• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MGOLD86's GLOG, of sorts. NEW Billy Boy Douglah Review!

baeb2f3f.jpg

With that being said,
welcome.gif
to my grow log.

As a disclaimer, if you came here to learn how to grow peppers the right way, you might as well leave. Also, if you get easily offended, send all hatemail to Romy6. Thx. If you are looking for a pro log …… click http://www.thehotpep...al-discussion/. If you want meticulous notes, and updates like clockwork, click http://www.thehotpep...hot-grow-2012/.

For those of you who are still here, I’m Matt, and you can call me that. That or homie, bro, chief, man, buddy, or Javier. This is season number 2 and last year was a disaster. Somewhere between scouring the web to find out why all my plants couldn’t break the 2 foot mark I ran across this forum, and bam, hooked. I started gathering seeds in June and got them in dirt (or coffee filters) today.

Here is my list:

Scorps:
ButchT- Pepper lover/Chad S 3
Red TScorp-AJ 3
Yellow TScorp-Brian 3
TScorp Marouga-Pepper Lover 3

Indian:
Red Bhut-Pepper Lover 3
Assam Bhut Indian Carbon- Pepper Lover 3
Giant Red Bhut-PGM 3
Choc Bhut-PGM 3
Peach Bhut-Aji Joe 3
Naga Morich- Brian 3

7's:
Yellow 7: THSC 3
White 7: Pepper Lover 3
Jonah: Pepper Lover 3
Primo: Pepper Lover 3
Barrakpore: Pepper Lover 3
Douglah: THSC 3
Brain Strain: CMPMAN 3
Yellow Brain Strain: Pepper Lover 3
Infinity: Wouter 3

Habs:
Red Savina-Pepper Lover 3
Red Hab- Pepper Lover 3
Orange Hab- Pepper Lover 3

Crosses:
Naga x 7 Pot-Chad 3
Peach Habalokia-Aji Joe 3
Red Scorpanero #2-Aji Joe 3
Yellow Habalokia-Aji Joe 3

Others:
Fatalii-Pepper Lover 3
Trinidad Perfume-Pepper Lover 3
Tabago Seasoning-Pepper Lover 3
Aji Yellow-Aji Joe 3
Inca Red Drop-Kevin 3
Maui Purple- Kevin 3

Medium:

Biker Billy Jal- Burpee 0
Cayenne- Burpee 0

Mild/Sweet:

Joe E. Parker- HM 0
Red Bell Orion F1- HM 0
Yellow Bell Catriona- HM 0

For background on my set up with plenty of pics and commentary click http://www.thehotpep...-now-with-pics/ basically, I have a 5x5x7 growtent with a 600w MH.
8cb5f8e2.jpg

I am planting via 2 methods, coffee filter and direct sow. I want to eventually plant out 1 of each variety so I sowed 3 seeds. I soaked my seeds last night in water and planted 1 in a tray of Hoffman’s Seed Starter (thanks Ronnie),
fe6e7491.jpg

and the other two I stuck in coffee filters and plastic bags. So EVERYONE is aware, this method is not a quick one. Consider yourself warned.
b28bda4d.jpg

When I finished planting/bagging everything, I stuck it in my tent which maintains about 81-84 and we shall keep our fingers crossed.

d3223e2c.jpg

parting shot
7464807f.jpg

Now it is time to PWN some 12 year olds in MW3. Peace!

Thanks Matt. A little late posting this due to busy garden times.

Tomorrow I need to take pics and harvest.

No problem man. Thanks again for getting me roped into this!

That powder is gonna be stupid hot! Like the Bhut Medley idea...may steal it!

Dude, I can't wait. It is gonna be a great thing to bring with me to spice up the chow hall food. I also have a few sauce ideas that I am gonna mess with in the next few weeks....

Low and slow bro!!!

Is there any other way?? :lol:

Awesome glogginess, Matt! Great pod shots and harvest, and the
dehydrator series is great. You will be busy getting ready for deploying
at this rate. Maybe an extra duffel bag for the hot stuff? Pity those
poor marines :twisted:

It's probably in the vids but could you put a picture of your garden up? How are those container plants doing? I've been away far too long. You are really pulling in the pods man! Amazing. Once again your attention to detail is unparalleled. I dig the labeling and record keeping on your harvests. Justaguy said he got a box and all the peppers were labeled (super cool). Anyway hope the wife and baby are doing well!

