• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hi all

thoms said:
but this is very effective, no one dies

That's the goal, I suppose.

Once the plants grow and shade the plastic, it shouldn't get warm.  But the mulch was recommended, to keep the ground cool while they're small.

Putting plastic over soil is a method that some people use to heat it up and kill pests and weed seed.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
Can you estimate how many hectares/acres your pepper plants cover?
thoms said:
only ½ hectare sir
For those of us in the US that's 1¼ acres.

solid7 said:
Lay down some *actual* mulch.  Straw, leaves, pine needles, something.  I'm not sure what you have available in your area.  But you want some kind of organic material to diffuse the sunlight, and keep the plastic from heating up.
KevinThePepperhead said:
You may want to try and replace the fabric with an organic(living/once alive) mulch, such as wood chips. This will keep moisture and protect roots from heat.

Does anybody realize the amount of organic mulch, + cost and labor to spread it over 1¼ acres? We're talking a small-independent chili grower trying to eek out a living in an area we have no idea we haven't a clue about? Maybe he can look into it for his at his next planting but I don't think he can replace/add it this season.

@v Thoms.... Please stop posting so many redundant pix as it takes forever to scroll through them on a computer as opposed to a phone.

Does anybody realize the amount of organic mulch, + cost and labor to spread it over 1¼ acres? We're talking a small-independent chili grower trying to eek out a living in an area we have no idea we haven't a clue about? 

I'm a plain old cracker vanilla white guy.  I use the general formula of (1) 100lb straw bale for every 1000 sq ft.  That's work that I can easily do myself in a day, for a planted acre.  I make no claims with regards to availability of equivalent materials in a given area.  But I always assume that somebody who is growing for a living, can outwork my ass on any given day.

I normally work in an office.  When I have "inbetween" time, I still like to work outdoors.  It's not unusual to lay down 3 pallets of cypress or hardwood mulch (at 2 cu. ft per bag, 80 bags per pallet) in a single day, with a crew of 2 or 3.  Assuming that you can afford the materials, and that you don't necessarily have to do it all in one day, it's still a one man affair.  Especially if you're no stranger to work.  I can tell that the OP is no stranger to hard work.

Realization for me, isn't the issue.  Advice was asked, and I was just trying to translate into some reasonable facsimile, what that might look like for somebody else.  Obviously, the best advice will always be obtained regionally, so any/all advice obtained in this forum, from those regionally disconnected, is worth the price that was paid...

For those of us in the US that's 1¼ acres.
w6YfFmM.jpg

solid7 said:
I use the general formula of (1) 100lb straw bale for every 1000 sq ft.

@ OP?thoms.... to replace the plastic row cover and switch to straw you'll need roughly 55 bales of straw. Forgot to ask, can you get bales of straw/hay in Indonesia?

w6YfFmM.jpg

@ OP?thoms.... to replace the plastic row cover and switch to straw you'll need roughly 55 bales of straw. Forgot to ask, can you get bales of straw/hay in Indonesia?

It's half of that.  The rows are raised and cultivated. ;)

Unless OP actually gave only the planted acreage, and not the total field size.

w6YfFmM.jpg

I have difficulty getting it because the rice harvest season has passed

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

solid7 said:

It's half of that.  The rows are raised and cultivated. ;)

Unless OP actually gave only the planted acreage, and not the total field size.
too much work for it. I do it myself. I chose mulch because I was fast at doing it

hi i will use NPK 16-16-16 fertilizer for initial fertilization and not use kno3. What do you think?. oh yea, how do you kill aphids, thrips

thoms said:
oh yea, how do you kill aphids, thrips

Please, you expect us to buy that you have grown huge 1+acre pepper patches for years now, and you don't know how to rid your plants of the most common problems we suffer, pests..? Problems that could decimate a pepper patch..?

Or are you looking for the answer that tells you how to do it for the least cost...? I can understand that. As it would probably take many gallons of neem(or your pesticide of choice) and many hours of work every week or 2 to treat your 1.25acre pepper patch...
Lets us know when you find that answer...

jmo

acs1 said:
Please, you expect us to buy that you have grown huge 1+acre pepper patches for years now, and you don't know how to rid your plants of the most common problems we suffer, pests..? Problems that could decimate a pepper patch..?

Or are you looking for the answer that tells you how to do it for the least cost...? I can understand that. As it would probably take many gallons of neem(or your pesticide of choice) and many hours of work every week or 2 to treat your 1.25acre pepper patch...

jmo

Considering his success, Thoms glog - Page5, I'd say it's advice as he may not have Neem in Indonesia?

acs1 said:

jmo

every year a different problem, the pesticides that I use are not able to clean thrips, aphids, maybe their immunity increases. I can't possibly use natural ingredients for many of these plants and also use chemicals forever. I want them both to continue to be used to destroy thrips and aphid immunity

Back