• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Importing Chilli seeds into Australia

Well I managed to get my seed order through unopened.
It was only pure luck I got these through though.
I did ask for the common and botanical names to be put on the seed packet but only had the Common names so if customs did open it new or old laws they would have been taken!
It is unusual for him as I have ordered before and he has been very professional.
I'm just glad they made it.

Micca

Nice work Micca .. I have had 2 seed packages go missing in the past month ... Not blaming customs though as I never received a love letter from them ... Something odd is going on with my mail I think ...

Yeah it won't be customs Trip, like you said they will send you a love letter!
It will be that pesky aussiepost. Maybe some postie has realized who you are and loves growing peppers too.
Ever seen a PC game called Postal? Very wrong game but makes you laugh!!!!

Micca

Trippa. . Did you get my birthday card. ?! I sent it about 10 days ago. Got busy with my girls and sick plants.

My issue last Time was I sent powder and dried pods. They prolly smelled it and decided to open it.

Micca302 said:
Yeah it won't be customs Trip, like you said they will send you a love letter!
It will be that pesky aussiepost. Maybe some postie has realized who you are and loves growing peppers too.
Ever seen a PC game called Postal? Very wrong game but makes you laugh!!!!

Micca
Yeah ... I certainly think either someone has a key/is picking the lock(not hard on the locks they have) and stealing mail straight out of my letter box .... Or its higher up the food chain... I have a track and trace letter in the post at the moment ... Will be interesting to see if I end up with it.
KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Trippa. . Did you get my birthday card. ?! I sent it about 10 days ago. Got busy with my girls and sick plants.

My issue last Time was I sent powder and dried pods. They prolly smelled it and decided to open it.
Not yet KD ... But it usually takes about 10 days from the US at least so could well be on its way still ... Will let you know. I am pretty sure the pods would be stopped but powder is usually OK I think ... Who knows like I said I never received any letter and customs always send a letter if they intercept mail or send it on with a this letter was opened by customs note

Well looks like Customs is at it again.
Not only have they made it hard to get seeds into Aussieland but now they have made it hard to get anything into West Aussieland!
I was talking to my Mum who mentioned that that had something on todaytonight where a person in WA could not get any of his heirloom vege seeds anymore because customs had changed the import laws into WA.
I had a search through Aqis/google but could not find anything, so decided to look up some of the main seed companies over east.
What I found was WA Quarantine is now wanting an inspection fee(maybe $45) for seeds/plants coming into West Aussieland! What a load of CRAP!!!!!
Here are a couple of links to what the seed companies are saying-

http://greenharvest.com.au/SeedOrganic/OrganicSeedIndex.html
http://www.diggers.com.au/media/123767/waseed.pdf

I'm not too sure about any other things coming through but now come on WA Quarantine thats swooping pretty low!

Micca

Seeds I've sent to Australia in a #10 envelope sandwiched between small bubble wrap have made it OK. Last ones sent 5-23-13, but to NSW not to WA.

Hi Silver,

Yeah our customs can be very up and down. It all depends on the person you get.
Sounds like you were lucky and they didn't inspect it.
I have had seeds that were just chucked in an envelope that have made it through and had some that were declared(declaration attached) but got taken because there was only the common name on each seed packet and no botanical name(was on the declaration).
Now they want a fee also just to bring them into W.A geeeez we are only a hobby gardener!

Micca

I should have mentioned too that this new law is aimed at domestic. So if I was in NSW sending to WA there will be a fee charged for inspection!
Not only is it hard to get into Aussieland to start with but now WA has been cut off from the rest of Australia.

Micca

Interestingly, I've only had one shipment "disappear" going to Oz in the last 5-6 years. I think they may know me by now! LOL, most were regular envelopes with just a few seeds in it, the lost one had a thousand seeds in it. listing them as "chili" seeds seems to help, you put "pepper" on the
package it will be stopped!

Hey Butch nice to hear from you.
Customs definately got much better over the last 5 odd years. I don't know if you remember but when the TS-BT was very little known it took about 5 attempts for you to get seeds through to me.
The only way was eventually putting them in a piece of a beer carton(inside the corregations). That was some effort and also some effort getting them out of there.
Now Customs have had a disease come through they want photosanitary certs and testing for about 4 different viruses. I really don't think they are enforcing the new laws yet but never know.

micca

Teddy Bears, Micca - I'm tellin' ya, Teddy Bears!

Good to know as in frying to send some seeds to junglerain.

So does birthday still work ?!
Never mind that. I actually just sent some to trippa in Aussie birthday card works
This is in Queensland

Shouldn't matter what state you are sending them to from outside Australia as the Customs rules pertaining to capsicum species is a federal customs law ... not a state one I believe... 

Yeah it doesn't matter what state you send to. The laws are the same.
I have had birthday cards come through and also have had them taken off me.
Like people say if you are going to send anything it is probably best in a small envelope not marked at all.
Will have to see if they enforce it or not.

Micca

I must be living in a fantasy land because I've never had anything taken, despite some things being opened.  I've also send seeds to the less exclusive coast (east ;) ) of Australia as well as USA and The Philippines and everything has gone through.  My usual method of sending has been to just sticky tape ziplock bags to the inside of a Xmas card in a normal envelope.  Sending at Xmas time gives you a good chance of slipping through with the rest of the card mail.

Well well Mega, looks like I might have to put your name and addy on the next lot :P
 Customs have a very good garden going because of me!

micca

Well I am 95% sure I am getting mail stolen out of my actual mail box ... Its locked but I have had 6 known pieces of mail both internal and overseas mail go missing in the past 2 months ... I have only ever had 1 thing go missing before this in my entire life ... I really want to catch them in the act!!

Hey Trip, looks like you need a lend of my hunting camera(night vision).
It's done well at finding the sneaky little culprits!
Maybe just hide in the bushes with a big stick :P

Micca

Great idea Micca!!

I should put a letter in the box from myself with a threat addressed directly to them.. I wonder if that would work??

I know it must happen between around 1pm and 6pm everyday because that's when I get mail delivered and when I check it.

Hahaha that would be funny Trip.

Dear Mr.@%$*&!,
Well well i know who you are. I have been watching you and I am right now too.
So leave my mail alone or the next thing you look at won't be so nice!
Hahaha

Micca

Back