• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Ga GH's 2014 - The beginning

So it's official.

13866529297480.jpg

The 2014 season has just begun.

I planted the first six, on the right, 7 days ago. The second six a few days later.
13866529539951.jpg

First up is c. pubescen Canario.

More details later.

Hi Jason, very cool that you have pods coloring up already, but ain't it crazy that you haven't been able to plant before now. Based on the extended forecast here, I'll be planting outside this weekend under a low row cover as well, and upping the ante on passive heating by laying down IRT black plastic mulch. You've got so many plants to set out I hope you've got help. Good luck my friend! :)

Hey Jason, Any hints for growing the varieties you sent?  
Sun exposure and height, mostly is what I'm wondering about.
Here's the list of your varieties that I have going:
TSB, chocolate
BJ, chocolate
7 Pot Barrakapore #2, chocolate
Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah yellow thimbles
Sepia Serpent F5
Brown Eggs
PI441598 cross, peach
All are looking good, brother, and I can't wait to start planting out!

harris said:
Hey Jason...  legendary load out bro! Has the '08 Bhut survived so far?  Mine took the chew :(
I know I have one. I have lost a few plants, but that one has survived!
PaulG said:
Hey Jason, Any hints for growing the varieties you sent?  
Sun exposure and height, mostly is what I'm wondering about.
Here's the list of your varieties that I have going:

TSB, chocolate
BJ, chocolate
7 Pot Barrakapore #2, chocolate
Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah yellow thimbles
Sepia Serpent F5
Brown Eggs
PI441598 cross, peach
All are looking good, brother, and I can't wait to start planting out!
The PI 441598 cross was a smaller plant. Around three feet in height. This year are F3s so will still be some variance. And hope the stay peach. ;) Last year with the F2s, only one of three plants was peach, the others red.
Brown eggs never exceeded two and a half feet. A Short stocky hab built on that one. The trin scotch bon choc was about three feet in height.
All the others got big, four to six feet, the choc bhut the lesser of that group. Everything was grown with full sun from 10am to 3pm, with filtered light before and after. They all seem to respond well in those light conditions.
Will I could tell you more.
Your plants are looking so so good Paul. Keep doing what your doing!
meatfreak said:
Talking about getting crowded :lol: Pods are looking good, love the gnarly reaper cross :)
The crowd has moved. Outside now hardening under shade cloth! Put the reaper cross in a 10 gal root pouch. That pod is completely red now! Thanks Stefan!
Devv said:
Don't work too hard this weekend planting those gazillion plants you have! :D
I work my butt off, but no plants in the ground. All garden prep work is about 85% done now and everything outside. Progress was made! My body is telling me, by pain in all limbs, joints and muscles, that I accomplish something. :D
stickman said:
Hi Jason, very cool that you have pods coloring up already, but ain't it crazy that you haven't been able to plant before now. Based on the extended forecast here, I'll be planting outside this weekend under a low row cover as well, and upping the ante on passive heating by laying down IRT black plastic mulch. You've got so many plants to set out I hope you've got help. Good luck my friend! :)
Thanks Rick. Yeah... I was hoping to plant out earlier. The weather could just make up its mind. My plants suffered a bit needing to be set free from the over crowded grow shelves. I lost a few. Some I just didn't know, way in the back, had dried up. Others choked out by their neighboring plants died off. The list of varieties that I only have one plant of got larger that's for sure.
Everything should be happy from now on though.
Glad you already got the hoops up and plastic down. Will not be much longer and temps will be in the zone there!
Pinoy83 said:
hollllyyy shiiiiiit :hell:
Lol. I'm going to bet my stomach is going to say the exact same thing soon! Who am I kidding. Those word might roll off my tongue as the pain kicks in. :flamethrower:

Here are my round one plant hardening off under the shade cloth. Filled it up completely. Had to stick a few over on the other side of the yard under the umbrella with the pot ups.
13992628049670.jpg

The shade cloth is 70 to 80%. Tested a few plants out before putting them all in. They didn't droop at all, so loaded them in.

And had my helper by my side at all times.
13992628794711.jpg

Rain rain go away!
Hoping to plant in the garden this weekend. Hope I am not rained out!

Found some big a$$ habs at the grocery store. Had to buy just one. :P

About to cut it up on a pizza! Yum!

13996841627230.jpg

Happy weekend to all!
Jeff H said:
Nice shade house Jason. Your helper looks great too.
Thanks Jeff. She's a good dog.
Nulle said:
Beautiful helper you've got there :P  oh and nice peppers and shade house too.
Thank you Nulle! She's daddy's girl. Hangs out with me while I work.
Shade house has worked great! Protection from harsh storms today too!

maximumcapsicum said:
Hardening OTP! Awesome. I drove up your way last week and it was much cooler than in the concrete jungle. Amazing the difference a couple dozen miles makes. Can't wait to see your plants in the ground Jason!
You will have to drive up at some point. Definitely cools in these hills away from all that concrete. Hoping this weekend!
Also hope yours managed today. A good couple down pours rolled thru this way.
Devv said:
Woot!

So how long do you harden them off?

I like the hoop house! I just hung the 30% shade I use on the garden in an area that got half a day of sun. I'm sure yours will come out better than mine did.

Keep it green!
Devv said:
Send all that rain to Texas!

We're hurting here!
I wish I could send it! We actually needed it after a hot dry week. We broke 90°F this week. Ground was getting dry.
I'm taking the cloth off tomorrow. Looks like a few extra cloudy days will help too. Hoping the rain will play nice.

Looking good J!  Glad to see all them babies outside.  I hope for your sake it doesn't rain in GA.  But for my sake I need it bad.  Like you said it was hot, sunny, windy and dry all last week.  My plants could really use it for sure.  Enjoy that beer, hab and pizza tonight man,  your gonna need a good nights sleep to get them plants in the ground!  

I'd be happy to send rain to all of you in return for some 75 degree weather!

Next week I'll be complaining about the heat and having to water because my
irrigation is not set up yet!

Gotta love growing peppers!

I hope your plan to plant out this weekend comes to fruition, Jason!

Back