Ohhh. Have you been deployed?? If so to where. And remember about spicy food in the mess hall, what goes in hot, comes out hot. Not sure you will have soothing baby wipes where your going so be careful sir

Awesome glogginess, Matt! Great pod shots and harvest, and the
dehydrator series is great. You will be busy getting ready for deploying
at this rate. Maybe an extra duffel bag for the hot stuff? Pity those
poor marines :twisted:

Paul, you have no idea of the little stockpile I am amassing!! I have a few bottles of sauce, my powder is about ready, and I have a few other bags of powder I have got over the season! I am more than excited to "heat" up my food over there! 110 degree desert?? I got just the thing...SOME ROCKET FUEL #2! :dance:

It's probably in the vids but could you put a picture of your garden up? How are those container plants doing? I've been away far too long. You are really pulling in the pods man! Amazing. Once again your attention to detail is unparalleled. I dig the labeling and record keeping on your harvests. Justaguy said he got a box and all the peppers were labeled (super cool). Anyway hope the wife and baby are doing well!

Check below Seth. I am putting some photos up, and am uploading a video walkthrough as well. Took me a while to get to it, been pretty busy, and got hit with rain a lot, but it is finally here. Cole and Jess are doing well. He is developing quite the personality. A little goofball. It is crazy to think, but when I get back, he is gonna be walking and talking!

Ohhh. Have you been deployed?? If so to where. And remember about spicy food in the mess hall, what goes in hot, comes out hot. Not sure you will have soothing baby wipes where your going so be careful sir

Yea, this one will be my 5th...after this it is definitely a time for a break! I have been everywhere, lol. But I will remember to pack plenty of wipes!

Nice review!

Thanks for stoppin in!!

So here is a few shots of the garden today, and a few videos. I have been caught up in the craziness of the off-topic threads, as well as spending a lot of time packing and gathering stuff. But I still wanna follow this log through until I am outie, so here are some photos.

One of my ButchTs. I think this may be a hybrid or a mutation...I got the seeds from a pod that looked identical to the second photo. And for some reason, they are monsters! The second photo is the only ripe pod of the entire season off that plant. The other plant with the huge pods has put out at least 100 pods for me. It is in the top 5 of all my plants as far as production goes.
file-19.jpg

file-20.jpg

I already saved seeds from a Naga Morich, but this badboy is pretty gnarly. It is about a half inch bigger than the rest of the pods, and really spikey!
file-21.jpg

The Assam Indian Carbon is quite amazing. It is huge, hot, and a ridiculous producer. I really can't imagine not growing this one.
file-22.jpg

file-23.jpg

One of the THSC Douglahs starting to put on some color.
file-25.jpg

Hopefully you can see this two-face Brain Strain Yellow pod
file-26.jpg

And this Infinity is putting on some color, hopefully it turns soon so I can EAT IT!
file-27.jpg

Here are the containers.
file-24.jpg

And the Garden
file-28.jpg

Hopefully this works, but here is the videos of last night's pods..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFzgqEY3PY8&feature=share&list=UUeHIbwlR7mrtBMhzDjZIn-g

I have had nothing but great service from Judy at Pepperlover.com. She has given me WAAAAY more varieties than I actually paid for, almost everything that I have grown has grown true, and she is just an overall great person. So to say I was surprised when she insisted she "make sure I was not disappointed" and insist on sending me something because a variety or two didn't grow true, would be a lie. I got a wonderful pkg of peppers, and had to break into them pronto!

On Taste. This one was one of the best tasting peppers I have ever had. It was VERRRRRY fruity, and it had a bell pepper texture. Very meaty, and would be good roasted and could take some heavy cooking.

On Heat. Quite honestly, the heat was a bit disappointing. I was expecting about the level of most yellow 7 pots, but it was more on par with some of the Habs I have been. It could have been overripe, but it was still pretty firm and meaty. It hit the mouth, tongue, and roof of the mouth, but died off pretty quickly.

Overall. I am not currently growing this, and if I had a spot I was looking to fill, then this would be a pretty good candidate on taste alone.

And numero dos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THfjJiHYHYo&feature=share&list=UUeHIbwlR7mrtBMhzDjZIn-g

Another one from Judy. I didn't quite get enough from the 7 Orange, so had to go for another.

On Taste. The taste was tough to place at first, but more on the citrusy side. I was expecting more of a pronounced flavor, but this was more on the subdued side.

On Heat. This was just as hot as the other Yellows I have had (7 and Brain). I was kind of expecting more of an ummmf, but it was a good burn nonetheless. It really attacked the tongue and lips. Like tiny little needles on the lips.

Overall. I am not currently growing this one, so I cannot attest to the plant's growth habits. But right now I am loving my 7 Yellow, so this would have to out produce that one if I were to change it up.

