• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest June Throwdown Ideas

Next Throwdown

• Fast Food Made Slow (Cook your favorite fast food meal, but gourmet style and spicy)

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Pie (meat pies etc.)

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Off The Grill

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Spicy Dessert

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Carnie Food (carnival/fair foods, vendor stand foods, etc.)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • 5 ingredient hot sauce, used on a cooked meal

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Stuffed - anything stuffed

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid, but serious, question from a somewhat ignorant American...

Does "Pie" mean something other than what we call "Pie" in America? I have never seen Americans get this geeked up about Pie before, so there must be a foreign equivalent that is much better than what we make.

Like "Chips" (french fries), or "Bangers" (NOT what I thought they were...my apologies again to the waitress).

Having lived on both sides of the pond, I would still define a pie (a savoury one) as:

Having some meat filling (or vegetable), with a crust (and a top), preferably baked, and consumed as the main part of the meal rather than as as a sugary dessert.

Chicken and Mushroom
Steak and Ale
Bean
Cheese
Potato

And so on and so forth.

ultimately:

Pie! :)

Aji Chombo said:
Having lived on both sides of the pond, I would still define a pie (a savoury one) as:

Having some meat filling (or vegetable), with a crust (and a top), preferably baked, and consumed as the main part of the meal rather than as as a sugary dessert.

Chicken and Mushroom
Steak and Ale
Bean
Cheese
Potato

And so on and so forth.

ultimately:

Pie! :)
+1 and generally wrapped in pastry :D

June also happens to be
National Cheese Day June 4
National Frozen Yogurt Day June 4
National Cognac Day June 4

and I think I read National Turkey Day as well somewhere

Oh Mighty Throwdown Gods, we Beseech you!

Heed our plea!

Send forth a sign!

Shall we, your faithful and ever loving servants honour you by firing our kilns, stoking the fires of homely ciusine, and regale you with a feast of PIE?

You have but to utter that mono-syllabic symbol of all that is good and hearty,

and lo, we shall bake for you an unimaginable bounty!

:)

PIE!

Aji Chombo said:
Oh Mighty Throwdown Gods, we Beseech you!

Heed our plea!

Send forth a sign!

Shall we, your faithful and ever loving servants honour you by firing our kilns, stoking the fires of homely ciusine, and regale you with a feast of PIE?

You have but to utter that mono-syllabic symbol of all that is good and hearty,

and lo, we shall bake for you an unimaginable bounty!

:)

PIE!

AMEN:pray:

Can they be hand held pies like an empanada or "pizza pocket"? As long as it's make with crust and not dough (like a calzone)?

Savory Pie with Crust

To define a wee bit further... pastry lid on a savoury filling. Not a filling wrapped in pastry, that's a pastie not a pie.

In Australia and New Zealand a pie is just about always a filling with a pastry (puff for savoury and short crust for sweet) base and lid in a single portion (1 serve) or family size (4 serves)

e.g. single serve savoury pie:

meatpie.jpg

I believe pie will confuse too many people. The only meat pie most people know here is chicken pot pie. And it's not that exciting.

Carnie Food - (carnival/fair food) Chili cheese fries, funnel cakes, candy apples, greasy burgers. Maybe one savory and one sweet.

Picnic Food - Homecooked meals that are served cold later. Presentation must resemble a picnic.

Chilify It - Name the restaurant and the best non-spicy meal you've had and try to chilify it. Ever eat an amazing meal but wish it was spicy? Here's your chance. Entries will be "Inspired by..."

Big City Food - Ritzy stuff with artsy presentation. DTS knows.

thehotpepper.com said:
I believe pie will confuse too many people. The only meat pie most people know here is chicken pot pie. And it's not that exciting.

Isn't learning part of the fun? It is for me as a spectator at least.

MrArboc said:
Isn't learning part of the fun? It is for me as a spectator at least.
I'm not that excited over pies most pictures will look the same. A pie cut open with some meat inside. Tasting is the key. Don't think it works.

Maybe Aussie foods instead. Meat pies and more, and lots of research for the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back