• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Importing Chilli seeds into Australia

I just got some seeds to Perth WA from Victoria. I know thats not importing but I did buy after the new interstate laws came into play and it appears my seeds slipped through the cracks. no customs inspection charge for me.

Good on ya Mate :cool:
I really hope they realize how bad it is to try and charge a home grower 50 odd bucks extra for a packet of vegie seeds.

I did also find an article from ABC news that was interesting. Mentions talking to the agriculture departments spokesman and he is saying they will inspect the packages and send you an invoice! What the &*$@*
Also mentions people trying to sneak them through could face up to $5000 in fines!
Here is the link-
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-25/buying-seeds-through-the-post-will-cost-more/4779770

Ahhh gotta love the government.

Micca
Hey Dave, you a night worker or something?

Micca

Thanks for starting this topic, it is something i have been genuinely interested in for a while now.

Fresh back from an extended trip to South America, i was really hoping to track down some particular varieties to grow here, pretty sure i wont be able to provide some of the conditions that were mentioned in the first few posts, which is a shame. Had considered doing the sneaky and bringing some in my bags lol, but thought better of it and really wanted to go about it the right way.

I've always wanted to go to Australia.  If everyone chips in, I can fly my family out there and I'll make them all swallow balloons full of chili seeds to distribute upon arrival.  Of course the chili cartel will want their cut... :shh:

Pepperhead said:
I've always wanted to go to Australia.  If everyone chips in, I can fly my family out there and I'll make them all swallow balloons full of chili seeds to distribute upon arrival.  Of course the chili cartel will want their cut... :shh:

Now that's an idea!
I still like the stuffing teddy bears idea too.

micca

Well the idiots just pushed everything further underground with this move ... Any prohibition just hides problems and makes them bigger .... When will anyone in politics with some kahunas wake up and see that

Micca302 said:
Good on ya Mate :cool:
I really hope they realize how bad it is to try and charge a home grower 50 odd bucks extra for a packet of vegie seeds.

I did also find an article from ABC news that was interesting. Mentions talking to the agriculture departments spokesman and he is saying they will inspect the packages and send you an invoice! What the &*$@*
Also mentions people trying to sneak them through could face up to $5000 in fines!
Here is the link-
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-25/buying-seeds-through-the-post-will-cost-more/4779770

Ahhh gotta love the government.

Micca

Hey Dave, you a night worker or something?

Micca
Yeah I'm a baker, I mostly work 5pm to 1am, then wind down for a few hours before bed.
I wanted to get a different sort of Atlantic pumpkin seed for the next season but I'm not sure if I want to risk it now.

Tinnie said:
Thanks for starting this topic, it is something i have been genuinely interested in for a while now.

Fresh back from an extended trip to South America, i was really hoping to track down some particular varieties to grow here, pretty sure i wont be able to provide some of the conditions that were mentioned in the first few posts, which is a shame. Had considered doing the sneaky and bringing some in my bags lol, but thought better of it and really wanted to go about it the right way.

Welcome and great to have you aboard.
They really have stuffed things up but luckily(specially for the east coast) there are quite a few great varieties available already in Australia.
Junglerain would have the most diverse selection I have seen in Australia, then there's Hippyseed, Wildfire Chilli etc. All good places.
There are heaps of people still getting seed through but it is just the luck of the draw.
With a passion for the rare and unusual I have most of what's available here and look abroad for new ones. Now that looks like it is going to get harder and harder to achieve.

Super David said:
Yeah I'm a baker, I mostly work 5pm to 1am, then wind down for a few hours before bed.
I wanted to get a different sort of Atlantic pumpkin seed for the next season but I'm not sure if I want to risk it now.

Ahh that makes sense.
Sounds like good work times to fit in with Chilli growing :P
Diggers over east have a lot of the unusual vege seeds but now with the new state law I really don't know what's going to happen.

Micca

The best method I heard is to put chilli pods in a big tinted glass jar filled with water so it appears to be pickled. 

But Trippa is bang on.  Making these extreme laws will just make people disrespect and break them.  Seeds are so small it'll be ridiculously easy to smuggle them through the mail.  Its really hard to understand the reasoning behind this.

