• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MGOLD86's GLOG, of sorts. NEW Billy Boy Douglah Review!

baeb2f3f.jpg

With that being said,
welcome.gif
to my grow log.

As a disclaimer, if you came here to learn how to grow peppers the right way, you might as well leave. Also, if you get easily offended, send all hatemail to Romy6. Thx. If you are looking for a pro log …… click http://www.thehotpep...al-discussion/. If you want meticulous notes, and updates like clockwork, click http://www.thehotpep...hot-grow-2012/.

For those of you who are still here, I’m Matt, and you can call me that. That or homie, bro, chief, man, buddy, or Javier. This is season number 2 and last year was a disaster. Somewhere between scouring the web to find out why all my plants couldn’t break the 2 foot mark I ran across this forum, and bam, hooked. I started gathering seeds in June and got them in dirt (or coffee filters) today.

Here is my list:

Scorps:
ButchT- Pepper lover/Chad S 3
Red TScorp-AJ 3
Yellow TScorp-Brian 3
TScorp Marouga-Pepper Lover 3

Indian:
Red Bhut-Pepper Lover 3
Assam Bhut Indian Carbon- Pepper Lover 3
Giant Red Bhut-PGM 3
Choc Bhut-PGM 3
Peach Bhut-Aji Joe 3
Naga Morich- Brian 3

7's:
Yellow 7: THSC 3
White 7: Pepper Lover 3
Jonah: Pepper Lover 3
Primo: Pepper Lover 3
Barrakpore: Pepper Lover 3
Douglah: THSC 3
Brain Strain: CMPMAN 3
Yellow Brain Strain: Pepper Lover 3
Infinity: Wouter 3

Habs:
Red Savina-Pepper Lover 3
Red Hab- Pepper Lover 3
Orange Hab- Pepper Lover 3

Crosses:
Naga x 7 Pot-Chad 3
Peach Habalokia-Aji Joe 3
Red Scorpanero #2-Aji Joe 3
Yellow Habalokia-Aji Joe 3

Others:
Fatalii-Pepper Lover 3
Trinidad Perfume-Pepper Lover 3
Tabago Seasoning-Pepper Lover 3
Aji Yellow-Aji Joe 3
Inca Red Drop-Kevin 3
Maui Purple- Kevin 3

Medium:

Biker Billy Jal- Burpee 0
Cayenne- Burpee 0

Mild/Sweet:

Joe E. Parker- HM 0
Red Bell Orion F1- HM 0
Yellow Bell Catriona- HM 0

For background on my set up with plenty of pics and commentary click http://www.thehotpep...-now-with-pics/ basically, I have a 5x5x7 growtent with a 600w MH.
8cb5f8e2.jpg

I am planting via 2 methods, coffee filter and direct sow. I want to eventually plant out 1 of each variety so I sowed 3 seeds. I soaked my seeds last night in water and planted 1 in a tray of Hoffman’s Seed Starter (thanks Ronnie),
fe6e7491.jpg

and the other two I stuck in coffee filters and plastic bags. So EVERYONE is aware, this method is not a quick one. Consider yourself warned.
b28bda4d.jpg

When I finished planting/bagging everything, I stuck it in my tent which maintains about 81-84 and we shall keep our fingers crossed.

d3223e2c.jpg

parting shot
7464807f.jpg

Now it is time to PWN some 12 year olds in MW3. Peace!

Matt you finally see the true Douglah. The best pepper in the world. Great review !!!! Even though it had a lil scorp in the mix :beer:

LOL! It is about time! I am waiting for a reply/confirmation on the exact pods by SS, and then it is MATT VS THE BILLYBOY DOUGLAH!

Got a gift in the mail today. Very much appreciated buddy. They are as follows. Asian 1c??? Peach Bhut, Red Bhut, TS Yellow, Butch T, Jonah, Bhut Chocolate, Bhut Brown, Mystery 7Pot, Fatalli something, Red Scorpanero #2

Excellent peppers!!!

MGold.jpg

I am glad you got them quickly and I am sure you will enjoy them! The Asian is Assam Indian Carbon (Bhut Jolokia). Be careful.... :)

Matt, thank you for the little box that contains A LOT of HEAT!

