• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest July?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why am I craving coffee?

Oh

Juan+Valdez+LA+Premiere+Bruce+Almighty+Y3Ar9Jwwra5l.jpg

I have no idea what you're talking about. yumyum. :halo: I'm just looking for a good month to have a 3-themed challenge.

Here's another thought. I got to thinking how we don't get to try each other's dishes. How about each of us picking something from a prior TD that someone else made and that didn't win (up to each to pick which.) Think about what caused it not to win - Lighting? Color? Missing that 'special' ingredient? Or possibly really close to a win, but just not quite "there"? Now make it yourself, and make the improvements needed for it to win this time.

The bonus is that you get to try something that someone else made, albeit with some changes.

I don't like that it's like a backhanded compliment.

Interesting. I don't see it that way. You'd have to think it was good enough to win at some level in the first place to pick it. Just an idea....

<--------- ahem. 2 crowns for On-A-Stick.

Gee, I kinda agree with the boss on that one. Everyone puts their best effort into their dishes. Some people's cameras suck, can't fault them that. I don't vote for some entries because they use an ingredient I don't like. That would be like saying, You would of won if you'd put it on a white plate with better lighting. Doesn't sound like fun to be the one picked to be re-done.

FD4- summer foods! Think walking and eating. must be able to be held and eaten in one hand. Cone, stick, ???

crap, now The Boss will chose that idea just so he can get a 3rd one.

OH but that would be good, cuz then the next month he'd want to do the 3-way challenge.

Hey, I'm an electrician...I like 3-ways and 4-ways. 5-ways and 6-ways can get pretty interesting, especially when you have to work with remote switching.

did cast iron and dutch oven, which had several CI's in it.

OK- here's the list of TD's from the beginning -

Alternative Burger - (6/2012) - 3/5King
Veggie Burger - (6/2012) - SumOfMyBits
Beef Burger - (6/2012) - wrightdaddy

Tortilla - (5/2012) - SumOfMyBits
Ramen - (4/2012) - SumOfMyBits
African - (3/2012) - SumOfMyBits
C.I.T.D. (Cast Iron) - (2/2012) - PIC1
Pizza - (1/2012) - Scoville DeVille
Duo December - (12/2011) - geeme
The Best Meal I Ever Ate - (11/2011) - JayT
Oktoberfest III - (10/2011) - Chile Juju
Mexican - (9/2011) - SumOfMyBits
Five Dollar Feast - (8/2011) - salsalady
TOAST Throwdown - (7/2011) - rooze

BATTLE ROYALE - (6/2011) - 16 winners!

Asian - (5/2011) - paulky_2000
Hometown Hot Dog - (4/2011) - POTAWIE
SumOfMy Dutch Oven Cooking (3/2011) - SumOfMyBits
Super "Bowl" - (anything in a bowl) (2/2011) - buddy
Chopped - (1/2011) - buddy
Bayou Battle - (12/2010) - salsalady
frydad4's Wild Waffle -(11/2010) - paulky_2000
Second Annual Oktoberfest -(10/2010) - frydad4
Where's The Beef? (non-beef burgers) - (9/2010) - WickedMojo
Seafood - (8/2010) - paulky_2000
Grillin' & Chillin' Independence Weekend - (7/2010) - texas blues
Pie - (sweet or savory) (6/2010) - Pepper Ridge Farm
Secret Ingredient - Mango (5/2010) - salsalady
Easter Weekend Pasta (4/2010) - texas blues
Regional/Ethnic Sandwich - (3/2010) - Deathtosnails
Super Bowl MVP - (2/2010) - Pepperfreak
Steak - (1/2010) - Deathtosnails
Holy Smoke December (smoked items) - (12/2009) - POTAWIE
Comfort Food w/2 Sides - (11/2009) - JayT
Stuff It! Oktoberfest (sausage-type foods) - (10/2009) - moyboy
Stick It! - (9/2009) - thehotpepper.com
Mac N Cheese - (8/2009) - QuadShotz
Jerk - (7/2009) - frydad4
Burger - (6/2009) - texas blues
Pizza - (5/2009) - JayT
Popper - (4/2009) - AlabamaJack

I'm not sure how the "photography" TD would work. We are voting on food, after all, and photography skills are inherent in the process of "selling our TD entry" to voters already. If we decide to make it a photography TD, then everyone needs to list the basics... F-Stop, Shutter speed, and ISO. Focal length of the lens would be a plus (rough estimate if you are using a zoom). How many people even know what that means?

I say we go for a Chopped theme. Give us three ingredients the day of... and say GO!

It means vote on the best picture Sum. Simple enuf. If you capture that great moment of the flame hitting the steak, some juices, some sparks, the right light... come on you know what good food photography is. And every TD is not voted on by pictures alone that's not how I vote. Sometimes I totally discount the pic as long as I can tell what it all is, the quality/artistry does not matter.

What the hell are you talking about Sum? Speak English man. F-stop. Is that supposed to be code for something?

And, ISO you to buddy!

Here's a link to the TD page of the forums. If there is a TD you don't understand or if you'd like to read through some of the past TDs to see how it all works, look for the posts that start with "BEGIN! ...."

http://thehotpepper....111-throwdowns/

BTW- thanks for mentioning that Sum. I'm ISO 10# fresh fataliis. ISO = In Search Of ....right?

I can see the opposite happening...

"I think people voted because the pic was so good"

now...

"You just voted because that steak was killer"

lol

You can never have it perfect when you can't taste these things, but I don't see the problem in flipping the script once.

It means vote on the best picture Sum. Simple enuf. If you capture that great moment of the flame hitting the steak, some juices, some sparks, the right light... come on you know what good food photography is. And every TD is not voted on by pictures alone that's not how I vote. Sometimes I totally discount the pic as long as I can tell what it all is, the quality/artistry does not matter.

I get it. And I know pictures are not what everyone bases their vote on, but it's integral to the system. For instance, you can talk up a great story about your food, with great flavors and in such detail that I feel like I'm right there with you... I can almost taste it, but if your essential pictures are blurry... then you totally lost me. I can't verify that what you said happened REALLY did happen. In architecture school they call it talk-itecture.

But I'm down for a "photograghy" TD if everyone else is. It's all about the challenge for every TD for me. I don't care what it is. That's how I roll.

Sic's gonna throw something at the damn wall...shoot it...and win it.

Oh...and I've only entered 19 TD's...what am I up against...23 for the record?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back