• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Hottest sauce ??

fatalliman said:
doesn't anyone use real chiles anymore?
as far as the toothpick, if you want the heat use an eye dropper
IMOO
anon

Sure do but people still tell me it needs to be hotter. Thought I would try something new. I dont think you can get an eye dropper in the vial, the opening is too narrow, you can't get the stuff to pour or anything like that. Maybe a stir stick will work though. :lol:

DEFCON Creator said:
Perhaps, in time, we'll have them chromatographed, but not right now.
[open hijack]
Is this chromatography the similar to what you do in organic lab or does it involve more than that? Having just graduated with a degree in biology this stuff really intrigues me and I want to learn! I did several diff kinds(can't remember them all at the moment) of chromatography just curious if you know a little more about it! Thanks [/hijack]

There are many ways to do chromatography. Usually organic students are only exposed to gas chromatography. Capsacium would require HPLC because the chemical capsacium isn't volatile enough to use in GC. It's still something that you couldn't do (at least very well) in an academic lab, because to test an unknown concentration, you have to have run many standards and have well established experimental parameters.

Speaking of which, I'm so not looking forward to teaching this semester...

dreamtheatervt said:
There are many ways to do chromatography. Usually organic students are only exposed to gas chromatography. Capsacium would require HPLC because the chemical capsacium isn't volatile enough to use in GC. It's still something that you couldn't do (at least very well) in an academic lab, because to test an unknown concentration, you have to have run many standards and have well established experimental parameters.

Speaking of which, I'm so not looking forward to teaching this semester...
Ahh I knew I remembered the HPLC from somewhere. I think we just had to learn about it. I thought we did that one but maybe not. I know for sure we did the GC and we also did thin layer chromatography and a few others. I will say this. I am glad I am done with that lab cause my pothead lab partner woudlnt quit breaking stuff, couldn't measure stuff right, and trying to copy my work! Ugh sorry this is way off topic.

Back to hot stuff... :lol:

P_Schneider said:
Tina Brooks said:
I believe that the vials of extract that I received from Muso are pharma grade. That would make them about as hot as you can get. Even hotter than Defcon 0, I'd warrant.

Fwiw, though, if you want the hottest non-extract sauce, I doubt you'll find hotter than Goatpepper Mash, but since we're still out of goatpeppers, you'd have to settle for Hurricane Mash.

The fellows are right, though. If you want better than 1 million scovies... you've no choice but to eat extract.

T.

Well I gave this stuff (Muso's) a shot over the weekend. I made a batch of BBQ sauce and added about 3 toothpick swirls in the sauce. I then touched my tongue to the toothpick but didn't really feel the heat. I got a tingle on my tongue but that was about it. I am hoping that the Cap made it into the sauce and adds more heat but until I get a chance to do up some chicken or something I wont know for sure. Just tasting the sauce does give me a sense of more heat to it but until you can actually cook with the stuff it's hard to judge. I did not notice any change to the flavor of the sauce either. I make 12 pint batches of my sauce so say 3 drops (equivilent) of Muso's cap spread over 12 pints. We shall soon find out how hot this stuff is now.

3 toothpick swirls for 12 pints? If you bought from me and you asked, I probably gave you a mathematical formula and also suggested that you add as much as you need. My hot and your hot are probably way far apart. Try dipping the toothpick straight in the sauce and stick it on your tongue. perhaps diluted approx 12,000,000:1 will cut the heat a fair amount. How many toothpick swirls make up 12 pints?? Simple math. Also, if you bought from me I guarantee satisfaction, and offer refunds to any person that is not 100% satisfied. I've only had half a dozen people tops that have said they're not happy. Only one person has taken a refund. There are always going to be the few that no matter what you do, they won't be happy. Write to me, tell me why you're not happy and I'll work on that refund for you. I'm not sure which of my many customers you are.

Frank/Tinner, I sent you a little tiny vial of really hot capsicum. Perhaps you can share your findings with Mr. Schneider. :-) This is part of a new batch. I think the remnants of the old batch may have separated a little bit. It is entirely possible that the last few that were shipped weren't as hot as they could have been. I use this stuff everyday and the red savina is like ketchup to me. Any natural sauce barely gets me. I use the capsicum to bump up sauces to a heat level I can enjoy.

So there's that. ;-)

Mike/Muso

Paul, If you're having a hrd time getting it out of the bottle, get a bigger bottle. The little vials are for samplig before you make the committment to a larger bottle. Try heating up the vial a little bit under running hot water (lid on tight) as it is a thick oil. Heating it will help it run. Think molasses.....

