• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Hottest sauce ??

i sincerely want to thank you all for the warm welcome. i was afraid my question would be met with sarcasm, a flip or smartass answer. you guys are a class act!

kamikaze cowgirl said:
i sincerely want to thank you all for the warm welcome. i was afraid my question would be met with sarcasm, a flip or smartass answer. you guys are a class act!

Why the hell would we do that? You must have us mixed up with some other forum. The more chilehead lunatics here, the better. :shocked:

...and welcome!!

kamikaze cowgirl said:

Some of are Canadian, Eh. We don't have a choice. :shocked: LOL!

Glad you were made to feel welcome.

~M~

kamikaze cowgirl said:

You're very welcome. Not every guy on the planet is a jackass, ya know(but i do come kinda close though):shocked:

imaguitargod said:
CaJohn's Ace is a little hotter than 150,000 SHU but is fantastic...

Ace is that hot? Either I need to adjust my internal calibration for heat, or someone has it over-rated. To get it that hot, there would have to be extract and Ace doesn't use extract (unless they changed the recipe, in which case I think they would just give the sauce a different name). Flavor-wise though, I love it; I like actually seeing the red savina pulp in the sauce.

I could have over estimated. The Red Savina is around 500,000 SHU and that's what he uses in the sauce. With the added ingredients it brings the SHU level down....anyone concure with this line of thinking or am I waaaayy off? :mouthonfire:

Dave's 1/4 bottle

Well dude I had a tablespooon of Daves Ultimate on a bet in TN over Memorial Day Weekend. I had Dave's Ultimate before so I thought I would be fine. The problem was I didn't drink anything afterwards. When we got home one hour later, I had huge stomach pains that I never experienced before. I thought for sure I was going to the hospital. However, I puked up a few times and I felt better right away...

Cheers,

radikal said:
i have a question, the father of my girlfriend is mexican and can handle every hot sauce i make im try, the last i try was dave insanity hot sauce and he puts like 10 big drop in each taco he made without crying !!!

i want to knwo something : i hear that Z... beyond... is the hottest sauce is it true ? i want to stay in regular sauce not going to extract that will cost 35$ a bottle so can you tell me which one buy to make im spit fire ?

so, any luck??

Jersey True Rating?

Ryan Bell said:
By the way, Dave's Insanity Sauce is only 51,000 Scoville. Hardly anything compared to even something like Blair's Mega Death rated at 550,000 or Jersey Death which is supposed to be over 1,000,000.

Here's an answer to "what are the hottest?": http://www.sweatnspice.com/hottest_sauces.php

I am somewhat skeptical of the 1,100,000 rating of Jersey Death. I agree its taste is better than Megadeath, not by much, but I mixed in something and it did kick it up alot. I tried one drop on a piece of chinese pork and it didn't burn me as I expected. Maybe I will have to try this 50/50 on a dozen wings or so. I did that with megadeath and I was sweating..

Cheers,

Wow

dreamtheatervt said:
You need to add that place to my thread about hot sauce stores. I'm just the kind of Clark Griswold who will drive 3 hours out of my way to visit a hot sauce store ;)

You are worse than me!! LOL. I would drive 2 hrs probably but not 3. If Nick opens a store in Manhattan I will go 90 mins with no traffic on a weekend late morning to go visit the shop and hang out in NYC.

Cheers,

Mad Dog and Megadeath

tinner666 said:
I just tried some Mad Dog 357 at 600K s.u. and it was comparable to Mega Death. Has a syrupy taste to it. :o
Booth guy described it as "brutal". He kept looking from me to the crackers expecting me to need one to cool off. I was able to enjoy the heat for about 5 minutes and the tingle for at least 15 minutes. I did feel a little sweaty, but not bad. ;)

These 2 really are the same heat level. I thought Ulimate Insanity was right up there as well but found out it was only 90k SU. LOL.. Slap my ass and call me sally is right there too maybe slightly hotter than those 2.

Cheers,

Ratings

Muso2112 said:
Paul, If you're having a hrd time getting it out of the bottle, get a bigger bottle. The little vials are for samplig before you make the committment to a larger bottle. Try heating up the vial a little bit under running hot water (lid on tight) as it is a thick oil. Heating it will help it run. Think molasses.....

Also, SHU ratings are a funny thing. It is how much water is needed to still have DETECTABLE heat

The Scoville Heat Unit is the closest thing to a standard for measuring the heat in a pepper. It is a measurement that involves adding sugar to a solution until one can no longer taste the pepper. The more sugar, the higher the spice, the greater measurement in Scoville units. Created in 1912, there are now more scientific measurements, but they generally use the Scoville units.
The generally accepted Scoville Heat Unit ratings are:
Mild: 0 - 5,000
Medium: 5,000 - 20,000
Hot: 20,000 - 70,000
Extreme: 70,000 - 300,000

[According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the Red Savina Habanero is the hottest pepper on Earth. It has garnered a rating of 570,000 Scoville Heat Units.]

The Scoville scale is a measure of the hotness of a chile pepper. These fruits of the Capsicum genus contain capsaicin, a chemical compound which stimulates thermoreceptor nerve endings in the tongue, and the number of Scoville heat units (SHU) indicates the amount of capsaicin present. Many hot sauces use their Scoville rating in advertising as a selling point.

It is named after Wilbur Scoville, who developed the Scoville Organoleptic Test in 1912. As originally devised, a solution of the pepper extract is diluted in sugar water until the 'heat' is no longer detectable to a panel of (usually five) tasters; the degree of dilution gives its measure on the Scoville scale. Thus a sweet pepper, containing no capsaicin at all, has a Scoville rating of zero, meaning no heat detectable even undiluted. Conversely, the hottest chiles, such as habaneros, have a rating of 300,000 or more, indicating that their extract has to be diluted 300,000-fold before the capsaicin present is undetectable. 15 Scoville units is equivalent to one part capsaicin per million, thus the highest concentration corresponds to 15,000,000 Scoville units. The greatest weakness of the Scoville Organoleptic Test is its imprecision, because it relies on human subjectivity.

Soooo.... not only is a Scoville Heat Unit highly subjective, but once again, my hot and someone else's hot are probably two very different things. I can barely feel the heat in a jalapeno, so how can I give a good rating of how hot something is. I still blush at meeting Tina and having her taste some of my mild sauce. (Sorry Tina).

My toothpick test on eBay is not to burn your face off, but to show you DETECTABLE heat on the tip of a toothpick swished in a CUP of WARM water. If you mix it in a CUP of WARM water and it tingles, well I'd say that's pretty damn hot, considering the amount of dilution. And don't forget, oil and water don't mix. Better yet, instead of dipping in a second toothpick, just drink the water and tell me it's not hot. And that's just the amount of capsicum on the tip of a toothpick.

Tada...... LOL!!

For us chiliheads I dont think 300,000 is extreme. The average person on the street, hell yeah it is.

Cheers,

Back