• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2016

Ok, I wasn't going to do a glog this year. So many projects going on with the house, but part of that is a new garden plot. So, I guess this is the best way to document progress. I'm running a drip irrigation this year to free up my time for other things. Last year I discovered Aerogardening. I started plants late last year I the Aerogarden. They ended up producing and being just as big as my Feb. starts. Sold on hydro! This year I acquired another AG from a thrift shop for $5. I hacked it with a bigger pump and planning on a led hack as well. Next year I'm running a bigger scale hydro setup with my DIY Cob Led build. Anyways I'm on my 3rd batch of AG starts. I'm growing lots of GoatsWeed, Carolina Cayenne, Thai, Chi-Chien, Sadabahar, Chiltepin, Cayenne Long, Aji Pinapple, Genghis Khan Brain, Jay's Red, Srtsl x Bbg and there might be a couple of ones I forgot. Enough talk, here's some pics. More pics when it stops raining. 43 days from seed Aero Babies.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 136
Nothing like a little OCD!  Your grow looks great, Chuck!

The SIPs are intriguing - I have always thought it seems like a great idea.
The garden plot looks awesome, as well!

OCD Chilehead said:
Ok, I wasn't going to do a glog this year. So many projects going on with the house, but part of that is a new garden plot. So, I guess this is the best way to document progress. I'm running a drip irrigation this year to free up my time for other things. Last year I discovered Aerogardening. I started plants late last year I the Aerogarden. They ended up producing and being just as big as my Feb. starts. Sold on hydro! This year I acquired another AG from a thrift shop for $5. I hacked it with a bigger pump and planning on a led hack as well. Next year I'm running a bigger scale hydro setup with my DIY Cob Led build. Anyways I'm on my 3rd batch of AG starts. I'm growing lots of GoatsWeed, Carolina Cayenne, Thai, Chi-Chien, Sadabahar, Chiltepin, Cayenne Long, Aji Pinapple, Genghis Khan Brain, Jay's Red, Srtsl x Bbg and there might be a couple of ones I forgot. Enough talk, here's some pics. More pics when it stops raining. 43 days from seed Aero Babies.

OCD Chilehead said:
That's the plan anyway. The drip emitter line works great. Thanks for the tip. I went with 1gph. I need to go through and pick the little pieces of plastic out of some of the holes. Probably not necessary, but it couldn't hurt. I'm going to put my pots in a row next to the privacy fence and shed. I will run a solid line with emitter's to water my pot's. It's amazing how much time this will save me watering.

Here is a pic of my cool compost shredder.

Looking awesome man! That shredder is gonna be your best friend. 

stickman said:
That's gotta be fun... hanging out with your son and showing him how to do stuff. I always enjoyed spending time with my Dad, and I learned a lot too. Your setup is really coming together Chuck, hopefully the weather co-operates this summer. Cheers!
Devv said:
It's really great your son enjoys working in the garden with you. Not only is it good one on one time but he learns a very useful skill. ;)

And Rick's correct about BER hit it right on the head, kinda funny how calcium rich soil raises the PH and then in turn retards calcium uptake. Leading to BER. My trick is to add the calcium using calmag via a foilar application. It simply won't work added to a watering program, at least here, believe me I tried. 1 tsp per 1 gallon applied with a standard watering can, 2 times a week if weather permits while fruit are emerging and small, done early in the morning, or later in the day when very overcast. In fact any foilar application should follow those rules. I get 50% BER loss with tomatoes if I do nothing. So far zero with early girl, and a low percentage with San Marzano's, Roma's just won't do it here. But the trick really helps peppers as well, I just get nicer larger pods.

Garden looks great Chuck!
FreeportBum said:
Everything looks great, best of luck this season. Cheers
PaulG said:
Nothing like a little OCD!  Your grow looks great, Chuck!

The SIPs are intriguing - I have always thought it seems like a great idea.
The garden plot looks awesome, as well!
Pepper-Guru said:

Looking awesome man! That shredder is gonna be your best friend. 
Thanks guys!!