I was once told by an expolitician that when people enter parliament they effectively are trapped in a time machine.  So if they first started in the 80s their thinking and policies will forever be stuck in that way of thinking.  If you think about the stupid crap they come up with this makes a lot of sense.

Micca302 said:

Welcome and great to have you aboard.
They really have stuffed things up but luckily(specially for the east coast) there are quite a few great varieties available already in Australia.
Junglerain would have the most diverse selection I have seen in Australia, then there's Hippyseed, Wildfire Chilli etc. All good places.
There are heaps of people still getting seed through but it is just the luck of the draw.
With a passion for the rare and unusual I have most of what's available here and look abroad for new ones. Now that looks like it is going to get harder and harder to achieve.

Cheers Micca i appreciate that mate.

I have already learned alot browsing around the site and have seen plenty of people recommending the sellers you mentioned. Its good to see so many people supporting honest sellers.

Junglerain will be my first stop as he has a few varieties of Rocotos that i am interested in and also Chilli Seed Bank has some other varieties (Aji Panca, ect) that i am also interested in. This will be my first year growing from seeds, so trying to learn and keep my fingers crossed.

Those charges for inspection look like nothing more than a grab for cash tbh, i have also seen companies online that will post to anywhere in Oz except Tassie and WA, only now begining to understand why they wouldnt mail to WA. But couldnt help but laugh at that photo in the article you linked, the angry mob of home gardeners with their pitchforks out, a coupla them holding flaming torches would have made a great picture lol

Still want to learn more about the importing though. If i ever return to South America, i would like to bring some seeds back with me.

Yeah it is a funny picture, watch out for those angry gardeners grrrrrr............

Rocoto's are great and huge thick walled juicy Chiili's and an unusual growth habit.
I tend to have a policy of only growing one of these in my garden as they sprawl out and try and overtake the rest of the garden.

Micca

megamoo said:
I must be living in a fantasy land because I've never had anything taken, despite some things being opened.  I've also send seeds to the less exclusive coast (east ;) ) of Australia as well as USA and The Philippines and everything has gone through.  My usual method of sending has been to just sticky tape ziplock bags to the inside of a Xmas card in a normal envelope.  Sending at Xmas time gives you a good chance of slipping through with the rest of the card mail.
my 3 friends sent me seeds here in ph no success even one of them :( those superhots are treasure for me. i wanna grow them but cant go through here in philippines :(

Just sent some to grant hustler. Jungle rain and e got the ones I sent him. Also just sent to west austlalia. So well see how that goes. Birthday car people !! 6 US stamps.

Ziploc with 3 sesame candies, wrapped in cellophane so it looks like seeds could escape, but will make sure they don't so you don't mix them up. Pepper seeds loose in ziploc. Note inside ziploc: "You'll love these sesame candies!"

Regular envelope, cheap shipping. They open it, read note, do not mess with seeds in ziploc.

sesame_candy.jpg

Hypothetically! I would not suggest you break the law.

savingprivaterye said:
my 3 friends sent me seeds here in ph no success even one of them :( those superhots are treasure for me. i wanna grow them but cant go through here in philippines :(

Hey there Mate, that's a real pain when they don't come through. I know well the feeling.
I had a friend over in the Philippines and sent a whole heap to him without any problems

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Just sent some to grant hustler. Jungle rain and e got the ones I sent him. Also just sent to west austlalia. So well see how that goes. Birthday car people !! 6 US stamps.

Well it seems like they are getting through(probably more luck than anything).
Hey Mate what sort of Chilli do you grow? Finding something that Grant hasn't grown is nearly impossible 

The Hot Pepper said:
Ziploc with 3 sesame candies, wrapped in cellophane so it looks like seeds could escape, but will make sure they don't so you don't mix them up. Pepper seeds loose in ziploc. Note inside ziploc: "You'll love these sesame candies!"

Regular envelope, cheap shipping. They open it, read note, do not mess with seeds in ziploc.

attachicon.gif
sesame_candy.jpg

Hypothetically! I would not suggest you break the law.

ice work!
Will probably find they have banned sesame seeds now Hahaha

Micca

I've never had any problems getting seeds into the Philippines, there are growers growing super hots there!!!! Shipments still going through to OZ 
as of 2 weeks ago.

Back