• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Manzano Glog

I got to thinking there are a lot of people growing this pepper and I think for the first time for a lot of us.  Thought it might be neat to see everyone's Manzano as they progress through the year.

I have three plants, all yellow.  My first plant was sowed in Octobish of last year and I have two that are from around Christmas time.

So who all is trying to grow these long distance runners of the pepper world?

Here are my three babies.  The two smaller ones are the same age, but the smaller one had a massive helmet head and I didn't think it would survive.

1506066_10201644492144173_233549265_n.jpg

Mine were happy until I started bringing them outside, some wind damage and they seem droopy as well. I try to keep them in diffused light. They better learn to hang, this IS Tejas where they live!

Glad you're seeing flowers JJJ!

Now that I have everything growing and I finally have pictures, I thought I would share a picture of my current Manzanos from Smokemaster and Rocotos from PepperLover.  Not buds yet and I am still learning how these planst react to indoor lights compared to my other peppers.  I have HID lightinh, so I kind of moved these plants in between the lighted areas to see if that will keep them going, and not get them to much light.  The 4 plants on the right are the Manzanos and the 3 to the left are the Mexican Rocoto's.   Looking forward to growing these for the first time.

My pictures are not at the same level of clarity as some of the ones I see in this topic, but I will continue to try and improve them.

P1040609_zps66439d2d.jpg

I am really looiing forward to growing and tasting these, as I have never seem them at any of the stores up here in my neck of the woods.  I have tried some of the sprecialty shops , but no luck.  I have heard lots of good comments about them, and they have been on my wish list for a while,m so it is about time I planted them and tried my hand at growing them.  I figure if they like a shaded spot, I might have a perfect location along the side of my house.  Will just need to fence it, as my dogs love to chew on plants.  Go figure!

So, Question to everyone growing these, do your Manzano plants have a real stong smell?  I was handling one of the plants the other day and happened to get it close to my face and the leaves have a real stong smell.  Not sure what it smells like, but I then picked up a Habanero and a Scorpion, and neither of them had much of a smell to them.

Just curious.

Here is my latest shot of the plants
Left Side (3) Rocotos, right side 4 Manzanos

[/URL]">http://

Starting to get buds on the Rocoto

Pr0digal_son said:
12804902324_0df7f5db44_o.jpg

:high: :high: :high:

Dew those are sexy plants,nice flat green color. Knock on wood,I haven't had any issues germinating C.pubescens. I was 38 of 40 this year. What did your seed look like? They should look like Yogi Berras ears only brown/black. :lol: They don't always produce a lot of pollen so that could be an issue,even with the fruit being 100% ripe.

Semillas.de is probably the best place to get pubescen seeds. He has a great list and the germ rates are unmatched.
LOL! Def looks like Trichomes!

bpwilly said:
So, Question to everyone growing these, do your Manzano plants have a real stong smell?  I was handling one of the plants the other day and happened to get it close to my face and the leaves have a real stong smell.  Not sure what it smells like, but I then picked up a Habanero and a Scorpion, and neither of them had much of a smell to them.

Just curious.

Here is my latest shot of the plants
Left Side (3) Rocotos, right side 4 Manzanos

Starting to get buds on the Rocoto

Never smelled on before, but I haven't noticed anything.  You know what you've made me have to go do now don't you....

Here are a couple quick shots. I am a bit behind and have had some overwatering issues and just some issues from sheer neglect. The plants are healthy and compact so I am somewhat happy. They should be ready to roll by the first week of June.

13727994125_9eac0b4fea_o.jpg

13727922615_b74711b387_o.jpg

I wanted to toss this guy in there too as he has pubescens genes. This is an interspecific hybrid called Rocopica. This one is alittle different than the one I grew last year. It is showing more eximium traits.
13728050355_520d167cbf_o.jpg

Just curious.

I've noticed that as well actually!

Everyone's plants are looking great!

I have a few going.. Yellow and orange manzanos and a red gt rocoto and a seed train mystery pube, but they are are quite small still.

Glad you smell it as well.  Thanks for checking.  I wondered if something was weird with my plants. 

I sure like seeing the purple flowers, so much different than the other pepper plants I have.  My plants have grown a bit, but no open flowers yet, but they do have a few small buds that will open up one of these days.  These plants sure like to branch out all by themselves.  I like that trait.

Will get some new pics soon, but need to practice based on the excellent pictures I see on this topic.

Finally, my first rocoto ripened, 10 years passed from the last time I tried to grow a red rocoto. Only thing they are yellow... sigh. Bought them online as red rocotos, what a surprise I got :-)

That said, they are one of the most amazing peppers I have ever tasted, juicy, fruity nice not over the top burn, definitely worth all the hassles of growing these :-)

So if anyone have some original red rocotos seeds lying around :-)  :rolleyes:

Yeah, with peppers, life is like a box of chocolates...

Here's my gal, she's growing nicely, but ma nature and her 20-25mph spring winds (maybe winter trying to come back) has left her a little rough looking.

She's in a 20gal pot 17"s wide:

634.JPG

One lone flower. But more coming...
633.JPG

That pod made my mouth water.  

Still just have the one green pod growing and it isn't round any more.  Hope it stays on long enough to ripen for me.

HillBilly Jeff said:
That pod made my mouth water.  

Still just have the one green pod growing and it isn't round any more.  Hope it stays on long enough to ripen for me.
Hehehe, it's sooooo juicy :-)

They take forever to get ripe!

I will hold thumbs for your one to make it, as they are worth the wait.

Back