• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Nachos!

Tried my hand at doing Mexican for the first time ever and ended up with this.... 

The foundation and some homemade guacamole. I got NFI what guacamole is supposed to taste like, never done it before....it ended up tasting flat, like it was missing something.I noticed some recipes include Tabasco. So I added a good dash of Tabasco and a fair whack of lime juice and it perked it up nicely. 
nacho1_zps1d040b91.jpg

Beef, Kidney Beans, chopped onion, crushed tomatoes and a decent helping of Cumin, Coriander, Cayenne pepper and Chilli flakes simmering away
nacho2_zps25a8044b.jpg

splooge
nacho3_zps6ec5d753.jpg

uber splooge
nacho4_zpscd023cfd.jpg

This is how far  I got before throwing in the towel
nacho5_zps307da01c.jpg

That's my dinner for the rest of the month taken care of!   :D 

As we all know, Mexican food kicks ass, and thus this can be the official nacho thread. Show us your wizardry! 

Nacho bum, tejas approves. But they want you to give up the stocks. No real Texan eats nachos with a green wheat grass shake.

I see raw chicken.

Where's the fucking nachos?

What a gip.

And no "gip" is not a derogatory term as I am both hungarian and gypsy.

Again I say....

Where's the fucking nachos????

Fry your own corn tortilla chips like restaurants do. The bag stuff is not the same and horrible for nachos. I hate them for nachos too. I've tried to figure out why restaurant chips are so different. They are crispy and a smooth texture almost like a flour one. The bag versions are bumpy and crumbly. I believe it is in the cooking process. A restaurant fries the already made tortilla. I believe the bag version is fried from a raw state in a mold or similar. 

What I do is buy them plain from restaurants for like $2 for chips and salsa and nachos. If anyone knows why the bag chips are so different please chime in.

They are literally so different I once thought restaurants used flour (long time ago, due to the difference in texture etc.).

Yeah, I'm curious too ...

The tortillas "chips" are a tiny bit dry, but they hold up through 30 mins of eating and they are the same the second day if you re-heat the leftovers.

I would like a crispier chip that held up, though ... so I'm interested too ...

I wanted to start a topic on this and never did so that post will do.

But I think at the plant where they fry these chips for bags they are frying the masa and not the tortilla. The tortilla is pressed flat and already cooked hence the smooth fried chip, but frying the masa would result in a bumpier more brittle chip, like a Dorito or Tostito. I wonder if they have molds or freeze triangles or something. Maybe they are steamed or somehow precooked differently or just cooked raw. They really do not lend well to nachos, and salsas, they work, but still prefer restaurant.

I tried to google it once to no avail. Maybe one of those old "Unwapped" shows went to the Doritos plant. 

I sometimes I use Fritos dipping-size chips ...

The bigger issue is with FreeportBum's powder ...

Right now he's laughing.

Tomorrow I'll be crying.

That hot.

Happy to send you some - I have more than my sphincter could possible handle over the next three years.

grantmichaels said:
Happy to send you some - I have more than my sphincter could possible handle over the next three years.

Thanks, I'm good.

The more I think about it, I guess they fry the raw tortilla before the tortilla is made. Basically they skip a step. It results in a bumpier more brittle chip. That's my guess.

Nice nachos. :D

Ohh I see my own sauce that I gift you!!

Yep, and when you will accept, I'm going to return the gesture by sending you some bottles from folks here (as I don't make sauce - yet)!

Back