• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

I love my guns

Noting beats the ol' standard issue M-16 triple burst setting...miss using that sumbitch at the range every year....Hollywood Marine!!? Lmao I also miss busting those guys balls , graduated from the island but pulled DI duty at MCRD San Diego, go figure...anyways back on topic...

M-16 all day...could shoot the hell out of that thing...expert riflemen all 12 years I was in, even though I didn't have to go to the range about 5 of the 12 years I was in due to deploying etc...but for anyone that has had the privelage to shoot one of those awesome M-16's knows exactly what I'm talking about...just an unstoppable , piece of machinery IMO...wish I was able to put one in my armory next to my S&W's , Ruger's and Mossberg's....

AlabamaJack said:
I am prepared from 3 feet to 300 yards...that's what I normally shoot...but that ought 6 will reach out there a lot further than 300
Same with my Ruger M-77V heavy barrel in .22-250 Remington with a Sierra 55 gr, HPBT.
That is if the wind isn't blowing. :rofl:
sp33d said:
Noting beats the ol' standard issue M-16 triple burst setting...miss using that sumbitch at the range every year....Hollywood Marine!!? Lmao I also miss busting those guys balls , graduated from the island but pulled DI duty at MCRD San Diego, go figure...anyways back on topic...

M-16 all day...could shoot the hell out of that thing...expert riflemen all 12 years I was in, even though I didn't have to go to the range about 5 of the 12 years I was in due to deploying etc...but for anyone that has had the privelage to shoot one of those awesome M-16's knows exactly what I'm talking about...just an unstoppable , piece of machinery IMO...wish I was able to put one in my armory next to my S&W's , Ruger's and Mossberg's....
Do you miss "Mount MF" at Pendleton? ;)

So what's the worst firearm anyone has ever bought?

I have a few terrible ones that sit in my cabinet right now:

Intratech TEC-22:  So this thing is a pile.  It's all plastic with a pot-metal bolt, and a 3 inch barrel, chambered in .22lr.  It allegedly is able to use Ruger 10/22 mags, but in fact I haven't found one mag this thing likes feeding ammo from.  Jams constantly, lots of stovepipes and double feeds.  One time at the range it actually burst-fired about 7 rounds.  I keep it because it looks tacticool.

Lorcin .380:  Okay, so this gun, I am actually terrified to shoot.  I have read reviews online of them blowing up in people's faces, the slide coming seperated from the frame and flying back in the shooters face, etc etc.  Lorcin was one of the shadiest firearm manufacturers ever.  Just google that company name.  I have never fired this pistol, I bought it merely because of the strange history involving this firearm.  That, and I bought it this year for $35 at a gunshop.

Rohm RG-14:  This is absolutely the worst firearm I own.  People who know their history might recognize this as the pistol used by John Hinckley, Jr. in his assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan.  It's a six shot .22lr revolver.  The frame wobbles all over the place, nothing is tight.  The screws that hold the grips in are down all the way, but you can move the grips up and down, side to side.  The sights are terrible.  The metal looks super cheap, like cast iron.  If you thought I got the Lorcin cheap at $35, you'll be surprised to hear I bought this gun for $16 just a few months ago.

So why buy these terrible guns?  Well for me, it's more of a collecting hobby.  I have some really good firearms in my collection, but something about these ugly ducklings catches my eye.  Plus, I figure by buying them myself, I am taking these cheap guns off the streets before they can be used in a crime.  So what about you?  What's the worst gun you own, or have owned?

Proud Marine Dad said:
No I am joking. It is considered a weak round though. Somewhat equal to the 9mm.

For home defense with a handgun the .45 ACP is all I would trust even though the .40 is a good round. ;)

Not a fan of revolvers eh?

Shurbryn said:

I'm all for guns for the enjoyment of being at a shooting range or hunting, but for safety in the home, I don't.

Hmmm...

I can understand why people who don't like (or are scared of) guns wouldn't want them being carried around in public places because you have to share that space with everybody and whatever... but being against people protecting their own family inside their own homes makes absolutely no sense to me at all. So, Shurbryn, are you telling me that you are fine with me having a shotgun or rifle for hunting or target shooting, but if a few meth heads armed with weapons are beating down my door you are against me grabbing said shotgun or rifle to protect my family and myself? :confused:  

Shurbryn said:
I only ask, as the only news I ever see about shootings in America here in Australia, are about "massacres" where it was negligence on the parents part.
That's ironic, because when I see Australians on TV, they're only ever portrayed as tough, rugged, brave, outdoorsy types. And then I read your posts here...

Maybe the TV only tells you what certain people or interested parties want you to hear?

Shurbryn said:
So you purely have guns for protection? Your country sounds more and more less appealing to visit every day.

I'd rather deal with life threatening animals on a daily basis than to be worried about a home invasion.
Seems to me there is more validity to the notion of guns for protection, than guns as toys. In my opinion, that is mostly what is wrong with your thinking. Talking about Nerf guns, and such. In my humble opinion, you don't condition anyone to point guns - real or fake - unless you intend to kill. My kids aren't allowed to play with guns, in any way, shape, or form. Hunt, yes. Shooting range, yes. Simulated killing? NO way.

