out soooo good! Yep, I used 2 Tbsp of olive oil in it! It's a bit like a focaccia bread dough, but held up to the pizza toppings very well. I've heard that vital wheat gluten helps make it thinner and crispier - what do you think? As soon as my wrist heals I'll be back at it - it was actually alot more fun than I expected...despite the sticky hands!!!! hahaha Scovie laughs at me because I have about 100 gloves - gloves for each and every occasion, so to see me working that dough bare handed was quite the sight! ;) But now I'm inspired to do it again...and again...and again!

I've heard that vital wheat gluten helps make it thinner and crispier - what do you think? As soon as my wrist heals I'll be back at it - it was actually alot more fun than I expected...despite the sticky hands!!!! hahaha Scovie laughs at me because I have about 100 gloves - gloves for each and every occasion, so to see me working that dough bare handed was quite the sight! ;) But now I'm inspired to do it again...and again...and again!

Gluten is a protein found in wheat flour,which is added to other flours such as rye because gluten helps dough rise. Also makes it elastic which gives it a chewy texture and helps dough to firms up. The more dough is being worked the more gluten is being released. Don’t be afraid to play with it, bare hands, of course. :lol:

For pizza I like to stretch dough by hands, no rolling pin at all, and I’m doing it right on baking sheet. For some reason I don’t like super flat thin pizza crust.

Even though I have some kind of experience making breads I do screw up from time to time, like I did today. I got side tracked by some things and our bread came out a bit on heavy side, wasn’t baked good. :shocked:

Insead of good bread my guys got only this for a lunch. :D

DSC02614.jpg

I’m not sure if any of you ever had chance to try Flammkuchen? You won’t be sorry if you roll up your sleeves and whoop up this delicious German Pizza. It goes well with beer. :beer: Trust me. ;)

For the crust you would need:

Flour
Oil
Salt
Water

Toppings:

Crème Fraiche or Sour Cream
Onion
Pancetta
Hot peppers ( of course) in our case I used White Habs

Enjoy :)

DSC02620.jpg

After all cooking I've done today, my cutting board is in dire need of bleaching :D

DSC02622.jpg

DSC02624.jpg

DSC02628.jpg

CJ,hope this http://www.babylon.com/definition/Flammkuchen/us_EN would help you out with pronunciation

That is one beautiful plate of fish Omri. Being the fish bum that I am, what kind of perch is that? The filets look like they came off of a pretty fair sized fish.

Thank you so much, TB. :)
That's a Nile Perch. a giant freshwater fish. nothing like the tiny Yellow Perch I've had in the US. :)

Nile perch are some pretty awesome fish. They look similar to what we call snook but with a bass like character to the body and definitely bigger! That's a lot of fish n' chips! Be a challenge but would make great sport on a fly rod.

Back