Here is a small update. I got all the drip in. Planted some tomatillo in between the peppers for shade. Got a yard of screened compost mulch. I covered the garden, pots and raised beds with it. Going to brew some compost tea this week. Then I'll be done for awhile. Still trying to get the hydro transplant super's back to health. I had to strip a bunch of leaves. I let them get rootbound. Rookie mistake.

Here some pics of gardens past I found.

Pre garden area
image.jpeg

1st chile grow
image.jpeg

2nd chile grow
image.jpeg

I couldn't find a pic of last year's grow. Here is today's update.

Mulched garden, pots, boxes and hydro transplants.
Mulch.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    301.3 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 70
stickman said:
Your grow gets more ambitious every year Chuck... looking good! I'll be interested in hearing how the dripline works out for you this season. Cheers!
Thanks Rick. It has been a great experience. Growing in the Rockies is nothing like San Diego. Had a bit of a learning curve.
tctenten said:
Nice looking garden. I did not mulch this year and the weeds have been unbearable. You will be swimming in peppers come harvest time.
Im hoping so. Already planning next year's grow. LoL!
I just watched a show on planting garlic. That will give me something to look forward to this Fall, when the peppers and tomatoes are harvested.

Thanks guys. Trying something new is always a challenge.

Thanks for stopping by.
Devv said:
Chuck, you've outdone yourself!

it just gets better every year :party:
Im looking at you as an example. Don't let me down Scott. LOL!

As you can see, I'm already working on next years amendments. This year didn't go as planned pepperwise, but I have until December. And I have every intention of succeeding.

Ok, so the garlic and chile pest deterrent that I made didn't work. I found this stuff at Wally World. It has a bunch of stinky stuff in it. It says it won't harm plants. For dogs and cats. Anybody have any thoughts? I would probably dilute it down, as not to ruin my plants. It's pretty strong smelling. Don't know about the sodium lauryl sulfate.
image.jpeg
image.png

I made up a compost tea to spray the plants with. I'll make up a drench tonight.
image.jpeg

Anybody have any idea what this tree is? My nieghbor has a couple growing wild by the creek. Purple leaves.
image.jpeg

I wouldn't worry about Sodium Laurel Sulfate... it's a surfactant and foaming agent made from coconut oil. They put it in toothpaste and baby shampoo too. It's probably in your stinky goo to help it coat the leaves evenly. You could do the same thing at home with a few drops of dishwashing degergent in warm water. Good luck with the new stuff...

I have no clue what those purple-leaved trees are, but the fruit looks like they might  be cherries or plums.

So just what is bothering your plants? Your place is fenced right?

kudos on the tea, I need to make some...I need more hours, or is it energy..LOL

stickman said:
I wouldn't worry about Sodium Laurel Sulfate... it's a surfactant and foaming agent made from coconut oil. They put it in toothpaste and baby shampoo too. It's probably in your stinky goo to help it coat the leaves evenly. You could do the same thing at home with a few drops of dishwashing degergent in warm water. Good luck with the new stuff...

I have no clue what those purple-leaved trees are, but the fruit looks like they might  be cherries or plums.
Thanks Rick, I just want the little buggers to go elsewhere.

Devv said:
So just what is bothering your plants? Your place is fenced right?

kudos on the tea, I need to make some...I need more hours, or is it energy..LOL
Thanks Scott, I have grasshoppers. They ruin about a pound of peppers every year. Can't stand them. I'm trying to keep the weeds down. They live to hang out in the weeds in the day, and my garden at night.

Found a bunch of these in the garden yesterday. Looks like baby squash beetles? Don't know. Wish I could get a better pic. Sorry
image.jpeg

good luck with the compost tea, hopefully things will green up

especially those young ones look to me like they are hurtin for some nitrogen 

unfortunately outdoors sacrifices to the insect gods must be made, it's the cost of doing business i think

Yeah, the grasshoppers have moved into my garden as well. I locked the birds out, so they're having a party!
But the birds do more damage (to tomatoes), I started thinning things out this morning and the bird netting is about 2 weeks from being removed. If you grow organic, some will always go to the "locals". So I just plant more..LOL

Back