65AD0EB4-F558-4564-99C0-5F180802F0D3-230-0000001B6443D4A8.jpg

don't be too surprised if you see them again though, well in a different form. You know what I like to do with good fresh pods. I'll be sure to post up some pics so you can see when you have access.

Matt, thank you for the little box that contains A LOT of HEAT!

65AD0EB4-F558-4564-99C0-5F180802F0D3-230-0000001B6443D4A8.jpg

don't be too surprised if you see them again though, well in a different form. You know what I like to do with good fresh pods. I'll be sure to post up some pics so you can see when you have access.

I knew you would have something in mind with them!! I wanted to get some out to you before I left, and I am glad you are gonna turn them into something amazing!

Enjoyed the vid Matt. Nice work handling that man handler. I like the flavor of those as well once you get past the fire. :)

Thanks SS, stay tuned! Tonight is my holy grail!

Hey Matt, put a nipple on that bottle for my man!! Your pepper passing love is rivaled by only Jamie. Altruism at it's finest sir!! There is no "I" in MGOLD86.

LOL! He REALLY wants it!

Thanks, I really appreciate it, but Jamie will never be reached!

And if you break the litte _ off the L then there is an I.... :)

That box you got from SS looks amazing that review look like you need a cigarette and beer after that beast took you for a ride lol. Awesome job hopefully the strain produces similar pods for me in flavor and heat. Great job buddy

That box you got from SS looks amazing that review look like you need a cigarette and beer after that beast took you for a ride lol. Awesome job hopefully the strain produces similar pods for me in flavor and heat. Great job buddy

Yea man, it took a bunch out of me!
Watch in HD!

So, this one was my White Whale. I am super excited to finally get my hands on it, and it couldn't come at a better time. Last season I did a review on a pod that I thought was a BB, however, the heat was just not there, and it didn't look anything like the pod. This one is a bit of pepper history. In a time when we have tons of crazy variations that seemingly pop up overnight, this I guess, could be considered one of the original "Pop ups".

Ok, time for a bit of pepper history. These Trinidad strains didn't just "make" there way over to the states...they were brought over by a chili grower named Sara. That is why you sometimes see the SR designator next to the pepper name (e.g. 7 Pot SR). The Billy Boy strain was one of those original strains. Sara brought over the Douglah variety, and Bent (an Aussie chiligrower), had one single, solitary seed. He managed to get that one seed to germinate, and grow to a mature plant. His buddy, Billy Boy, took a cutting of the original plant, and BAM! Billy Boy strain was born. These were shared among the OZ growers and a few growers from the states (Cappy). Anyways, this pod is extremely rare, and it is tough to find an ACTUAL BB strain. There are a bunch of fakes out there, and I have definitely got the real deal.

On Taste. I was bracing myself for a this one. I really didn't know what to expect. It was very similar to last night's This one had a very good taste, which I was not expecting. Thin skinned, light, floral. It was pretty quickly gone, as soon as the capsaicin kicked in, the taste took a backseat. I guess I have to rethink my Douglah taste aversion....

On Heat. First off, it wasn't as hot as expected. I think that it may have been starting to get really ripe; it is extremely difficult to keep the Douglah variety from going over since it is so thin skinned. But that had little effect, it was still a scorcher. It attacked the tongue, which was different from all the other Douglahs I have ever had. It lasted for about 5 mins, and then slowly cooled down. It wasn't the hottest, I would probably place it a tic below the Scorp and Douglah cross from last night. It had that bite, but wasn't as intense on the muscles.

Overall. This is a must grow in my book. It is one of the originals, it has crazy pod variation, and it has a great taste and crazy taste. I would love to pull one of these pods off the plant and pop one, gotta be amazing! Thanks again SS for hookin it up!