Garden update is coming in the next few hours. I am still editing and uploading :dance: :dance: :hot: :onfire:

:cheers:

I will give you a quick bump before I watch your review. And get those potted plants in the ground mi amigo :rofl:

Nice pod shots, Matt. That Assam Indian Carbon is one mean,
, gnarly and freakish pepper! Have fun chowin' down on that
one! The garden looks great - the plants have really filled that
space in nicely. You better show Cole how to open that bottle.

How many days until D-day?

Ill be back in a bit to respond...feedin the kid...BUT...INCOMING!!

file-29.jpg

And one is cut open, you know what that means....
file-30.jpg

Be back with some responses and maybe a little somethin extra...

Well folks, our friend Silver_Surfer is the man. He has created some reDONKulous chilis, and I had the honor of trying one this afternoon...

Watch in HD!

Before you throw bricks, My audip and video sync is off..I will post another review soon, or commit seppuku.

This season has pretty much been a total 180 of last season. I have sent more pods for friends to review and it has felt great. I am happy to have had a good season (thanks to the guidance of friends on THP) and as a result I have had way too many to handle. So when I got this box in the mail it was such a great feeling. I have a ton of varieties growing, and this box was full of stuff that I have never tried, and even some I had never heard of! Silver_Surfer is a growing machine and really hooked it up! So this first review is on the Douglah X Scorpion strain one. It is a gen 3 pepper, and from the looks of the multiple pods he sent over, it looks pretty uniform, dare I say..stable??

On Taste. This one had a very good taste, which I was not expecting. It was a bit fruity, almost floral, and when I was expecting the Capsaicin flavor to take over, it didnt. The flavor was quickly overshadowed by the heat, but when it was there it was definitely enjoyable. I have had some NASTY douglahs, battery acid like, thank God it didn't have that taste!

On Heat. This was one of those supers that make you question the whole numbering game. It definitely wasn't the hottest I have had, but it was in the ballpark. The heat came on quickly and really attacked the throat. It had the typical Douglah-coal burn, and a bit of the scorpion tongue or mouth burn. There was a minute or two where I started to panic a bit, probably around the 1:30 mark, but I brought my Man Pants today, so I was ok. It had a lot of the physical impairments that I have had with previous pods of its caliber. It hit the outside muscles of the legs, hips, abdomen, and hands. I was really worried about stomach pain, since the brown pods almost ALWAYS hit me there, but looks like I beat that. Actually, absolutely NO discomfort or warmth at all....surprising....the next one will probably kill me....

Overall. On looks alone this is a must grow. It is absolutely gorgeous. I mean, it is symmetrical, its mean looking, and it is huge. It has a great flavor, with a nasty heat to match. I mean, a better question would be why WOULDN'T you grow it??

Matt, that is one good looking kid ya got there and I'm glad to see your training him with some high quality, great tasting sauce.

Thanks Bill! Yea, he takes after his daddy!

Nice pod shots, Matt. That Assam Indian Carbon is one mean,
, gnarly and freakish pepper! Have fun chowin' down on that
one! The garden looks great - the plants have really filled that
space in nicely. You better show Cole how to open that bottle.

How many days until D-day?

LOL, I think momma is comin round...she has tried a pen tip size of 3 or 4 of the last peppers I had. So, keepin my fingers crossed! I don't have a solid date yet, but it should be gettin closer.

Nice review on both the peppers.

How long will you be overseas?

Thanks for stoppin in! This trip is really all about how long the guy in the big white house wants to keep us over there. I have done, 6, 7, 10, 4, etc before, so I am really ready for anything.

THANKS MATTTTTT

No problem Pia!! I am glad you got them quickly. The first unmarked pod was a Yellow Habalokia, the second was a Peach Habalokia, and the little ones are (red) red cheiro, and (yellow) pimenta de cheiro. Watch out! They pack a punch! Also, the Fatalli X R.S. Is (Red Savina). Enjoy!!

Great update, great plants, great review, just great :D

Thanks Meat!! I appreciate yo stoppin in!

Great vids as usual Matt. Plants look terrific. One day One day!!!!!!!!!

Oh and the baby is soooo cuteeeeee....

lol. Thanks, he takes after his mother, THANK GOD!

shiny mouth blistering goodness..

Hellz yea!

Matt you finally see the true Douglah. The best pepper in the world. Great review !!!! Even though it had a lil scorp in the mix :beer:

Got a gift in the mail today. Very much appreciated buddy. They are as follows. Asian 1c??? Peach Bhut, Red Bhut, TS Yellow, Butch T, Jonah, Bhut Chocolate, Bhut Brown, Mystery 7Pot, Fatalli something, Red Scorpanero #2

Excellent peppers!!!

MGold.jpg

Back