Also, SHU ratings are a funny thing. It is how much water is needed to still have DETECTABLE heat

The Scoville Heat Unit is the closest thing to a standard for measuring the heat in a pepper. It is a measurement that involves adding sugar to a solution until one can no longer taste the pepper. The more sugar, the higher the spice, the greater measurement in Scoville units. Created in 1912, there are now more scientific measurements, but they generally use the Scoville units.
The generally accepted Scoville Heat Unit ratings are:
Mild: 0 - 5,000
Medium: 5,000 - 20,000
Hot: 20,000 - 70,000
Extreme: 70,000 - 300,000

[According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the Red Savina Habanero is the hottest pepper on Earth. It has garnered a rating of 570,000 Scoville Heat Units.]

The Scoville scale is a measure of the hotness of a chile pepper. These fruits of the Capsicum genus contain capsaicin, a chemical compound which stimulates thermoreceptor nerve endings in the tongue, and the number of Scoville heat units (SHU) indicates the amount of capsaicin present. Many hot sauces use their Scoville rating in advertising as a selling point.

It is named after Wilbur Scoville, who developed the Scoville Organoleptic Test in 1912. As originally devised, a solution of the pepper extract is diluted in sugar water until the 'heat' is no longer detectable to a panel of (usually five) tasters; the degree of dilution gives its measure on the Scoville scale. Thus a sweet pepper, containing no capsaicin at all, has a Scoville rating of zero, meaning no heat detectable even undiluted. Conversely, the hottest chiles, such as habaneros, have a rating of 300,000 or more, indicating that their extract has to be diluted 300,000-fold before the capsaicin present is undetectable. 15 Scoville units is equivalent to one part capsaicin per million, thus the highest concentration corresponds to 15,000,000 Scoville units. The greatest weakness of the Scoville Organoleptic Test is its imprecision, because it relies on human subjectivity.

Soooo.... not only is a Scoville Heat Unit highly subjective, but once again, my hot and someone else's hot are probably two very different things. I can barely feel the heat in a jalapeno, so how can I give a good rating of how hot something is. I still blush at meeting Tina and having her taste some of my mild sauce. (Sorry Tina).

My toothpick test on eBay is not to burn your face off, but to show you DETECTABLE heat on the tip of a toothpick swished in a CUP of WARM water. If you mix it in a CUP of WARM water and it tingles, well I'd say that's pretty damn hot, considering the amount of dilution. And don't forget, oil and water don't mix. Better yet, instead of dipping in a second toothpick, just drink the water and tell me it's not hot. And that's just the amount of capsicum on the tip of a toothpick.

Tada...... LOL!!

Hi Mike,

Are you selling the new batch now? If so I am definitely interested. Either post here, or PM me !

I bought some from you (ebay), and honestly have not played with it. Tried dipping a toothpick in it, but i'm not really sure that I actually got any capsaicin (it was hot but not as hot as I would have expected). I am planning some real tests this weekend when I make some wings and chili.

Let me know about the new batch!

-=john=-

Well. I finally tried the first batch Muso sent me. I dipped the toothpick in warm water, swished it around, then licked the toothpick clean. Nice heat level, taste wasn't bad. Cooked top of my mouth and my tongue. Was still cooking as I wrote.
Now, I just dipped the toothpick and skipped the water. Definitely gives an endorphin rush. I thought it tasted better after the water wash. Got a real burn here now, more than 357 Reserve at 600sk. Got a runny nose and lasting heat.I think I'll keep dipping this stuff so next time I try something somebody says is hot, I probably won't blink. :(
I just the other vial Muso sent. Probably has 6 drops in it. I'll wait a day or 2 until my tongue and mouth heal. :)
( only used 3/4" of the toothpick) Not bad stuff. :(

LOL!!! Frank, if you think that one is hot, wait until you try the little vial with the 6 drops in it. MUCH hotter. Freaky Psycho HOT.... ;-) Yeah, every once in awhile I like dipping a toothpick in the stuff and sticking it in my mouth, just a little tiny bit on the toothpick though. I might be crazy, but I ain't shtupid!

Makes a nice tea though, doesn't it? ROFL!!!!!!

$99.00 an ounce. Wanna buy 16 ounces? I've had a few restaurants in the U.S. that have bought the big one, and a guy in Montreal. I'd love to get out of the small market and go bigger, wholesale. The U.S market is 10 times bigger than the Canadian market, plus hot is still relatively new to our Igloo Living culture. Hard to grow in the snow. Polar bears eating it all the time too. Get the plants caught in my skidoo track.