Check out SS's GLog http://thehotpepper.com/topic/30214-silver-surfers-2012-season-shots/

f-sorts-new-7-pot-brown-review/page__st__560#entry663811

file-31.jpg

Matt I just watched the Billy Boy vid, my first one of your videos, and wow what a pod! That looked intense. Now I've taken little nips of pods to get an idea of the flavor of them but haven't gone so far as to chow down on half a pod. You did a great job with it and the history, that's just a +++++

OK Matt. Since I am to chicken shit to do a video review, here is my review of four pods that I have eaten so far. The first is the black Hab since I just ate it and its most prominent in my mind. I took a small bite after cutting it in quarters lengthwise from the stem to the bottom. I bit a piece from the top, and the first thing that popped in my head was blueberries. It was sweet and had the taste of blueberries. The burn was mostly in my mouth, but keep in mind I took a small bite. The second pod is the peach bhut because it was the first pod I ate a couple days ago and I dont want to forget. It was mild in taste. It had a chinense taste with a slight taste of fruit. Very good. I like this pod and with the black hab. Will grow it. Sorry I didnt take a pic. The third is the Naga Morich. Loved this pod. No pics Sorry. I was so excited to try the pods I forgot to take pics. The taste was chinense with fruit kinda. I need another one to make sure. I will grow next year. The Jonah so far is my favorite. The first bite was definite strawberry. Lots and lots of long lasting heat. Delicious. Sweet. My pods are no doubt probably over ripe. The black hab was soft. But I think you get the taste of the fruit most when they are over ripe and less of the heat so you can really tell what they taste like. I will let you know what I think of the others soon..... Tonight.. HMMMM I don't know... Will decide later. Just grateful I have a choice. Thanks :dance: :fireball: :onfire:

Wow...I felt that burn just watching! Great job keeping it together through the pain! Great review brother! Looking forward to they next couple!
Shane

Hey Matt, I haven't been able to drop in here as much as I'd like lately due to my schedule, but I did want to quickly post something. Thanks for your service to our country. I cannot imagine leaving my family behind to serve in the way you are in the areas you are, so from the bottom of my heart, thank you. Be safe and convert some soldiers into chiliheads. I'll keep you in my prayers.

By the way, loved your review on the peach bhut, I'm really enjoying that pepper as well. It's a very good one.

Another great review Matt. Thanks

Thanks Pia! It was a blast. SS has definitely got the new hotness!

Excellent review. I look forward to seeing your red and jonah reviews coming up. The history is just great stuff.

Thanks Jeff, I was really looking forward to video reviewing those, but didn't get a chance before they started to turn. I have photos and a brief explanation below.

Matt I just watched the Billy Boy vid, my first one of your videos, and wow what a pod! That looked intense. Now I've taken little nips of pods to get an idea of the flavor of them but haven't gone so far as to chow down on half a pod. You did a great job with it and the history, that's just a +++++

Thanks Bill. I really enjoy the reviews, until I get hit in the gut. Then a week later I am chompin at the bits to pull another ripe pod off the plant! I had to do a bit of research on this one. It was a bit of tracking down some good Aussies to get the info, they definitely have some crazy varieties!

OK Matt. Since I am to chicken shit to do a video review, here is my review of four pods that I have eaten so far. The first is the black Hab since I just ate it and its most prominent in my mind. I took a small bite after cutting it in quarters lengthwise from the stem to the bottom. I bit a piece from the top, and the first thing that popped in my head was blueberries. It was sweet and had the taste of blueberries. The burn was mostly in my mouth, but keep in mind I took a small bite. The second pod is the peach bhut because it was the first pod I ate a couple days ago and I dont want to forget. It was mild in taste. It had a chinense taste with a slight taste of fruit. Very good. I like this pod and with the black hab. Will grow it. Sorry I didnt take a pic. The third is the Naga Morich. Loved this pod. No pics Sorry. I was so excited to try the pods I forgot to take pics. The taste was chinense with fruit kinda. I need another one to make sure. I will grow next year. The Jonah so far is my favorite. The first bite was definite strawberry. Lots and lots of long lasting heat. Delicious. Sweet. My pods are no doubt probably over ripe. The black hab was soft. But I think you get the taste of the fruit most when they are over ripe and less of the heat so you can really tell what they taste like. I will let you know what I think of the others soon..... Tonight.. HMMMM I don't know... Will decide later. Just grateful I have a choice. Thanks :dance: :fireball: :onfire:

LOL! Don't worry about the video, as long as you enjoyed the peppers, I don't mind if you eat em underwater! Great description, I am so happy that you enjoyed them!

