New to Smoking

I use a weber kettle I got for free; the bottom damper is rusted where it's barely cracked, and I create a small fire using oak charcoal, wait until it gets to be coals, then put on a mix of either hickory and mesquite, or apple and cherry that's been soaking in water for 6 hours. then i put the meat or peppers in a metal basket on the top grate, opposite the fire and close the top dampener about 3/4 of the way and place it above the basket so it creates a swirling action inside with nice thick whitish blue smoke; it takes a lot of tending and about 6 hours but the results come out pretty awesome if i pay attention to it. wish I had the money and space for a setup like you're getting

I used to use a weber, still have intact, but only really use it for Roasts now.

and i dont have the money, got the space, still trying to find the coin... haha

On Aussie BBQ they talked about all the typical fruit tree woods but also mentioned Ti Tree, French oak wine barrels and Red gum, good in moderation but must be well dried. Also in other locations on the interwebs was mention of Australian Mesquite. The post said it grows as a weed in the Pilbera, Bunnings sells it as chips and dust though it might just be a WA thing.

You do have to be careful of a lot of Australian woods though as some can be poisonous. which is why I think that the Red gum has to be well dried so that the resins and sap will be gone.

Correct RM, i will have to ask again the guy building my smoker, as he also runs a Trailer Smoker for festivals/functions etc. I do remember talking about what types he uses etc. but cannot remember.

Redgum is sometimes used, must be dry, but also has a very strong flavour, sometimes to intense for the meats.

Also got a call last night, 2 weeks minimum on pickup, could be 3-4, getting excited

In my opinion you don't need a charcoal box for a stick burner. That's what the side firebox is for! Just make sure there is a bottom grate and a damper on the side and fill that sucker up. There will be plenty of airflow. Plus it will just take up room, what if you want to burn sticks?

If you're set on the idea, well you could build a little cage around the damper. This would cost WAY less and do the same. Just a little square mesh that sticks out an inch so the coals don't press against it. Or a side grate/fence. Boom. But the box is overkill, the firebox is the box.

Charcoal box for UDS? Yes.

Funny you say that THP about the damper, as thats what the phone call last night was about. The main chamber, and firebox is done, sitting on its body and wheels now. He asked me whether i wanted a damper installed on the firebox, so that i could control the flow more.

YES YES YES!

Like your own picture in post 20. Never seen one w/o.

Hey Booma, I was trying to think of what your builder meant by a damper on the firebox, since it NEEDS it to work, OKAY I think I get it now... he meant an additional damper (smokestack) on the top of the firebox. You don't want that for extra control, as you say, you want all the smoke pushing through the main chamber. You only want two dampers, one entry (side of firebox) one exit (far side smokestack). Anyway I think that's what he meant because if he just meant the regular one he's never built a smoker before, lol.

THP, to clarify, your correct with the 2 x dampers, one on entry of firebox, has to be there.
Also a damper on the chimney stack.

He was asking whether I wanted an additional adjustable damper that goes on the exit side of the firebox.
He doesn't put them on the smaller pits, but has found them to be useful on the larger ones, useful for eliminating the hotspot ( if required ) on exit of firebox

He has been building pits for about 10-15 years, but even now he says there are still new ideas/theories in his designs

Was so so close, 2 days until I pick up my smoker, then a phone call.

All ready for pickup, but the guy is hosting a "Carnivores Ball" and would like to have my smoker on display to promote his products. I'm going along to the ball/BBQ devouring event, so it didn't bother me, but will now have to wait 4 weeks until I can pick it up.

Oh we'll, he's making some chimney starters for me, to say thanks

Firebox dampers are pretty handy for adjusting the temperature in your cooking chamber. It allows you to partially close off the firebox if temperatures are too high, or open it up if temperatures are too low. I wish I had one on my offset.

Booma said:
He was asking whether I wanted an additional adjustable damper that goes on the exit side of the firebox.
He doesn't put them on the smaller pits, but has found them to be useful on the larger ones, useful for eliminating the hotspot ( if required ) on exit of firebox

Well got to finally see my smoker last nighy, but didnt get any pics of it... haha oh well, should have it sitting on the deck in a week or so.

Had a carnivores ball last night, all the food was prepped by the guy who built my smoker, and hosted by Burgermary.

Brisket, beef rib, potato salad and chipotle coleslaw. Pie for dessert. Tasty night!!!

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0318.JPG

Damn that's a feast. All of that looks awesome. I bet you can't wait for your smoker. How did it look?

What?!?!?!? You had your smoker on display with Burger Mary at the meat-eaters-ball, and no pics?

I thought I knew you. :mope:

Back