Well, I just (15 minutes ago), licked the dipper clean from John's Zero. Still have a tingle. 8/10 on flavor/heat scale.
Yours was 6/10. Of course, I don't actually have any tastebuds. This is getting habit-forming. Neither one seemed to need a cracker or anything else to follow up. I'll dig yours out. :)

tinner666 said:
Well, I just (15 minutes ago), licked the dipper clean from John's Zero. Still have a tingle. 8/10 on flavor/heat scale.
Yours was 6/10. Of course, I don't actually have any tastebuds. This is getting habit-forming. Neither one seemed to need a cracker or anything else to follow up. I'll dig yours out. :)

Frank.... TMI!! I don't wanna know what you did with John's Dipper and if he wants to call it his Zero, that's between you and him. OK, just kidding folks....

Go easy Bro. We don't need any more adrenaline overloads and system short circuits!!!!

The thing I hate is every once in awhile I'll get the freakin' hiccups that won't go away, and they hurt like a son-of-a-gun!!!! (notice I'm trying to be polite!) Occasionally I'll have a sneeze attack. All that with the typical sweating buckets, runny nose, drooling... or maybe the drooling's just from the booze.

That's some heat. Might need a tracthea. :( Tearing, burning. Awesome. :( 4/12 flavor/heat. Hope the heart doesn't stop. 8) Very runny nose. I think it removed the top of my mouth. Endorphin Heaven! Probably need tinfoil in the bathroom in the morning. I'm gonna add this to the bottle of Frank's Extra hot somebody bought me. Getting bearable after 4 minutes. At this heat level, I can't tell any chemical taste. More smoky to me.
Don't believe I can afford to buy it though. Nice Product. Feel free to add this to your E-bay listing. Rubbing tongue to top of mouth halps keep the heat coming. :)

Don't need anything to follow up with, such as candy of cracker. Not sure why you and John both say to be careful with this stuff though. :D

tinner666 said:
That's some heat. Might need a tracthea. :( Tearing, burning. Awesome. :( 4/12 flavor/heat. Hope the heart doesn't stop. 8) Very runny nose. I think it removed the top of my mouth. Endorphin Heaven! Probably need tinfoil in the bathroom in the morning. I'm gonna add this to the bottle of Frank's Extra hot somebody bought me. Getting bearable after 4 minutes. At this heat level, I can't tell any chemical taste. More smoky to me.
Don't believe I can afford to buy it though. Nice Product. Feel free to add this to your E-bay listing. Rubbing tongue to top of mouth halps keep the heat coming. :)

Don't need anything to follow up with, such as candy of cracker. Not sure why you and John both say to be careful with this stuff though. :D

Standard discalimer. Be careful with this stuff. I suppose it's better than saying use it liberally and make sure you get some in your sister's eye. Oh, and make sure you leave it out and marked "Mmmm, Candy" for the kids. LOL!!!!!!!! So we tell EVERYONE to be careful with it. I betcha it's part of John's speech, like 'Hi, how are ya', 'cept he says 'Be careful with it'

I thought it already was in chewing tobacco.

I can remember back when I was a kid, going out to restaurants and taking a little piece of napkin, unscrewing the salt and pepper shakers, dumping a little or each into a little square of napkin and covering the opening of opposite shakers with the other spice. Screw the lids back on. If you can picture it, there was a little hidden pocket of pepper in the salt shaker and vice-versa. Ok, really it was yesterday. Could you imagine what a little capsicum would do to those little bottles of Tabasco sauce that most restaurants have available?????? I'm all growed up now, but it woulda been fun back with some of my friends. You know, the buggers that put 5 tablespoons of salt in your coffee when you go for a leak....

After those 3 vials I tested last night, I'm wondering where to go from there. What do you suppose is hotter? That stuff wasn't diluted in any sauce. (Don't think I want to mess with Blair's 16M crystal). That stuff was probably hotter than my bottle of Final Answer. Just curious. :)

I experimented more with my extract from Muso yesterday at lunch. I must have the "bad batch" as I shook the vial up, dipped a stirrer in it (all the way to the bottom), and licked it clean. My mouth got warm-hot, but no where near where crazy hot (unless I have actually fried my taste buds off :)

Muso, when you get the new batch done, please let me know so I can buy some and try it out!

I was planning on trying ZERO this weekend. MAybe i'll push that "testing" up.

Back