As for the comments at hand - if you only have negative things to say, or you feel you are taking your life into your own hands by coming to our country, then by all means, don't come. We definitely don't want you outside your comfort zone. But for the record, there is no distinction between "life threatening animals" and "home invasion". And for what it's worth, regardless of what you hear, your country is no safer than ours. Your conditioning has just been a little more effective. ;)

Proud Marine Dad said:
 .357 with 158 gr. hollow points is considered a good man stopper.

make that a .357 with 158 grain semi Jacketed hollow points...mushrooms to .64 caliber when it strikes the target...

that's the round the Florida Game and Fish Commission issued when I was a game warden in Collier county (Naples/Marco Island) from 81-84...

I carry the same rounds today but they are getting harder and harder to find....

there are some other little tricks with those semi-jacketed rounds like a thin file making an 'X' on the end of the round....causes it to more or less shatter when it strikes the target

AlabamaJack said:
there are some other little tricks with those semi-jacketed rounds like a thin file making an 'X' on the end of the round....causes it to more or less shatter when it strikes the target
Yeah... Get caught doing that with a round used in self-defense... The lawyer of the deceased will be able to enumerate every polyp in your colon.

Using anything but off the shelf rounds in a self-defense weapon is playing with fire.

solid7 said:
Yeah... Get caught doing that with a round used in self-defense... The lawyer of the deceased will be able to enumerate every polyp in your colon.

Using anything but off the shelf rounds in a self-defense weapon is playing with fire.

It's no different than buying hollow points vs a solid lead bullet for self-defense.
Proud Marine Dad said:
Way off! Almost 1". :cool:

That's what she said.

mx5inpa said:

It's no different than buying hollow points vs a solid lead bullet for self-defense.

Actually, It is and very much so. You will get roasted when called to testify as to how your ballistic credentials are superior to the ballistic credentials of the manufacturer of the defensive round. They will then start down the road on how you attempted to modify the round to cause more pain and trauma to the perp you shot to make them unduly suffer more and then make the perp out to be the victim because of it.
Buy the best defensive round you can off the shelf, practice and become proficient with it and most of all, don't modify it. follow these instructions and it will be the manufacturer of the round testifying and not you. At least not regarding the lethality of the round.

HP22BH said:
Actually, It is and very much so. You will get roasted when called to testify as to how your ballistic credentials are superior to the ballistic credentials of the manufacturer of the defensive round. They will then start down the road on how you attempted to modify the round to cause more pain and trauma to the perp you shot to make them unduly suffer more and then make the perp out to be the victim because of it.
Buy the best defensive round you can off the shelf, practice and become proficient with it and most of all, don't modify it. follow these instructions and it will be the manufacturer of the round testifying and not you. At least not regarding the lethality of the round.

They could easily do the same thing as to why you chose hollow points instead of something less lethal. Which has nothing to do with the manufacturer.
Especially in a civil suit from your victims family.

HP22BH said:

While I fully understand where you are coming from; it has been discussed this many many many times over at THR and, although asked for, we have yet to see anyone actually post case files of where handloaders have actually been accused like this. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I have never seen a court transcript.

AlabamaJack said:

make that a .357 with 158 grain semi Jacketed hollow points...mushrooms to .64 caliber when it strikes the target...

that's the round the Florida Game and Fish Commission issued when I was a game warden in Collier county (Naples/Marco Island) from 81-84...

I carry the same rounds today but they are getting harder and harder to find....

Semi jacketed are okay, but regular lead is bad azz and cheap too. Commercial cast lead bullets like those from Missouri bullet and 14-14.5 grains of 2400 behind the 158gr lead bullet is running close to 1500 fps out of my Blackhawk, and just a little bit slower out of the GP100. That is quite a bit faster than a 45ACP (although, I love the 45 too) I had to drop down to 13.5 gr to shoot the same bullet out of my Rossi 92. The rifle didn't like that much powder.

Very potent.

mx5inpa said:

They could easily do the same thing as to why you chose hollow points instead of something less lethal. Which has nothing to do with the manufacturer.

Especially in a civil suit from your victims family.
YES, it does I suggest you discuss it further with a state prosecutor.
Jeff H said:

While I fully understand where you are coming from; it has been discussed this many many many times over at THR and, although asked for, we have yet to see anyone actually post case files of where handloaders have actually been accused like this. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I have never seen a court transcript.

I made no mention of hand loaders. I refereed to the intentional modification of a factory round that was designed to a specific thing and you (you) referring to the modifier, altered  the projectile to do something other than what the projectile was initially intended. A discussion on a forum is not really worth my time to dig up actual case documentation. Anyone is free to do what they want to the ammunition they carry. but remember this, when you are finally faced with actually pulling your weapon and are forced to discharge that weapon for whatever reason. is it really worth having the tables turned on what should be a justifiable use of arms into a premeditated escalation of trauma and intended increase of inflicted pain to the perp of the initial crime? your money, your life, your decision.

Back