Wow...I felt that burn just watching! Great job keeping it together through the pain! Great review brother! Looking forward to they next couple!
Shane

It definitely had quite the burn! Like I mentioned to Bill, I was planning on busting through the others, but work got in the way....damn guv'ment.... They were amazing though!

Hey everyone, Matt's going to be heading out soon so i'm hyjacking his Glog for just a minute to say, head over to:

http://thehotpepper....rs/#entry692487

and leave him a litte message, wish him the best. He's told me he'll have internet so he'll be checking in with us.

I now return you to Matt's regularly scheduled logg.

HEY MATT, HOW ABOUT A QUICK UPDATE BEFORE YOU OM?

THREAD JACKER THREAD JACKER THREAD JACKER!!!!

Hey Matt, I haven't been able to drop in here as much as I'd like lately due to my schedule, but I did want to quickly post something. Thanks for your service to our country. I cannot imagine leaving my family behind to serve in the way you are in the areas you are, so from the bottom of my heart, thank you. Be safe and convert some soldiers into chiliheads. I'll keep you in my prayers.

By the way, loved your review on the peach bhut, I'm really enjoying that pepper as well. It's a very good one.

Thanks Andy! Trust me, Bill has armed me enough "supplies" to convert the country! I know how work can keep you busy, I am feeling that right now! Thanks for stopping in though, I appreciate it!

Ok folks, I know not much of an update, but I have a few photos from the past few days.

First up, the Billy Boy Jonah

file-35.jpg

I have decided. The search is over. I can retire. etc, etc, etc. My favorite chilipepper is the 7 Pot Jonah. In my opinion, it is the perfect pepper. It has an amazingly fruity taste, with a super hard biting heat, but that flavor shines through with the little bits of freedom in the captivity that is the Jonah. To add to that, the plant throws off loads of pods that have a great cream color with purple stripe beginning, turning to Orange, and then to a spikey, blood red. Wow. I think you can tell how much I love this pepper. Sauce, powder, fresh, whatever, buy it, trade for it, grow it, live it.... This BB was no exception. It had the same flavor profile, and the same crippling heat. It isn't every day that you come across a pod that has it all. I know that Grant has a yellow Jonah, and it WILL be grown in my garden in the future. I am going to spend the next 9 months of my life sketching out plans for Jonah crosses, to produce a household of little jonah babies. :)

Next, the Billy Boy Douglah Red

file-36.jpg

You know, my tolerance has definitely gone up this season. Before, this thing would have brought me to my knees, but after SS's other pods, this was right in step with that level. It is full of oil, has a great taste, and burns my head. A bonus is the shape, I mean, how cool does it look?!?

We are getting a downpour of rain and I decided to pull one last harvest and then leave the plants for the neighbor kid and his buddies to pick clean as long as they produce. I got a load of pods and some may turn into sauce, some were sent out in the last couple pkgs, and the others will get frozen to be played with next summer when I return. Here is a snap.
file-33.jpg

And I pulled this Naga Morich.
file-34.jpg

I already have plenty of seeds for Naga Moriches that I pulled earlier in the season, but this one I can't pass up. Bigger, Redder, and Spikey-er!

I am MGOLD86 and I approve this message.

Matt another awesome harvest and shots I am adding the 7 pot jonah yellow to my list for next season so I will stash some seeds for you. Spikey Naga Morich that is awesome my not 7 pod primo red is doing the same thing. Great season you had this year buddy

Yup Ditto Fernando. Great harvest as usual. Good luck and stay safe. I ate the delicious Assam in honor of your deployment and safe return. DAMN THAT THING WAS HOTTTTT. I admit I ate half of a half with food. But still. Good God Almighty it was hot. Sheesh. But it was GOOOODDDDDDD. I couldnt stop eating it. ahaaaaa My mouth gave out on me Damn Judas, and I had to baggie the rest for later. oh well.. Another day another pod. Stay safe and dont forget the wet ones... :onfire: :onfire:

Wow Matt another blunt of peppers. You have some really great plants there and when you keep them happy they keep you in peppers. That Nags Morich is both beautiful and terrible cause you know its going to hurt you. Love the spikiness and man that's a great Color. I can just see a sauce that shade. Nice.

Back