• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Gassy's 2012/2013 Glog thingy

Well, Spring has arrived here in the Land of Oz and it's all starting to happen. I thought I would quit being a lazy bones and start a glog this season. Even though I'm so far behind where I had planned to be at this point, things are running along smoothly enough. I released some Neoseiulus californicus predator mites about a month ago to take care of my broad mite problem and so far, they are being amazing. A month later and I have yet to see any new signs of broad mite activity. It is still early days though and time will tell just how effective the little buggers are. And of course, I still have to get on top of the fruit fly problem (not looking forward to that one). With Spring here and new pods forming, the little bastages can't be too far around the corner. :(

A few piccies to get the show on the road. Not gonna backtrack or anything now... just some random shots of some of what's going on.

Rooster Spur - putting out first pods:

IMG_8018.JPG

Aji Amarillo x Yellow Trinidad Scorpion F2's:

IMG_8039.JPG

Naga Jolokia Purple x Hot Summer F1:

IMG_8051.JPG

Naga Jolokia Purple x Hot Summer F1:

IMG_8035.JPG

No chemicals in use here anymore - ladybug and lacewing eggs: :cool:

IMG_8005.JPG

Overwinters...

NOT Dorset Naga - coming into third year:

IMG_8002.JPG

Trinidad Scorpion ButchT - coming into third year:

IMG_8043.JPG

CGN 21500 - coming into second year:

IMG_8032.JPG

CGN 21566 - coming into second year:

IMG_8046.JPG

Pimenta da Neyde - coming into second year:

IMG_8029.JPG

Thanks for looking! :dance:

man I would of gave up after the first month... Looking forward to watchin your tovarii seedling grow into a healthy plant....

Haha. Usually I do give up around the month point when it comes to domestic species. Wilds I wait a bit longer on though because I know they can take some time.

Damn Aussie Sun... :mad:

IMG_8601.JPG

It really is brutal....

IMG_8377.JPG

Not a bad bounce back though, aye?

IMG_8378.JPG

"Twice Stabbed" ladybug. Got heaps of these getting around ATM. Fast little buggers... hard to get a shot of!

IMG_8623.JPG

Aussie Ironbark pumpkin. Haven't grown pumpkins since I was a little fella (one of my favourite things to grow back then).

IMG_8597.JPG

Nice thick stem on young plant.

IMG_8626.JPG

One of the gardens. TS ButchT, Bonda ma Jacques, NOT Dorset and Bombay Morich.

IMG_8630.JPG

Those plants in those beds are looking awesome gas. Did they get a good hiding from those winds last week???

Gassy lookin aweome! your plants are lovin that southern sun! even the young starts are looking great!

Thanks Bee! The young starts look great... except for the scald? :lol:

One good thing about the sun here though is it makes 'em freakin' hot! :onfire:

Those plants in those beds are looking awesome gas. Did they get a good hiding from those winds last week???

Thanks Trips! That wind... how was that!? Everything copped a good flogging but thankfully no damage (maybe something to do with all the silica I've been feeding 'em??). Kept having to go out and pick up blown over plants though. I was raging, aye!

How did your guys hold up?

Some more poddage....

Rocoto Aji Largo

IMG_8605.JPG

Limon. Awesome plant. So compact and productive!

IMG_8610.JPG

NOT Dorset

IMG_8634.JPG

CGN 21500

IMG_8635.JPG

Tabascies

IMG_8655.JPG

Cheiro White

IMG_8666.JPG

Aji Russian Yellow

IMG_8670.JPG

Spanish Naga overwinter. Not the healthiest plant... got smashed by broad mite last season. Surprised it even made it!

IMG_8673.JPG

Alien face #2

IMG_8675.JPG

Thanks for looking! :dance:

Awesome news with the tovarii. I better get mine in some dirt if it's taking that long!! It is always cool to watch a wilted plant come back. Chiles are big boys for sure. I usually don't water mine til they show some kind of stress.

Wow you've got some awesome growth there. It's all looking great. :dance:

I'm glad the good bug releases have worked for you. From the looks of the aphids around my place I might have to go down that road at some point later in the season. My overwinters look all gnarly so I'm thinking it might be mites. :(

Oh and that pumpkin might need a bigger pot soon ;)

Awesome news with the tovarii. I better get mine in some dirt if it's taking that long!! It is always cool to watch a wilted plant come back. Chiles are big boys for sure. I usually don't water mine til they show some kind of stress.

Crazy thing is, that stress isn't signifying watering time... that's just our sun! :crazy: It'll do that to plants regardless of how well watered they are kept.

I have to look into digging up more patches next season. You can imagine what fun I have growing in pots.... and black pots at that.

Wow you've got some awesome growth there. It's all looking great. :dance:

I'm glad the good bug releases have worked for you. From the looks of the aphids around my place I might have to go down that road at some point later in the season. My overwinters look all gnarly so I'm thinking it might be mites. :(

Thanks moo! Yeah, I'm due for another release though. I have about 10 or so plants showing broad mite reinfestation now which I had to soap the other day. Still nothing compared to what I usually get this time of the year though.... so at least the Californicus mites did/are doing something! Overall, I am quite impressed indeed.

Next week I will be releasing two types of predator mites... Californicus again and another that targets thrip and whitefly larvae (and will munch broad mite as an alternate food source if their preferred food sources are unavailable). Won't keep the whitefly from coming in (unfortunately what appears to be the biggest issue) but will hopefully take care of the bloody thrips here and hopefully at the very least help weaken the whitefly population in my immediate area.

Oh and that pumpkin might need a bigger pot soon ;)

Thank you moo.

What would I do without your pearls of wisdom? :P :rofl:

Loving all the early pod shots. You're gonna be swimming in early season pods very quickly, my friend. :party:

Thanks Doc! Early pods is what I need too. Before them bloody fruit fly kick into gear! My original plan was to have everything going and producing by this stage in the season, but unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances causing a delay in half of my starts, I only got half way there. :( Next season perhaps.

Next season?? Come on gas ... live in the now!! ;) about those winds gas ... yeah my overwinters got absolutely smashed but kept all there fruit and flowers but lost all there leaves ... pretty mental. My new season plants were sheltered though and look better then I had hoped a while ago. Stay positive. Until next time

Next season?? Come on gas ... live in the now!! ;) about those winds gas ... yeah my overwinters got absolutely smashed but kept all there fruit and flowers but lost all there leaves ... pretty mental. My new season plants were sheltered though and look better then I had hoped a while ago. Stay positive. Until next time

True. It wouldn't be the first time I've been guilty of chasing that carrot on a stick they call the future..... ;)

Here she is....

IMG_8727.JPG

Looks almost identical to Hot Summer. Thick skin too like the Hot Summer. Gonna munch 'er down soon and see how she goes for taste.

Some more ripenin' action...

Rooster Spur

IMG_8744.JPG

CGN 16941

IMG_8761.JPG

:dance:

And this is interesting...

IMG_8729.JPG

The mystery volunteer's first flower. It has to be either Chenzo or a cross of some type. My money is on Chenzo.

Whatever it is though, it's a mini beast!

IMG_8715.JPG

IMG_8714.JPG

Hows tovarii comin along?

Very slllooowly...

IMG_8736.JPG

Just starting to grow it's first set of true leaves now!

Back